Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,621,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Londoners are definitely not friendly and it's hard to make friends.
I agree. You do get quite a lot of cocky people. However, large cities everywhere tend to be more anonymous. People in London even apologise if you're the one who bumped into them. Being polite is of course not the same as friendly. New Yorkers are not known for being friendly, right?
Quote:
Everything's crowded.
More so than NYC?

Quote:
there are plenty of fat people
Britons are the most obese in Europe. Fat and ugly aren't the same but I thought it was a bit funny when a Swedish girl who used to study in London said she was happy leaving a city with the highest rate of unattractive people than any other city.

I'm curious to know how would you compare NYC and London women?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-28-2007 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 11-29-2007, 09:05 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,443,125 times
Default Which oneis the most consummeristic?

I have noticed that a number of you are of the opinion that the US is more consummeristic than the UK.
I am Italian, I have been living in the UK for a number of years and I still get caught by surprise when at the end of September shops begin to bring out Christmas decorations ro sell!!! (In Italy and Spain where I have also lived you don't see anything connected to Christmas before November)
I also find that 24 shopping and Sunday shopping are unneccesary and distract people from activities that could improve the the quality of family life and the opportunity to spend time doing other things such sports, walks in the countryside or on mountains, reading, socializing...
Are the States really worst than the UK?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,117,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I have noticed that a number of you are of the opinion that the US is more consummeristic than the UK.
I am Italian, I have been living in the UK for a number of years and I still get caught by surprise when at the end of September shops begin to bring out Christmas decorations ro sell!!! (In Italy and Spain where I have also lived you don't see anything connected to Christmas before November)
I also find that 24 shopping and Sunday shopping are unneccesary and distract people from activities that could improve the the quality of family life and the opportunity to spend time doing other things such sports, walks in the countryside or on mountains, reading, socializing...
I don't see that the US is worse than the UK at all, and I'll tell you why.

I lived in the UK for years and I did not see any difference in the level of materialism or consumerism there. However, the UK population seemed to pride itself on not being as "bad" as the Americans when it came to those traits. It was that difference between how they perceived themselves and how they actually are that stood out to me.

We Americans can be materialistic and consumeristic, but I don't see that we are more so than the British. However, we don't pretend that we aren't.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM

783 posts, read 2,580,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie&dave View Post
I am an American living in the UK, my husband and I are forever comparing the lifestyle in the UK vs. the US and viceversa. I would really like to hear from people who have lived in both countries to get your opinion of the pros and cons of each country and which one you prefer, thanks for your thoughts!
I plead the fifth

Old 11-30-2007, 01:56 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,006,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Yes. 24/7 shopping + internet. Most popular "leisure activity" in the US is in fact shopping.
I've heard that the UK is catching up, but the stores there close earlier than here.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:48 PM

578 posts, read 3,058,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Yes. 24/7 shopping + internet. Most popular "leisure activity" in the US is in fact shopping.
I've heard that the UK is catching up, but the stores there close earlier than here.
The two big supermarkets Tesco and Asda are 24hr apart from sundays and have internet ordering so soon enough more will be following.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,443,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

Oh dear....!!! Are there any people in the US, and in the UK for that matter, who try to live a different lifestyle and offer an alternative? We, for example, try not to go shopping on a Sunday and do other things with our children instead.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 PM

95 posts, read 562,382 times
American is greatly diversified, it is full of freedoms, its survival of the fittest, and the greatest country in the world.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 14,624 times
Hello...

one more question in all this comparison...

me n my wife we stay in NY,US and earn ard $80K per head..getting in hand ard $4500 per hand and spending approx $4000 per month...finally saving $5000 monthly...we leave the best of our life in NY spending in whatever n wherever we want and that after all makes up to $4000 max expense...

i wanted to know how much do we get in hand and save if sal is ard 42K per person ....considering staying in London,UK....also...the life style remaning the same....

appreciate someones early response...

Old 12-16-2007, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I don't see that the US is worse than the UK at all, and I'll tell you why...
Hi, just joined this forum.
Reading this thread it seemed like most people see positives and negatives in every place, and some don't fit in at all.

I think it has a lot to do with someones personality in general. If you have a certain headstrong personality then it will always be harder to fit in and make new friends wherever you live.
If someone comes with an 'I'm from the greatest country in the world and everything here sucks in comparison attitude', then it will naturally turn local people backs up.

Having a circle of local friends is the most important factor in enjoying a stay in a foreign country. If you are having a good social life then everything else flows from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.