Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times

Advertisements

One of my friends bought me some American candy and hot chocolate that is not available in the UK. The white hot chocolate was absolutely delicious.. I'm sure the other stuff was nice too but the white hot chocolate is the only thing I truly recall because it was so good!

Jolly ranchers are very nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I would send something local to where you are. My in laws sent my parents a little pack once of some pumpkin marmalade, and a little book of pictures of their home town with some little touristy gifts from the area. They loved that.
Well, one advantage to local is that I know it's not being sold all over the U.K. Right?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Jolly ranchers are very nice too.
Jolly Ranchers. Jolly Ranchers. Jolly Ranchers.

I can't stop saying it out of complete shock.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
One non food item that was a hit with my Brit people was sun catchers.

If you don't know what they are, they are small flat transparent glass ornaments that you hang in the window to catch the light. They can be stained glass or often they have dried flowers in them. They were such a hit that I bought several nice ones to have a supply. They're relatively cheap, lightweight for shipping, and anyone who has a window can use one. I think I'd send a sun catcher with some food and they'd have something to eat immediately and something to enjoy for a long time.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times
You cannot send meat or dairy products to the UK. You can however send rubs and flavourings. I try not to send foodstuffs home rather something regional from where I am living at the time. A couple of years ago I sent Alaskan ULU knives with chopping bowls.
How about something produced regionally ? Visit craft fairs and see what folks are making that look gifty.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
we have a local orchard that makes wonderful jams and jellies with very unique flavorings added.
Go with the jam, go with the jam!

Now that I think about it I visited Niagara-on-the-Lake years ago with the most wonderful fruit orchards and took back loads of locally produced jam with like you said unusual flavours. One was made with sweet peppers added I seem to remember. It was delicious and a hit back home. Brits love jam.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 AM

Okay, I will go with a jam sampler, or maybe the sampler box of products.

It will come from here ---> Mercier Orchards Blue Ridge Georgia

Americans love jam, but I have a hunch the British love it more. You give a bottle of jam to an American, and half of them will end up eventually throwing out a half-empty bottle after it hits the expiration date.

Me included and I don't know why. It's a character flaw.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
A couple of years ago I sent Alaskan ULU knives with chopping bowls.
How about something produced regionally ? Visit craft fairs and see what folks are making that look gifty.
We do have tons of crafts here in the mountains - beautiful stuff. One of the best shows is coming up next month too. I guess I'm set on food products because they send me U.K. food products for Christmas.

KentMum sealed the deal.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Oh my God. I'm laughing so hard. S'mores?!!!

I am the last American to send S'mores. I have never had a S'more in my life. In fact, I was given a "S'more Kit" recently, and didn't even have the patience to make them properly. I smashed a marshmallow and piece of chocolate between the graham crackers and ate it - didn't even bother to roast the marshmallow.

Didn't like the taste and threw the rest out.

Let's go back to the drawing board. Next!
Well, no wonder you didn't like your S'Mores! They are fantastic when the marshmallows are toasted over a campfire, and the graham crackers and chocolate are placed close enough to the fire to be warmed.

Also - add starlight, friends and some hot chocolate and the experience is even better!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickie74 View Post
Britain has so much variety when it comes to their grocery stores, the only thing I'm thinking that's not huge over there are Mexican dishes...so jar of Picante Sauce, also I know my dad can't get a good clam chowder (New England one) in the UK like he does in the US.
Pancake ingredients are different in the UK, so the US version would be cool. Maybe Hidden Vally Ranch, or a good classic barbecue sauce. Just don't send Hershey chocolate or they will gag on it. Candy wise, nothing will impress them so don't bother with that....unless it's an Almond Joy..I like them, their equivalent is Bounty but without the almond.
Also if they are really into home cooking, send cornstarch..they have something very close to it called corn flour over there but does leave a slight taste.. alas cornstarch is better for thickening over corn flour.
My European friends are crazy about Tex Mex food and mixes. They love picante sauce, tortilla chips, taco shells with taco seasoning, etc. A basket with those items, a recipe for Spanish rice (with some cilantro, cumin, other Mexican/Southwest spices), RoTel tomatoes, and a sopapilla mix in a box would be a great idea! You could send them a bottle of jalapeno pepper slices, and chipotle mango chutney. You could throw in a Lyle Lovett CD as well and a "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirt for good measure!

You could also send them a Tony's Red Beans and Rice mix, with instructions to add link sausage. You could send them a cornbread mix, some Mardi Gras beads, a pretty coffee table book about the Garden District in New Orleans, or the rebuilding of New Orleans after Katrina, and a Tab Benoit CD!

I like the regional idea. You could also go with Atlanta - and send them a book about the hats that African American women wear to church, a gospel CD, some peach preserves, a southern biscuit recipe, some grits, and a smoked ham.

You could send them a BBQ recipe with some sauce, a book about life in the Mississippi Delta, a BB King CD, and a bottle of the cologne Elvis wore (from the mens clothing shop in the Peabody Hotel) from Memphis. Throw in two passes to Graceland and a book about Elvis's favorite white trash recipes!

Most of my friends from Europe are absolutely fascinated by Southern culture - sometimes simultaneously horrified, but always fascinated.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-20-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom