Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM

128 posts, read 243,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
where did i say i had any truck with dissident republicans ?

the provisional IRA is gone , were they still around , do you think the DUP would be in goverment with sinn fein
You said the Ira (meaning the Provos) had decommissioned all their weapons. I said they hadn't as the dissidents are using them in some cases ......they wouldn't be able to if the Provos had decomissioned all their weapons, do you follow the logic? You then asked for more reliable sources, which I provided and then you start going on about 'truck with dissident republicans' what does that even mean?

If something has been decomissioned by one group another group is incapable of using it ...correct? If the answer to this question is yes, but in reality another group are using what is supposed to have been decomissioned then the reality is full decommissioning hasn't taken place.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, come on. They were no worse than the British Navy has been to it's own citizens. Even into the 1800s it was not uncommon for young men and boys to be abducted from the streets of London and forced to serve on British ships all over the globe.

The life expectancy for a British sailor in the 1800s was shorter than that of the slaves they were often being forced to transport (not many people wanted to work on a slave ship, hence the abductions and forced labor).

And yet Britannia rules the waves, right?

No offense meant by this American. I mean, there wouldn't have been slave ships if there wasn't a market for them across the pond, right?
What does this have to do with anything?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
where did i say i had any truck with dissident republicans ?

the provisional IRA is gone , were they still around , do you think the DUP would be in goverment with sinn fein
Well, you did ask for proof .............

Quote:
while i like to take people at face value , you will forgive me for waiting for conformation of this claim from a reputable source

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
What does this have to do with anything?
OK, I'll connect the dots for you.

With their history, the British aren't really in a position to act morally superior and point fingers at abuse by reknowned and "respectable" institutions.

Now - I don't want to start a maelstrom of indignation. I clearly stated that as an American, I wasn't in a position to do so either.

The RCC is guilty of some abuses, as are other well entrenched and very powerful institutions. This does not justify the behavior of the Orangemen in any way, any more than their behavior would justify terrorist activities by, for example, the IRA.

Time to move forward into the 21st century.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, I'll connect the dots for you.

With their history, the British aren't really in a position to act morally superior and point fingers at abuse by reknowned and "respectable" institutions.

Now - I don't want to start a maelstrom of indignation. I clearly stated that as an American, I wasn't in a position to do so either.

The RCC is guilty of some abuses, as are other well entrenched and very powerful institutions. This does not justify the behavior of the Orangemen in any way, any more than their behavior would justify terrorist activities by, for example, the IRA.

Time to move forward into the 21st century.
So now you manage to move from comparing the RCC in the latter half of the 20th century with the Royal Navy in the late 18th century to linking child abuse in the RCC with the troubles in Northern Ireland.

You seem a little confused here.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 AM

65 posts, read 90,017 times
Quote:
im not from northern ireland
That makes things a little clearer now, thank you.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk View Post
You said the Ira (meaning the Provos) had decommissioned all their weapons. I said they hadn't as the dissidents are using them in some cases ......they wouldn't be able to if the Provos had decomissioned all their weapons, do you follow the logic? You then asked for more reliable sources, which I provided and then you start going on about 'truck with dissident republicans' what does that even mean?

If something has been decomissioned by one group another group is incapable of using it ...correct? If the answer to this question is yes, but in reality another group are using what is supposed to have been decomissioned then the reality is full decommissioning hasn't taken place.
if your looking for someone to engage in nit picking with , you,ve come to the wrong person

to reiterate , if the IRA were still active in any real sense , the DUP would not be in goverment with them , you cannot expect everyone to be accutely aware of trivial little minor details

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMG View Post
That makes things a little clearer now, thank you.

i love vague replies

Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So now you manage to move from comparing the RCC in the latter half of the 20th century with the Royal Navy in the late 18th century to linking child abuse in the RCC with the troubles in Northern Ireland.

You seem a little confused here.
the vatican is not remotley relvant to the political situation in northern ireland on any level , ive no clue why it got dragged into the conversation

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 AM

128 posts, read 243,040 times
Quote:
if your looking for someone to engage in nit picking with , you,ve come to the wrong person

to reiterate , if the IRA were still active in any real sense , the DUP would not be in goverment with them , you cannot expect everyone to be accutely aware of trivial little minor details
You stated that the ira had decomissioned their weapons, I said they hadn't as their decomissioned weapons were being used elsewhere and provided evidence which you requested. You then started talking about other issues.

I agree the pira are not about anymore in their previous form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom