Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:47 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,096,019 times

Advertisements

There has been changes, some of which are good and bad. Society in general has changed but in my opinion for the worst. Though that was only one of my posts I really do not miss the binge drinking culture or the anti social behavior, the yobs. The " I don't need to work" attitude really gets on my nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:04 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,912,533 times
"So how many shops stay open 24 hours now? Or don't close till 10pm every day of the week?"

In my town (Crawley) there are supermarkets open 24 hours a day (apart from Sunday, they close at 10pm Saturday and are then open 10am until 4.30pm Sunday) and many shops open until 10pm with 1 or 2 asian owned grocers that are open until midnight.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:11 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,479,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am allergic to "particularitis" because on American forums, that's pretty much where ALL discussions will derail. When you said "not everyone is this way", my allergy involuntarily returned.
Of course I do get your point and I can only imagine that England has become a whole lot more diverse than the way it looked during late 90's when I lived there.
Probably not much.. the influx of immigrants began in the 1960s.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,833,384 times
they are very ambivalent to their French cousins, there is a strange love-hate relationship there.
French posh/snob people usually love everything English (their favorite trademark in clothes being Burberry), whereas working class people -especially in the countryside and in the south - generally loathe everything British, to an extent that I suspect few people suspect on the other side of the Channel...

Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,434,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
"So how many shops stay open 24 hours now? Or don't close till 10pm every day of the week?"

In my town (Crawley) there are supermarkets open 24 hours a day (apart from Sunday, they close at 10pm Saturday and are then open 10am until 4.30pm Sunday) and many shops open until 10pm with 1 or 2 asian owned grocers that are open until midnight.
Yeay! Progress

Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,479,580 times
There are loads of 24 hour supermarkets.. my closest one stays open til 9pm Monday - Saturday but my nearest Tesco is open 24 hours Monday - Saturday.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,388,317 times
Honestly l can not find out faults..... the English system is very functional in any sense, even more the British humor is very intelligent challenging and really hilarious

Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,912,533 times
Yeay! Progress

Its been like that for quite a while now - I think the 'early closing' thing is just another one of those stereotypes that wont go away!! Also it isnt raining, my teeth are perfectly well looked after, you can get a drink here after 11pm if you want to, I wont be eating 'fish & chips' for my tea, everything isnt 'bloody brilliant' and I have a choice of around 80 tv channels to watch if I want to when I get home later! Also as I understand it French people dont all wear beret's and stripy jumpers and apparantly they dont all ride bicycles with onions 'stringed' around their necks!! LOL :-)

Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,434,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yeay! Progress

Its been like that for quite a while now - I think the 'early closing' thing is just another one of those stereotypes that wont go away!! Also it isnt raining, my teeth are perfectly well looked after, you can get a drink here after 11pm if you want to, I wont be eating 'fish & chips' for my tea, everything isnt 'bloody brilliant' and I have a choice of around 80 tv channels to watch if I want to when I get home later! Also as I understand it French people dont all wear beret's and stripy jumpers and apparantly they dont all ride bicycles with onions 'stringed' around their necks!! LOL :-)
The teeth thing bugs me as well truthfully. Where I live the locals think it's hilarious to go on and on and on about it. Then they actually visit the UK and come back all amazed by the "progress" the natives have apparently made. My hometown though does still have plenty of shops that seem to close at 6pm no matter what day it is.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,223,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
The teeth thing bugs me as well truthfully. Where I live the locals think it's hilarious to go on and on and on about it. Then they actually visit the UK and come back all amazed by the "progress" the natives have apparently made. My hometown though does still have plenty of shops that seem to close at 6pm no matter what day it is.

There is some truth to the bad teeth stereotype. The whole attitude to dentistry is different from the US. A lot of people have very bad teeth.. the attitude toward flossing for example is that it's an "American" thing to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom