Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is going to sound silly, but I have to find out if it's true.

I was told by a British hairdresser who currently owns a salon here in the U.S., that it's common practice in the U.K. for the hairdresser to cut your hair, but for a separate person to blow dry it.

Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 PM

68 posts, read 117,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Okay, this is going to sound silly, but I have to find out if it's true.

I was told by a British hairdresser who currently owns a salon here in the U.S., that it's common practice in the U.K. for the hairdresser to cut your hair, but for a separate person to blow dry it.

Is this true?
Not anywhere I've ever been (and I've been to a fair few) - but I guess that it isn't impossible.

The only thing I've found that the person cutting your hair might not do, is to wash it - it's often someone who is training who washes your hair.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 PM

It's the same here. Someone else might wash your hair, but the hairdresser always does the blow dry. After the blow dry, they check the hair again to make sure everything is even and make corrections.

Yet, this particular hairdresser insists that hairdressers in the U.K. and Europe don't do the blow drys.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieb View Post
Not anywhere I've ever been (and I've been to a fair few) - but I guess that it isn't impossible.

The only thing I've found that the person cutting your hair might not do, is to wash it - it's often someone who is training who washes your hair.
Yep, the friend be telling porkies.

The trainees usually wash the hair but the stylist/hairdresser does the cutting and drying/styling. (I just asked Mrs Baldrick, she has a wee bit more experience than I on these matters).

Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Yep, the friend be telling porkies.
I knew it.

I went to a new hairdresser who is British and has his own salon. He cut my hair and then walked away. A woman who works for him blow dried my hair and while she was drying it, she discovered a section in back was much longer than the rest. She called him over and he made some excuse and snipped it.

I didn't think anything of it until I got home and started brushing my hair. All along the left side, there were chunks of hair a good 3 1/2 inches longer than the rest and all jagged! In all my born days, I've never seen anything like it. A five-year-old jacked up on Halloween candy who never held a pair of scissors could not butcher a head of hair like this!

So, I called to complain and got an attitude from his wife who assured me of his fabulous training. I suggested that if he had blow dried my hair himself, he could not have missed the chunks hanging longer than the rest. His wife got all huffy and said that is standard procedure in the U.K. and Europe. I told her it obviously doesn't work.

So, I made an appointment with Toni & Guy, which is a chain of salons here that got their start in London. I used to go to them when I lived in Dallas. Their training is so rigorous that you can't get a bad cut there. They are the gold standard in advanced training for stylists. Since the chain got it's start in London decades ago, why is it that all their hairdressers do blow dry and then fine tune it once it's dry? Anyway, I got a beautiful cut.

Sounds like I was sold a bill of goods.

This is really bad news for all of you. The perpetrator is planning to move back to England.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
It can happen but it's unusual. The person doing the drying (if it's other than your cutter) would probable be a trainee. But it's not normal practice across every single hairdresser in the UK. It's just silly to assume that if one person does it, they all do.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM

I didn't assume. They TOLD me very angrily that it was standard in the U.K. and Europe.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I didn't assume. They TOLD me very angrily that it was standard in the U.K. and Europe.
I think they lied

Old 09-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I think they lied
Ya think?

They were also supposed to refund me. Haven't seen that yet either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom