Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Little Britain. Vicky Pollard. - YouTube

I know it's an exaggeration, but I just get the impression a lot of young Brits have trouble speaking their own language, and I'm not just talking slang. For some reason a lot of British teens I've spoken to online seem to have problem with basic spelling, comprehension, or an awareness of what should be very common knowledge about the world in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
That too, I forgot this one. Slightly-self deprecating humor tends to make a person very, very pleasant to others - and also, noble. The English know how to do this so well because again, they are rarely self-absorbed, and also because of that deep-seated and graciously hidden complex of superiority.

I absolutely LOVE this about them (the self-deprecating sense of humor) - even if it may come from a trait most will not consider that lovable (complex of superiority). But the English know to how to camouflage it and hide it really well so they will never appear arrogant or patronizing - so it's forgiven.
Definitely Brits, and Aussies to an extent, are okay 'taking the mickey' or 'taking the ****' out of themselves and each other, and treat a lot of things with a pinch of good-humoured satirical irreverence, sometimes even if they're outwardly dour.

Addressing my point about them being reserved and cold - yes that is sort of stereotypical, many younger Britons in particular are anything but, and are the life of the party. Some of the biggest personalities I've met were from Britain, particularly the south of England.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
People compare the two, but it's a totally different kind of reservedness. New Englanders are not like English people at all, in general. People are more selectively reserved, yet brash in New England. The sense of humour there is totally different and people are much tougher nuts to crack than in most parts of England, where it really doesn't take much to break the ice. The reservedness in Britain is generally borne out of natural shyness, rather than an "I'm better than you and you have to earn your corn before you are worthy of speaking to me" type of deal.

It's worth noting to the OP that although England is small, there are wide regional variations anyway and a north / south divide that while less prevalent than in the past, still exists.

The English are no more/less socially awkward or reserved than other northern Europeans, in my experience.

I don't like the binge drinking culture though and chavs **** me off.
That's true. Although they may come across as being shy I think the English are natural conversationalists. They can also be downright chatty, sometimes excessively so.

I'm well aware of the regional variation. Although I haven't been to the UK yet, I've familiar with the 'English character' as I've known/spent time with many here and abroad.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Trimac, you need to visit the UK because many of your stereotypes are outdated.
Indeed it's long overdue. Being Australian I consider myself a cultural child of the UK...

Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know it's an exaggeration, but I just get the impression a lot of young Brits have trouble speaking their own language, and I'm not just talking slang. For some reason a lot of British teens I've spoken to online seem to have problem with basic spelling, comprehension, or an awareness of what should be very common knowledge about the world in general.
Never heard so much crap in my life lol Have you even been to the UK. You jump to so many conclusions it is unreal. Judgmental, closed minded, hasty springs to mind. Us Brits are very knowledgeable about the world in general IMO, and with some of your statements you have made........ well pot, kettle, black

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
That's true. Although they may come across as being shy I think the English are natural conversationalists. They can also be downright chatty, sometimes excessively so.

I'm well aware of the regional variation. Although I haven't been to the UK yet, I've familiar with the 'English character' as I've known/spent time with many here and abroad.
It depends where you go/who you meet - England, Scotland, NI, Wales all have a diverse bunch of people. You cannot tar us all with the same brush.

We all have our own characteristics and charm, which makes us unique.

Last edited by Scotslass; 07-03-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:

Little Britain. Vicky Pollard. - YouTube

Because you watch Little Britain, there is no wonder you have this impression by basing a TV show as being the whole of Britain. We have some of the worlds smartest pioneers and inventors whom came from Britain (majorty were Scots) .

The UK is one of the most civilized nations of the world who had the most powerful empire at one time, because of brains not just brawn.

Last edited by Scotslass; 07-03-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
'Negatives
1) Binge drinking
2) Rent-a-Thug mobs who still somehow manage to get into soccer matches
3) The mean-spiritedness of tabloid newspapers and their overwhelming desire to bring down anyone remotely successful
4) A customer service ethos that makes most American telecommunications companies look positively sycophantic by comparison
5) Early closing!'

Points 2 & 5 are not really relevant to modern Britain.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
'Negatives
1) Binge drinking
2) Rent-a-Thug mobs who still somehow manage to get into soccer matches
3) The mean-spiritedness of tabloid newspapers and their overwhelming desire to bring down anyone remotely successful
4) A customer service ethos that makes most American telecommunications companies look positively sycophantic by comparison
5) Early closing!'

Points 2 & 5 are not really relevant to modern Britain.
So how many shops stay open 24 hours now? Or don't close till 10pm every day of the week?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Never heard so much crap in my life lol Have you even been to the UK. You jump to so many conclusions it is unreal. Judgmental, closed minded, hasty springs to mind. Us Brits are very knowledgeable about the world in general IMO, and with some of your statements you have made........ well pot, kettle, black
I guess I'm thinking of a certain type of people, I don't want to make any assumptions of their social class, where they live.etc but those are just my impressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom