U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 AM

2,667 posts, read 2,397,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Indeed it's long overdue. Being Australian I consider myself a cultural child of the UK...
Let me know if/when you do. I'm hoping to be back there permanently ASAFingP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM

24,693 posts, read 19,060,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Because you watch Little Britain, there is no wonder you have this impression by basing a TV show as being the whole of Britain. We have some of the worlds smartest pioneers and inventors whom came from Britain (majorty were Scots) .

The UK is one of the most civilized nations of the world who had the most powerful empire at one time, because of brains not just brawn.
I don't deny that. And no, I don't watch Little Britain as a documentary lol...

Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Let me know if/when you do. I'm hoping to be back there permanently ASAFingP.
Hopefully next year, but I'll definitely come soon!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,397,783 times
Quote:
Hopefully next year, but I'll definitely come soon!
I should be there because the though of being in the US for another month is not preferable, but another year.....no way Jose!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I should be there because the though of being in the US for another month is not preferable, but another year.....no way Jose!
So you're not happy in the States?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 PM

4,267 posts, read 7,299,126 times
Woah woah woah, no hijacking the thread!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,141,461 times
Quote:
People compare the two, but it's a totally different kind of reservedness. New Englanders are not like English people at all, in general. People are more selectively reserved, yet brash in New England. The sense of humour there is totally different and people are much tougher nuts to crack than in most parts of England, where it really doesn't take much to break the ice. The reservedness in Britain is generally borne out of natural shyness, rather than an "I'm better than you and you have to earn your corn before you are worthy of speaking to me" type of deal.
Agree 100%.
The reserved English seemed rather shy and not necessarily opposed to connecting.
On the other hand, I even sensed a slight touch of hostility in the reservedness of New Englanders.
We were happily out of there after 2 years but are still dreaming of returning to the UK somehow.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That's true. Although they may come across as being shy I think the English are natural conversationalists.
Every English person I have met in the US (after I left the UK where I lived for a year) happened to be a very good conversationalist. I was actually quire frustrated because in 14 years of living in the US I never met conversationalists like that - and I DO come in contact frequently with people with tons of grad degrees. The English just seem to be made of a different stock.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
It depends where you go/who you meet - England, Scotland, NI, Wales all have a diverse bunch of people. You cannot tar us all with the same brush.

We all have our own characteristics and charm, which makes us unique.
Well...sure...but when you look at the big picture, you CAN see trends.
I thought only Americans were infected with "particularitis".

Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,124,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Well...sure...but when you look at the big picture, you CAN see trends.
I thought only Americans were infected with "particularitis".
The UK is made up of different countries, which makes us "diverse" just because I do not look at this on a "black and white" level doesn´t mean I am any lesser entitled to share my opinion than anyone else here.

Last edited by Scotslass; 07-03-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom