Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

OK, first of all, I want to make it very clear that I realize that Doc Martin is not "real life" in the UK. It's not reality TV (which also isn't real life in my opinion!). But watching this series does bring up some observations and questions in my mind about every day life in the UK - and I can't help but compare these issues with those in the US.

I love "Doc Martin," by the way, and have a very strong interest (and affection) for all things British, so I'm not in a critical mindset at all.

Another point - I have never been to the UK (but plan to visit in 2013 for several weeks, in the Yorkshire area). I have, however, lived in Germany and traveled pretty extensively in Europe. So I subconsciously, and consciously, also look for similarities and differences between Europe in general and the UK specifically.

OK, here are my observations and questions:

1. Do villages like Portwenn actually exist in the UK? It's so idyllic! If such a place exists (I know Portwenn is fictional, but similar places), what is the cost of living like? The town reminds me a lot of Yorktown, Virginia - and it would be cost prohibitive for most people to live there. Would such a place be overrun by tourists regularly? Along those same lines, would living on the coast - I mean, directly on the coast - be affordable anywhere in the UK? It certainly wouldn't be anywhere in the US that I can think of!

2. OK this is going to sound shallow. I notice that often on a show, in a setting which spans several days, the characters do not change their clothes apparently for several days! Now, this interests me for a couple of reasons. First of all, I rather enjoy catching minor flaws in films and shows - could this be one? Or, is the UK more like Germany - in the sense that people, even well to do professionals, simply don't have many changes of clothes generally speaking? I am not saying it's right or wrong - just a difference I noticed between US shows and this show. Is it common in real life for people to wear the same set of clothes for several days in a row or is this just an oddity of this particular show?

3. Same with the big amber necklace that the receptionist in Season 2 wears almost constantly. I just thought it was very odd that she would wear this particular necklace in nearly EVERY SINGLE SCENE. I mean, it doesn't seem to be particularly valuable - it looks like it's plastic. I didn't catch any symbolism to it. It's very large, so it's actually sort of distracting. Does it mean something or is it just another idiosyncrasy of the show?

4. I noticed that in the hospital scenes, no matter the condition, the patients are always shown on a ward rather than in private or semi private rooms. This is a MARKED difference from hospital care in the US where the vast majority of patients, even those without health insurance, stay in private or semi private (two patients) rooms. Is this typical? I know that in Germany it is very much the norm.

5. Surely a lot of the rudeness of the show is greatly exaggerated. I mean, is it common for people to loudly proclaim others, in the streets or shops, as "tossers?" LOL, by the way, I had no idea what that word meant, but I liked it and was seriously considering incorporating it into my daily usage - till I looked it up. It's quite rude!

6. Is coffee normally served at breakfast? What about other times of the day?

Sorry if these questions seem foolish or naive - and I certainly don't mean them to be disrespectful. They just came into my head, and what better place to get an answer to them than right here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, first of all, I want to make it very clear that I realize that Doc Martin is not "real life" in the UK. It's not reality TV (which also isn't real life in my opinion!). But watching this series does bring up some observations and questions in my mind about every day life in the UK - and I can't help but compare these issues with those in the US.

I love "Doc Martin," by the way, and have a very strong interest (and affection) for all things British, so I'm not in a critical mindset at all.

Another point - I have never been to the UK (but plan to visit in 2013 for several weeks, in the Yorkshire area). I have, however, lived in Germany and traveled pretty extensively in Europe. So I subconsciously, and consciously, also look for similarities and differences between Europe in general and the UK specifically.

1. Do villages like Portwenn actually exist in the UK? It's so idyllic! If such a place exists (I know Portwenn is fictional, but similar places), what is the cost of living like? The town reminds me a lot of Yorktown, Virginia - and it would be cost prohibitive for most people to live there. Would such a place be overrun by tourists regularly? Along those same lines, would living on the coast - I mean, directly on the coast - be affordable anywhere in the UK? It certainly wouldn't be anywhere in the US that I can think of!:
In parts of the southwest and Cornwall, yes, villages like this do exist. Cost of living, I'm not sure about, but they have become very "des res" with certain people which has driven the price up. I don't know how easy locals find it any more to live there but affordable is a relative term when it comes to UK property though and I'm sure more qualified people here can comment.

Quote:
2. OK this is going to sound shallow. I notice that often on a show, in a setting which spans several days, the characters do not change their clothes apparently for several days! Now, this interests me for a couple of reasons. First of all, I rather enjoy catching minor flaws in films and shows - could this be one? Or, is the UK more like Germany - in the sense that people, even well to do professionals, simply don't have many changes of clothes generally speaking? I am not saying it's right or wrong - just a difference I noticed between US shows and this show. Is it common in real life for people to wear the same set of clothes for several days in a row or is this just an oddity of this particular show?!:
I think this is peculiar to this show. It could just be lack of imagination on the part of the show designer or maybe they're trying to show the income differences between the former London surgeon and the locals.

Quote:
3. Same with the big amber necklace that the receptionist in Season 2 wears almost constantly. I just thought it was very odd that she would wear this particular necklace in nearly EVERY SINGLE SCENE. I mean, it doesn't seem to be particularly valuable - it looks like it's plastic. I didn't catch any symbolism to it. It's very large, so it's actually sort of distracting. Does it mean something or is it just another idiosyncrasy of the show?!:
See above

Quote:
4. I noticed that in the hospital scenes, no matter the condition, the patients are always shown on a ward rather than in private or semi private rooms. This is a MARKED difference from hospital care in the US where the vast majority of patients, even those without health insurance, stay in private or semi private (two patients) rooms. Is this typical? I know that in Germany it is very much the norm.!:
Shared wards are still very much the norm in NHS hospitals. In private hospitals you can request (and pay thro the nose for) a private room. In my experience with UK hospitals sharing isn't that big of a deal. Either you have someone to talk to or you're so busy feeling sorry for yourself other people just don't exist for you. Yes, having a private room can be nice with the lousy TV and ensuite loo, but my gods it's lonely. And boring!

Quote:
5. Surely a lot of the rudeness of the show is greatly exaggerated. I mean, is it common for people to loudly proclaim others, in the streets or shops, as "tossers?" LOL, by the way, I had no idea what that word meant, but I liked it and was seriously considering incorporating it into my daily usage - till I looked it up. It's quite rude! !:
No, that's pretty normal. We English can be very upfront about our opinions, especially if it's about someone we know, and we like to keep things nice and hot by getting in our acquaintances' faces and telling them exactly how big of a wanker we think they are . I don't think the receptionist would last more than a day in real life, though, she's pretty extreme even for a sitcom.

Quote:
6. Is coffee normally served at breakfast? What about other times of the day?!:
Yes and yes. You can get tea for sure but you have to be careful. If you're not used to it, drinking tea made in a restaurant can kill you. Most Brits like it strong enough to trot a mouse across it. I like it barely strong enough to get out of the cup so I never order it.

Quote:
Sorry if these questions seem foolish or naive - and I certainly don't mean them to be disrespectful. They just came into my head, and what better place to get an answer to them than right here?
Just remember to have fun when you visit. We know you're smart enough to know not everyone in UK is like they are on TV .

Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

Quote:
In parts of the southwest and Cornwall, yes, villages like this do exist. Cost of living, I'm not sure about, but they have become very "des res" with certain people which has driven the price up. I don't know how easy locals find it any more to live there but affordable is a relative term when it comes to UK property though and I'm sure more qualified people here can comment.
Thank you. Do most people in the UK own their own homes or do they live in apartments? In Germany, it seems that most people live in apartments, or if they are lucky (and I use that term loosely considering what I'm about to say!), they go in with family members and buy a large home that several generations of the same family often share. YIKES! Sounds nice in theory, but...! Anyway, this is because owning one's own home ANYWHERE in Germany is very expensive.

Quote:
Shared wards are still very much the norm in NHS hospitals. In private hospitals you can request (and pay thro the nose for) a private room. In my experience with UK hospitals sharing isn't that big of a deal. Either you have someone to talk to or you're so busy feeling sorry for yourself other people just don't exist for you. Yes, having a private room can be nice with the lousy TV and ensuite loo, but my gods it's lonely. And boring!
Whew. Big difference between UK and US mentality there. I cannot imagine being so sick that I had to be in the hospital, and dealing with the close proximity of strangers - and their friends and family! And their bodily functions, or lack thereof. But I'm with you on the boring part of a private room. Though...there are definitely WORSE problems!

Quote:
No, that's pretty normal. We English can be very upfront about our opinions, especially if it's about someone we know, and we like to keep things nice and hot by getting in our acquaintances' faces and telling them exactly how big of a wanker we think they are .
OMG! I'm a little nervous! I am SERIOUS. In most places in the US, I can't imagine this happening on a daily basis. I mean, not without some serious arse whuppin' happening immediately afterwards.

Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate British humor and sarcasm - just not particularly looking forward to being the direct recipient of it. Guess I'll have to learn how to dish it back out. But sheeze! I'm from the American South - we call everyone "Honey," - not "Tosser!" or "Wanker!"

This will be a challenge for me. Must toughen up!

Quote:
I don't think the receptionist would last more than a day in real life, though, she's pretty extreme even for a sitcom.
Thank goodness. What's customer service like, generally speaking, in the UK? That was one thing that took some getting used to in Germany (but I did get used to it, and soon didn't even notice the differences). In Germany, the customer is DEFINITELY NOT "always right." In fact, the customer is a necessary evil and must be seen to and then gotten rid of as quickly as possible. After awhile, though, this didn't bother me and in fact, I began to see the humor - and some logic - in it.

Quote:
Yes and yes. You can get tea for sure but you have to be careful. If you're not used to it, drinking tea made in a restaurant can kill you. Most Brits like it strong enough to trot a mouse across it. I like it barely strong enough to get out of the cup so I never order it.
LOL, I ordered some Yorkshire Gold tea from Amazon and followed the directions - and was up till about 3 am (I made the mistake of having a cuppa tea to "relax me" about 9 pm!). I like hot tea, but my American tastes tend toward herbal teas with a little honey, or no sweetener at all. YOWZA - that was some stout stuff!

I do like it though - diluted. Also, I love Earl Grey as well. Oh, question - I heard somewhere that Brits use milk, NOT CREAM, in their tea. Is cream a faux pas? Just curious.

Quote:
Just remember to have fun when you visit. We know you're smart enough to know not everyone in UK is like they are on TV .
True dat - and I can hardly wait. I LOVE British history, and am looking forward especially to visiting the "land of my ancestors" - Yorkshire and Northumberland.

Tell me this - considering Brits are so outspoken, do you think people will make fun of me for being from Texas and talking with a southern drawl? Surely I won't have to field many political questions, will I? I don't mind gentle ribbing about Texas and my drawl, but I really don't want to get into any political debates or showdowns about the US. Surely I won't be put in that position, as long as I'm being pleasant, respectful, and non-confrontational! (I do expect to be called a wanker a time or two though since I will be trying to acclimate myself to driving on a different side of the road!)

Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM

UK is a lot like the US. Homeownership was the Big Dream and now of course, not so much. I think a lot of people do still manage to own their homes but it varies so much from area to area. Where I’m from I’m amazed anyone can afford to buy as it’s the 2nd most expensive area in the country outside London.

I know what you mean. At least in my nice private US room I don’t have to listen to my neighbor snoring or complaining about the bed and ringing for the nurse all night long. There are curtains around the ward beds so you can have some privacy. I do remember when I had my appendectomy in Oxford I was in a private room before the surgery and on a ward afterwards so I guess it also depends on your status.

The bluntness varies from area to area. Northerners are supposedly more “in your face†than southerners but I’m not sure about that any more. I doubt you’d get much of it as they will recognize you’re a tourist and (hopefully) cut you some slack. Just remember though, if you get cut off by another car or almost run over at a pedestrian crossing, the traditional response is to give the 2-finger salute and yell, “Tosser!†at the top of your voice. And no, pedestrians do NOT have right of way. On the upside, you are less likely to get shot for saying that .

Customer service again varies from place to place. I still think that the UK hospitality industry has a long way to go compared to the US and sometimes you practically have to open a vein to get attention in a shop , but sometimes you’ll get the loveliest assistance and it will really brighten your day.

Yes, you’ll probably get a little mockery (in good humour) and people claiming they don’t understand you, but just lay on the southern gentility with a shovel and you’ll be fine . Remember: Steel Magnolias Rule! And if anyone does ask you questions about politics you can always politely say you were raised never to discuss that sort of thing in public. Ya'all

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
UK is a lot like the US. Homeownership was the Big Dream and now of course, not so much. I think a lot of people do still manage to own their homes but it varies so much from area to area. Where I’m from I’m amazed anyone can afford to buy as it’s the 2nd most expensive area in the country outside London.

I know what you mean. At least in my nice private US room I don’t have to listen to my neighbor snoring or complaining about the bed and ringing for the nurse all night long. There are curtains around the ward beds so you can have some privacy. I do remember when I had my appendectomy in Oxford I was in a private room before the surgery and on a ward afterwards so I guess it also depends on your status.

The bluntness varies from area to area. Northerners are supposedly more “in your face†than southerners but I’m not sure about that any more. I doubt you’d get much of it as they will recognize you’re a tourist and (hopefully) cut you some slack. Just remember though, if you get cut off by another car or almost run over at a pedestrian crossing, the traditional response is to give the 2-finger salute and yell, “Tosser!†at the top of your voice. And no, pedestrians do NOT have right of way. On the upside, you are less likely to get shot for saying that .

Customer service again varies from place to place. I still think that the UK hospitality industry has a long way to go compared to the US and sometimes you practically have to open a vein to get attention in a shop , but sometimes you’ll get the loveliest assistance and it will really brighten your day.

Yes, you’ll probably get a little mockery (in good humour) and people claiming they don’t understand you, but just lay on the southern gentility with a shovel and you’ll be fine . Remember: Steel Magnolias Rule! And if anyone does ask you questions about politics you can always politely say you were raised never to discuss that sort of thing in public. Ya'all
Great advice and THANK YOU!

Working on my line here, in anticipation of someone asking me a political question...

"I'm sorry, but my mama raised me to never discuss sex, finances, or politics with casual acquaintances - or at a dinner party. Let's discuss Kate and William instead...do you think Kate is looking a little thick around the middle lately?"

Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Great advice and THANK YOU!

Working on my line here, in anticipation of someone asking me a political question...

"I'm sorry, but my mama raised me to never discuss sex, finances, or politics with casual acquaintances - or at a dinner party. Let's discuss Kate and William instead...do you think Kate is looking a little thick around the middle lately?"
Perfect
Or you could ask them if Pippa and Harry will ever hook up

Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Perfect
Or you could ask them if Pippa and Harry will ever hook up
Now THAT would be interesting...in a really weird sort of way! OLD SCHOOL!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:

1. Do villages like Portwenn actually exist in the UK? It's so idyllic! If such a place exists (I know Portwenn is fictional, but similar places), what is the cost of living like? The town reminds me a lot of Yorktown, Virginia - and it would be cost prohibitive for most people to live there. Would such a place be overrun by tourists regularly? Along those same lines, would living on the coast - I mean, directly on the coast - be affordable anywhere in the UK? It certainly wouldn't be anywhere in the US that I can think of!

2. OK this is going to sound shallow. I notice that often on a show, in a setting which spans several days, the characters do not change their clothes apparently for several days! Now, this interests me for a couple of reasons. First of all, I rather enjoy catching minor flaws in films and shows - could this be one? Or, is the UK more like Germany - in the sense that people, even well to do professionals, simply don't have many changes of clothes generally speaking? I am not saying it's right or wrong - just a difference I noticed between US shows and this show. Is it common in real life for people to wear the same set of clothes for several days in a row or is this just an oddity of this particular show?

3. Same with the big amber necklace that the receptionist in Season 2 wears almost constantly. I just thought it was very odd that she would wear this particular necklace in nearly EVERY SINGLE SCENE. I mean, it doesn't seem to be particularly valuable - it looks like it's plastic. I didn't catch any symbolism to it. It's very large, so it's actually sort of distracting. Does it mean something or is it just another idiosyncrasy of the show?

4. I noticed that in the hospital scenes, no matter the condition, the patients are always shown on a ward rather than in private or semi private rooms. This is a MARKED difference from hospital care in the US where the vast majority of patients, even those without health insurance, stay in private or semi private (two patients) rooms. Is this typical? I know that in Germany it is very much the norm.

5. Surely a lot of the rudeness of the show is greatly exaggerated. I mean, is it common for people to loudly proclaim others, in the streets or shops, as "tossers?" LOL, by the way, I had no idea what that word meant, but I liked it and was seriously considering incorporating it into my daily usage - till I looked it up. It's quite rude!

6. Is coffee normally served at breakfast? What about other times of the day?

I'm an American who just returned from a long spell in England. I had similar questions before (except mine were based off Hot Fuzz, not Doc Martin) but the best way to find out is to see for yourself. I never went on a forum and asked people what are Brits like, for me it's better to find out for yourself because the type of person that comes on here and posts online is a different breed from the people you meet on the street. If you are a church going type person, this is probably the best avenue to meet people in the UK, as Brits are not up to talking to people they don't know in the supermarket, bookshop, etc like in the US. My fiancee (who is English) drilled into me the rule don't speak unless spoken to. I've been outright ignored before, or the person hastily terminated the conversation by answering everything with one or two words. This is a similar experience to, say, New Jersey. All in all, just observe the people around you and imitate what they are doing and you'll have a pleasant time. Oh, and, pack an umbrella and bring it around with you . The weather behaves more unpredictably there than it does here. Sometimes you have very dark looking clouds and it doesn't rain at all, or you have benign looking clouds that make it drizzle or shower.

Above all else, follow my golden rule: Never speak about politics, religion, or current events that are remotely political. You'll avoid 99% of future problems if you follow that . Also, don't talk about the royal family if you don't know much about them. Some people can be touchy about the monarchy and the royal family so don't say anything that might touch a nerve, same goes for the EU.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-24-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
KathrynAragon - you have nothing to fear from the English. We are pussycats.

We can be quite reserved, but when we like you, we like you! We are, as a whole, very fond of Americans. Probably more than anywhere else in the world.

I visit Las Vegas every year, so I am very used to Americans. You do tend to be very polite, and careful not to hurt each others feelings. The English can tend to be more blunt, especially in Yorkshire!!

Yorkshire is a beautiful county, lots of interesting places to visit. There is the city of York itself, very historical. Then you have the coastal towns like Scarborough, and Whitby, where Bram Stoker wrote 'Dracula' and mentions the town in the book.

Lots of small farming type villages, and the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. You'll love it...

Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
'Do villages like Portwenn actually exist in the UK? It's so idyllic! If such a place exists (I know Portwenn is fictional, but similar places),

Portwenn is a fictional name, the village the program is filmed in is real enough - its called Port Isaac and its in Cornwall. There are many places like that in Cornwall. Cornwall is our (British peoples) little secret, its a stunningly beautiful place where 99% of the tourists are still from the UK!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom