Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
'Do villages like Portwenn actually exist in the UK? It's so idyllic! If such a place exists (I know Portwenn is fictional, but similar places),

Portwenn is a fictional name, the village the program is filmed in is real enough - its called Port Isaac and its in Cornwall. There are many places like that in Cornwall. Cornwall is our (British peoples) little secret, its a stunningly beautiful place where 99% of the tourists are still from the UK!!
All that part of England is gorgeous. Cornwall, Devon, Somerset. We have had a number of holidays in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Quote:
I'm an American who just returned from a long spell in England. I had similar questions before (except mine were based off Hot Fuzz, not Doc Martin) but the best way to find out is to see for yourself. I never went on a forum and asked people what are Brits like, for me it's better to find out for yourself because the type of person that comes on here and posts online is a different breed from the people you meet on the street.
Well, I love to gather information from a wide variety of sources. So I read a lot of history and biographies, peruse travel sites online, talk with people who have been there, and also get feedback online from residents and other travelers. I will be traveling to the UK next year so I'm just doing thorough research so I can be prepared for a wonderful trip.

Quote:
If you are a church going type person, this is probably the best avenue to meet people in the UK, as Brits are not up to talking to people they don't know in the supermarket, bookshop, etc like in the US.
LOL sounds like most Europeans! I can't tell you how many times I have alarmed European strangers and shop clerks by being conversational! Oh, for that matter, I alarm most people north of the US Mason Dixon line. That's OK -they'll live over it. I can't seem to keep myself from smiling and exchanging pleasantries (though it may be a one way "exchange!").

Quote:
Above all else, follow my golden rule: Never speak about politics, religion, or current events that are remotely political. You'll avoid 99% of future problems if you follow that . Also, don't talk about the royal family if you don't know much about them. Some people can be touchy about the monarchy and the royal family so don't say anything that might touch a nerve, same goes for the EU.
I keep up with the royal family (much to my husband's chagrin) because I find them fascinating - in both a good and a bad way. No worries - I don't intend to be rude about them. I think that Kate and William are a lovely couple and the Queen is quite admirable.

Speaking of the royal family, I always thought a lot of Princess Diana. She and I were nearly exactly the same age, and I was getting married about the same time she was, and she really grabbed my attention. I was so sad when she was killed - I actually surprised myself by bursting into tears when I heard the news. Anyway, my parents were on a vacation in England at the time of her death. My parents are, well, not very respectful of any monarchy, and my mother unfortunately doesn't have a clue when it comes to appropriate conversation. Right before they left on vacation, my mother had been rolling her eyes and pooh-poohing the British monarchy and royal family, and she had always been critical of my interest in the monarchy. Anyway, so they were in a restaurant and my mother was rather loudly being critical of Princess Di, and going on about how she could not BELIEVE there was "this much fuss about her death."

Well. A nice British gentleman walked over to their table, and said sternly to my mother, "You clearly do not understand what you are talking about, and don't have a clue about the love and respect of the British people for our Princess. May I suggest that you please keep your mouth closed and allow us to grieve for her without your rude input?"

IF I HAD BEEN THERE I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE MAN A DRINK.

Tell you one thing - my mother did take note - and kept her trap shut for the rest of the trip. All I can say is thank goodness I wasn't with her when she acted like such an idiot. This is the same woman who yelled ACROSS A STORE at me when I was shopping for back to school clothes for my boys - "Don't buy them any LEVIS - they support ***** RIGHTS!"

I could have died.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
your mother seems quite, shall we say, eccentric?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
your mother seems quite, shall we say, eccentric?

My mother is a real piece of work. She has no sense of personal boundaries - and let me clarify that she falls FAR outside the norm for ANY society!

When I was about thirty, I finally got some counseling about how to establish personal boundaries - and then I did so. My mother was FURIOUS - she didn't talk to me for about six months. Six peaceful months.

Every conversation I have with her, I have to fortify those boundaries, but she has calmed down a bit over the years.

Her experience in that restaurant in the UK really did surprise and embarrass her though. I am personally glad for that. In the American South, where we are from, most people would just endure her rather than call her hand on her rudeness, so she certainly didn't expect that man to (rightfully) publicly chastise her. But afterwards, I do think she realized that she deserved it.

When she came home and was recounting the experience, her face reddened even at the memory of it. I told her then, "Mom, regardless of what you think of the monarchy, and Princess Diana, the fact remains that she died a tragic death, and that she leaves two young boys motherless - and that, even with all her faults, she was loved because of her bravery and her loving spirit. She had a tough role to play out, and she was so vulnerable and yet so giving. You could never see past your animosity for a monarchy in general to be able to empathize with an admirable young woman."

Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM

12 posts, read 15,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
'Do villages like Portwenn actually exist in the UK? It's so idyllic! If such a place exists (I know Portwenn is fictional, but similar places),

Portwenn is a fictional name, the village the program is filmed in is real enough - its called Port Isaac and its in Cornwall. There are many places like that in Cornwall. Cornwall is our (British peoples) little secret, its a stunningly beautiful place where 99% of the tourists are still from the UK!!
There are similar little places in North yorkshire.

http://www.staithes-town.info

http://www.bayfair.co.uk

Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steerser View Post
There are similar little places in North yorkshire.

Staithes Town Web

Bayfair Robin Hoods Bay
Awesome! My daughter is moving to Harrogate - well, actually she wants to live in a village outside of Harrogate. She hasn't picked out where to live yet because she's not moving till October.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Awesome! My daughter is moving to Harrogate - well, actually she wants to live in a village outside of Harrogate. She hasn't picked out where to live yet because she's not moving till October.
I think she should move to Great Fryupdale

I am not making that up

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Pately Bridge is very nice.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM

Thank you for the suggestions - I'll definitely pass them on to her. She has three little girls who will be attending school. Is there any particular town or school that you'd recommend?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions - I'll definitely pass them on to her. She has three little girls who will be attending school. Is there any particular town or school that you'd recommend?
Your daughter can't go wrong with Harrogate, and the surrounding area - very posh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom