Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,445,772 times

Advertisements

Amazon.co.uk will be your friend in this case. And we've been using credit cards in the UK for decades - we've certainly been using debit cards long before the US.

Your TV-watching options will be a bit less even with cable or satellite but at least it will give you good insight into the Brit character . And you'll be in a really lovely part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,263,719 times
As chilaili said, you can get a lot of American products on amazon.co.uk (shipped from UK, no duty) although you'll pay a premium (naturally).

Amazon.co.uk: American: Grocery

Another company popular with the expats is American Sweets. If you look at the prices, you'll see why I recommend bringing your favourite snackfoods (snackfoods seem to be something that people really miss) Buy American Cereal In the UK! Fantastic Range & Prices! I order salsa off there occassionally, and also these babies!

16floz American Vlasic Kosher Baby Dill Pickles

Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,142,563 times
This may be obvious and you've probably already checked but have a look to see if the Base has a Facebook page or it's own site with a family forum. They'd probably have plenty of information for you.

I know British Forces Bases overseas have sites like the ones above to help new postings and i don't see why US ones would be any different.

Hope that's been of some help and good luck and "Welcome to our fair land!"

Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,671,676 times
You can check up for availability of goods at UK site of amazon.
Amazon.co.uk: Low Prices in Electronics, Books, Sports Equipment & more

In this way you can save the shipping charges from us to uk . you can shop at amazon uk as long as you have uk address. also look at Argos.
Argos.co.uk for Toys, Home Furnishings, Personal Care & more

Buy voltage converter and adapter from walmart in USA as plugs will be different here (sockets) as well as voltage.
Dont just rely on credit cards as in UK credit cards also run on pins and many places have difficulty in processing US credit cards. once you come to UK, you will open bank account and you will get debit card-so use that. also I beleive checking account is called current account in UK. regarding food, what type of food items you are buying in US I guess you can find everything in UK as far as food is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgirl View Post
An open mind huh - thats an interesting comment. We are really excited about the move; however, we are aware that it is not the US and things will be different. So I guess we can say we are coming over with an open mind.

Re: electronics, we have been looking at our items to see if they would be okay, but about half are not. We figure we would just buy run-of-the-mill items when we get there. No need for them to be fancy. So I guess we will have to bring some $$$. Do most stores deal with credit cards - or do they deal more in terms of currency?

Interesting about the dental floss - I guess we will stock up on those. Although at time pricier to buy things via amazon or ebay while in the states, I was thinking we could use those avenues to buy certain foods and items and just have them shipped. Does anyone buy via amazon.com or ebay? Any problems with customs, etc.?

Thanks again everyone for your comments. RedJacket - sorry but Snookie will have to stay here

Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,229,748 times
Some really good tips above. Definitely buy a converter that will allow you to plug some US electronic items in at the UK power source. You can pick them up on Amazon for cheap. You cannot use a US television in the UK but you can use most other electronic items. If you have a laptop, iPad etc then these will all work fine with a standard converter (I used to buy most of my electronic stuff in the US as it was cheaper).

I wouldnt worry too much about food items etc. you don't need it and you will run out anyway. The UK has everything you could need and more, the supermarkets have a great selection, and it's moved on from the days when everything closed at 5pm (well, somewhat anyway!).

If you need a cell phone you can buy 'pay as you go' phones for as little as £5 with no contract.. It's a good way to get started. Checking accounts are called 'current accounts' in the UK - you will want to open one ASAP.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,543,740 times
Don't worry about food--the food over there is excellent. Wait til you see their beautiful grocery stores. They have EVERYTHING. It's much easier to find organic food and foods that don't have a lot of obnoxious additives. Even their frozen foods are better than what we have available here.

But DO take clothing with you. Their clothing selection is on the pathetic side and it's expensive even for things that aren't very good quality. On the other hand, they don't need clothes for really cold winters or for really hot summers so you don't need clothing for the extreme temperatures that we have over here.

Take shirts, mostly long sleeved, sweaters, jackets, trousers, dresses and skirts. Take shoes. Find styles that are classic and will last. Just don't try to buy clothing over there or you'll get sticker shock really bad.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,561,106 times
As a Brit living in the US and about to move back to Europe I would suggest going outlet shopping and buying Nike running shoes (if you exercise and need them), R Lauren/Hilfiger is really cheap in the US compared to the UK. However the lingerie selection even in department stores is better in the UK if you are not a standard 34B....
generally though I agree that clothing in the UK is not great quality but its more fashion led so people buy that seasons colors/styles wear them wash them and give them to charity after couple of months because they aren't 'in fashion' anymore.... I would visit Top Shop/H&M every week and throw one outfit for every one I bought.... classics/staples are a different story.
We have bought mountain bikes and BBQ and are shipping them because our shipment is paid by the company.
Keep your Apple iTunes US acct and load money on it if there are US TV shows you can't live without - you can download them. Just don't tell them you have moved !! If you run out of credit and have registered your cards in the UK then get someone to buy iTunes US gift cards for you and this should work..
food wise I'm not sure there really is anything you won't be able to get in the UK. You might have to pay a little more but its a cost balance between shipping/ storing stuff and paying a few extra $$$ she you realize you can't I've without it...
if you have any specific medicines I would buy them as there are differences in what can be sold over the counter... however in the UK you can actually ask the pharmacist about small problems and they are qualified to help if its not something that needs medical attention.... If I had a skin rash or similar I would just ask the pharmacist what he thought before going to see a doctor. Here in the US you get a spotty teenager in CVS who doesn't know acne from measles...... IME !! and I would also do a price compare using price runner . co . uk for other things you think you might want....
Tesco.co.uk and sainsburys.co.uk have online shopping (and they deliver !!) so you can see the product range and check the prices.
One last one is that no one ( apart from maybe my 75 year old mother) uses a check book.... everything is debit / credit card.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 PM

16,599 posts, read 17,363,130 times
Oi! I've got a cheque book!

How else will I pay tradesmen or send monies safely through the post?

Might be a good idea for a thread.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,263,719 times
I use cheques all the time as well - I was amazed by how many people and companies take them! Such a change from North America. Everyone from the plumber to the osteopath to the fruit and veg man will take a cheque! And I'm not 75!

Swisswife mentioned BBQs - I really wish I had brought mine over. Gas BBQs here are extortionist in price! (And MANY people prefer charcoal, which is perhaps why the gas ones are so pricey?) I had an excellent BBQ that I got for a great price in Canada - and I suspect they are even less expensive in the USA, but didn't bring it and once I got here, I couldn't afford to buy a comparable one. I have settled for a very basic one. If you use your BBQ a lot and have a nice one, bring it (don't bring your tank) - you can just change the end connector here to fit the tanks they use here.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 05-31-2012 at 01:49 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,142,563 times
Whoaaaaaah! Newsflash!

sunshineleith, your not 75?.... older?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom