Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
I don't get what's so great about 24 hour opening times for shops or pubs. Since when was that any sort of measure of a decent society? Or the fact that shops must be open on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday. Frankly, if you need to buy toilet roll at three in the morning you have some serious problems!
Useful for people who work nights or socially awkward people like me who don't like crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:47 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Or aluminum as al-u-MIN-i-UM?

Just kidding. This Texas Yank is a big fan of British culture and can't wait to visit your beautiful country later this year.
That's because it is Aluminium and not Aluminum.

World Wide Words: Aluminium versus aluminum

PS Good luck on your UK visit. Hope you have a great time.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
That's because it is Aluminium and not Aluminum.

World Wide Words: Aluminium versus aluminum

PS Good luck on your UK visit. Hope you have a great time.

In the UK it is aluminium and in the US it is aluminum.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Useful for people who work nights or socially awkward people like me who don't like crowds.
LOL. Nice try but I'm not falling for it - close the shops for longer I say!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I love popping to a 24 hour late at night. Easier to get your shopping done, plus handy for if you are peckish after a night on the town.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
It was handy when I worked nights too.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Well, it certainly seems that 24 hour opening is popular with Scots Nationalists. I hope Alex is reading to get ideas for his next manifesto!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
As a visitor to the UK I noticed well behaved, courteous people and a well run country. A beautiful countryside that is very well maintained in the parts I saw. Great pub culture and people enjoying each others company. Brits tend to make friends for the long haul and not just make friends in order to get something out of it for themselves, imo.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
People compare the two, but it's a totally different kind of reservedness. New Englanders are not like English people at all, in general. People are more selectively reserved, yet brash in New England. The sense of humour there is totally different and people are much tougher nuts to crack than in most parts of England, where it really doesn't take much to break the ice. The reservedness in Britain is generally borne out of natural shyness, rather than an "I'm better than you and you have to earn your corn before you are worthy of speaking to me" type of deal.

It's worth noting to the OP that although England is small, there are wide regional variations anyway and a north / south divide that while less prevalent than in the past, still exists.

The English are no more/less socially awkward or reserved than other northern Europeans, in my experience.

I don't like the binge drinking culture though and chavs **** me off.
Wait. I'm a New Englander and I saw that.

New England is one of the most diverse melting pots of any place in the entire USA. You've got the first immigrants, who were British, in the 1600s and 1700s, then on top of that you add in millions of Irish in the 1800s and then a little bit later, throw in millions of Italians and you get Massachusetts, which is where I have lived my entire life.

There's also a good amount of every nationality you can imagine. So which one are you criticizing when you say we're selectively reserved and brash?

I'm all British by blood/background--Yorkshire on one side, most lines traced back to the 1600s and a few to much earlier. On the other side I've got the Puritans--more English through and through. I am reserved and shy and am definitely not brash. On the Puritan side the people became farmers, on the Yorkshire side who came over not that long ago, there can be snobs in the older generation. Maybe the more recent Yorkshire people fit your stereotype a little bit but the generations of simple hard working farmers definitely do not.

Maybe it's the Irish who rule the Boston are who are brash? Or is it our Italian friends?

I would agree with you that many of the people (of whatever background) who live in Boston and its suburbs are snobby and cold. They are kings and queens of the Put Down and they revel in one-up-man-ship. (however you spell it). Name droppers and place droppers. No fun to be around them. But that's not ALL of them, not even ALL Bostonians are cold and reserved. Brash?

It certainly is not ALL New Englanders either.

The further you get from Boston the nicer and more relaxed the people get. In general. Go up to New Hampshire, Maine or Vermont and you can see more of what the real New Englanders are like--salt of the earth. Maybe you are judging New England by its main city but cities anywhere will have loud, competitive people who are always in a hurry and don't have time to say hi to you.

I agree, I like England better than the US. Except for the binge drinking, most things seem to be better in England. My English friends and relatives are fun and I enjoy them. I just had to defend my native New England against unjust criticism.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wait. I'm a New Englander and I saw that.

New England is one of the most diverse melting pots of any place in the entire USA. You've got the first immigrants, who were British, in the 1600s and 1700s, then on top of that you add in millions of Irish in the 1800s and then a little bit later, throw in millions of Italians and you get Massachusetts, which is where I have lived my entire life.

There's also a good amount of every nationality you can imagine. So which one are you criticizing when you say we're selectively reserved and brash?

I'm all British by blood/background--Yorkshire on one side, most lines traced back to the 1600s and a few to much earlier. On the other side I've got the Puritans--more English through and through. I am reserved and shy and am definitely not brash. On the Puritan side the people became farmers, on the Yorkshire side who came over not that long ago, there can be snobs in the older generation. Maybe the more recent Yorkshire people fit your stereotype a little bit but the generations of simple hard working farmers definitely do not.

Maybe it's the Irish who rule the Boston are who are brash? Or is it our Italian friends?

I would agree with you that many of the people (of whatever background) who live in Boston and its suburbs are snobby and cold. They are kings and queens of the Put Down and they revel in one-up-man-ship. (however you spell it). Name droppers and place droppers. No fun to be around them. But that's not ALL of them, not even ALL Bostonians are cold and reserved. Brash?

It certainly is not ALL New Englanders either.

The further you get from Boston the nicer and more relaxed the people get. In general. Go up to New Hampshire, Maine or Vermont and you can see more of what the real New Englanders are like--salt of the earth. Maybe you are judging New England by its main city but cities anywhere will have loud, competitive people who are always in a hurry and don't have time to say hi to you.

I agree, I like England better than the US. Except for the binge drinking, most things seem to be better in England. My English friends and relatives are fun and I enjoy them. I just had to defend my native New England against unjust criticism.
I lived there (Salem) for a year and that was my experience, for the most part. Granted, the culture shock was that I moved up there from living in Miami for 8 years, where people are virtually the exact opposite in every sense, but I found MA a beautiful, but tough place to live in terms of being able to make friends and "connect" with people on a one-to-one basis.

I did find many Bostonians in particular to be quite brash, though not necessarily rude (it was just their mannerisms). It's a beautiful city, but I agree with you that people seemed very snobby, stuck up and rather full of themselves, along with being overly obsessed with education.

I went to NH a few times and loved the scenery, thought it did have more of a "conservative" vibe. I'd love to drive through White Mountains again though.

Don't get me wrong, I love New England in terms of its rich history, scenery, old buildings and quirky towns and cities, but it was a difficult place to make friends. I always felt like I had to prove myself or go the extra mile to earn respect, just because I was not Joe Bloggs from down the street, if that makes sense? I don't want you to take my post as criticism, because it wasn't intended to be a bashing-type post. I just found the "reservedness" to be very different to how the British people are considered reserved. It definitely felt more selective in MA, rather than borne out of shyness or awkwardness.

I moved up there thinking that it would ease my homesickness because I'd find it to be more like the UK than Florida, but in reality, it was just as foreign (appearance of the cities aside). I really don't think there is anywhere in the US that is much like the UK or northern Europe. That's something I have now accepted, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom