Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
This is a link to the UK Republican Movements website:

Republic | A democratic alternative to the monarchy

Also links to two Ipsos-Mori polls on the subject:

Ipsos MORI | Trend | Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Monarchy v Republic 1993-2012
Ipsos MORI | Trend | Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Better off or worse off if Monarchy were abolished?

With regards to whether or not interest in a Republic is regional i can't say. I could guess but that's it's all it would be. I know we have Scottish and Northern Irish posters on this forum and i believe some Welsh too so they may well be able to give you more information on those countries views.

With regards to England the only time i am aware of an interest in Britain being a Republic (which i have to admit i don't know if it can without the agreement of all three assemblies) is sometimes in the press when 'Republic' release a statement or on forums.

It's certainly not an everday topic of conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMG View Post
Northern Irish would be top of the list for a Republic but we know the reasons why. plenty of support for the monarchy in the province though.

Not sure about the Scots, i do have a feeling that the Scots would be pro-Monarchy (thats my feeling)
not at all there are many who support and want to keep Royalty in Scotland..

Glasgow at the Jubilee

partying in Glasgow ..

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-05-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times
Looks like like the Irish don't want to be ruled by a Queen with a diamond sceptre...

As an American I respect the Irish for building the North East of the U.S.

The Irish are always welcome to come to America and be free of all the Royal shenanigans.

Protesters attack police as violence breaks out around Queen's visit to Ireland - YouTube

12 July 2010 riots Ireland - YouTube

Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 PM

65 posts, read 89,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Looks like like the Irish don't want to be ruled by a Queen with a diamond sceptre...

As an American I respect the Irish for building the North East of the U.S.

The Irish are always welcome to come to America and be free of all the Royal shenanigans.

Protesters attack police as violence breaks out around Queen's visit to Ireland - YouTube

12 July 2010 riots Ireland - YouTube

The second video has nothing to do with the queens visit. it's a protest against the Orange Order.

Another American who needs educating on Irish issues.

I think you need to do some checking before you post again.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMG View Post
The second video has nothing to do with the queens visit. it's a protest against the Orange Order.

Another American who needs educating on Irish issues.

I think you need to do some checking before you post again.
The videos came up when I did a youtube search about the Queen in Ireland.

Is the Orange Order Pro Monarchy?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:27 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
The videos came up when I did a youtube search about the Queen in Ireland.

Is the Orange Order Pro Monarchy?
loyalty to the monarch is one of the cornerstones of the orange order institution , the other being its fierce opposition to catholicism

check out this display of contempt for other peoples faith

Orange Order playing the Famine Song at St Patricks Church, New Lodge, 12/07/2012 - YouTube

Orange Order Parade Bonfire: Sandy row bonfire 2012 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5qFL-AKPdyQ

as the conservative collumnist peter hitchens put it , " i have to wonder if disparaging another nation is the best way to celebrate ones own "

imagine if a state funded org in canada held a festival every year which culminated with the burning of the stars and stripes

imagine if a uk funded org held a festival each year which involved burning the german flag, thier would be outrage in berlin , seems its all fine and dandy when the irish are treated with manifestly unconditional contempt and hatred

Last edited by irish_bob; 08-05-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
loyalty to the monarch is one of the cornerstones of the orange order institution
Yea it's no wonder why the Irish would riot in that case.

Ireland need not worry because America is the Irish true second home not Great Britain.

Over here the Irish have built the North East and will never be ruled by a Royal Sceptre.

The Irish have great respect here in America.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:

Ireland need not worry because America is the Irish true second home not Great Britain.

Over here the Irish have built the North East and will never be ruled by a Royal Sceptre.

I really have to wonder if you are a troll or just ignorant and uneducated.

Just to help you .....

1. An overwhelming majority of British people are in favour of the monarchy.

2. Britain is a constitutional democracy. Power resides in parliament and not 'the sceptre' (as you so quaintly put it)

3. Most Brits are uninterested about the role of the Irish in the American North East

4. If you want to have a discussion about Ireland, there is already another thread for that.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:

i dont mind the orange order being loyal to the british monarch , thats not an agressive or hostile possition , even australia or canada were to leave the commonwealth , a percentage of people would still no doubt celebrate the monarchy , i do have a problem with loyalists in northern ireland burning the flag of my country

Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I really have to wonder if you are a troll or just ignorant and uneducated.

Just to help you .....

1. An overwhelming majority of British people are in favour of the monarchy.

2. Britain is a constitutional democracy. Power resides in parliament and not 'the sceptre' (as you so quaintly put it)

3. Most Brits are uninterested about the role of the Irish in the American North East

4. If you want to have a discussion about Ireland, there is already another thread for that.

all fair points , the irish in the north east of the usa is not relevant to this discussion , let me ask you a question though

should the british tax payer fund an org like the orange order who have anti catholicism at the heart of their mission statement , i doubt an org which had opposition to islam at its core would get a dime from the state , the BBC and guardian would have a fit , should the british tax payer fund an org which engages in flag burning on an anual basis ?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:57 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i dont mind the orange order being loyal to the british monarch , thats not an agressive or hostile possition , even australia or canada were to leave the commonwealth , a percentage of people would still no doubt celebrate the monarchy , i do have a problem with loyalists in northern ireland burning the flag of my country
uch get a grip one side as bad as the other, this wants to stop once and for all..

Union Jack Burning HAHAHHAHAH BMZ KAH NND - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom