Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
or in York & elsewhere Bettys York | Bettys Online
A business acquaintance of mine told me to be sure to check out Betty's as well. I certainly will! I bet their spread is LARRAPIN'!

I'll send my daughter there as a scout first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Well I am British & I have never heard of "meat tea" before! Then again I have never heard of "high tea" either

Where I live we have breakfast, lunch & dinner... Tea is something we drink, with milk

Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well I am British & I have never heard of "meat tea" before! Then again I have never heard of "high tea" either

Where I live we have breakfast, lunch & dinner... Tea is something we drink, with milk
Well, I'm an Anglophile and I've never heard the expression "meat tea" either! Till this week, that is. Now suddenly it's all over the place!

I have recently started drinking tea in the evenings myself, and I really enjoy it. It's not as "stout" as coffee, and doesn't keep me awake at 2 am. I can't imagine doing without coffee in the mornings, but I am learning to appreciate the wide variety of teas. My cupboard is full!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM

255 posts, read 565,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What is meant by the term "meat tea" (as a meal, not a beverage)?

I've come across this phrase several times in UK sources, as in "I was invited to the Talbott's home for meat tea."

Thanks in advance for replies.
It's 'Me Tea' as in 'my tea' and tea is the evening meal between 5-7pm.

I'm British and say the same thing myself.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I'm an Anglophile and I've never heard the expression "meat tea" either! Till this week, that is. Now suddenly it's all over the place!

I have recently started drinking tea in the evenings myself, and I really enjoy it. It's not as "stout" as coffee, and doesn't keep me awake at 2 am. I can't imagine doing without coffee in the mornings, but I am learning to appreciate the wide variety of teas. My cupboard is full!
I'm more of a coffee drinker, like yourself I HAVE to have coffee in the morning! If I do drink tea it is from a simple tea bag & normally only if I have a cake or some biscuits to go with it

Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I'm more of a coffee drinker, like yourself I HAVE to have coffee in the morning! If I do drink tea it is from a simple tea bag & normally only if I have a cake or some biscuits to go with it
I was in World Market the other day and found - lo and behold - DIGESTIVE BISCUITS! Yes, straight from merry olde England. Naturally, I bought them.

From an American perspective, the name and description of them sounds unappealing. But I was pleasantly surprised, almost as much as I once was on a flight on BA, when I tried clotted cream for the first time!

I've always, since childhood, been a fan of Earl Gray (Grey?) tea, but I recently discovered Yorkshire tea when I ordered some online to congratulate my daughter on being stationed in Harrogate. I really like it.

I have some delightful loose tea with peppermint and chamomile and lavender. Yum. Of course, I don't add milk to that tea!

Speaking of milk, I prefer cream. But of course I do - you know how us Americans make everything more fattening.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was in World Market the other day and found - lo and behold - DIGESTIVE BISCUITS! Yes, straight from merry olde England. Naturally, I bought them.

From an American perspective, the name and description of them sounds unappealing. But I was pleasantly surprised, almost as much as I once was on a flight on BA, when I tried clotted cream for the first time!

I've always, since childhood, been a fan of Earl Gray (Grey?) tea, but I recently discovered Yorkshire tea when I ordered some online to congratulate my daughter on being stationed in Harrogate. I really like it.

I have some delightful loose tea with peppermint and chamomile and lavender. Yum. Of course, I don't add milk to that tea!

Speaking of milk, I prefer cream. But of course I do - you know how us Americans make everything more fattening.
I became hooked on Oreo's some years back when I was in Hawaii (the closest thing we could find to a biscuit without just being what we would call a cookie) so was thrilled when they finally launched them in the UK

I am a fan of digestive's, like you say a very unappealing name but they are very tasty, especially chocolate coated ones

I'm not really a fan of 'posh' or different tea's, just give me Tetley or PG Tips I am quite partial to green tea, with a squeeze of lemon juice (no milk of course) but draw the line at Iced tea, really don't get why almost all American's love it, I think it's vile!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
P. G. Tips--that's what dh drinks IF he drinks tea. He's a coffee addict though, as I think a lot of Brits are. Coffee, coffee, coffee all day long.

We have all sorts of weird foods in our kitchen--Birds Custard, Ploughman's Pickle, aaah! Bisto, but no marmite, thank goodness. We can get excellent fish 'n' chips right here, which is great for us both. He eats a lot of toast with melted cheese over it, strange and wonderful, this Brit.

Anyway, when he asks for TEA, he's implying that I've made something for supper. The joke is usually on him--"What are we having for tea?" Answer: "whatever YOU make LOL"

(Ah, to be at Betty's now, surrounded by walls of teapots and all warm and cozy while we eat something extremely and supremely yummy.)

Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
rogan josh (I think that's how you spell it) THAT'S what you have to know when you go to England. We can get a pretty good version where we live, thank goodness.

and Guinness (sp?) I don't drink it. and things like Specked Hen. (not spotted dick.) The level of drinking they have in England is unlike anything I've ever seen before. Love the pubs but not the level of drunkenness.

-----must run now before I get myself into trouble on this forum-------running>>>

Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
I became hooked on Oreo's some years back when I was in Hawaii (the closest thing we could find to a biscuit without just being what we would call a cookie) so was thrilled when they finally launched them in the UK

I am a fan of digestive's, like you say a very unappealing name but they are very tasty, especially chocolate coated ones

I'm not really a fan of 'posh' or different tea's, just give me Tetley or PG Tips I am quite partial to green tea, with a squeeze of lemon juice (no milk of course) but draw the line at Iced tea, really don't get why almost all American's love it, I think it's vile!
I've never figured out why they are called Digestive Biscuits?!

I'm a fan of English Breakfast Tea, Earl Grey, and a variety of herbal teas. I also like an American tea - Constant Comment. I love sweet iced tea and it's one of the very few things I miss living in the UK. I can make it at home, but I'd love to be able to order some proper sweet iced tea with my meal in a restaurant.

Oreos which are made in the UK are not as good as the ones in the US. The biscuit part isn't the same and neither is the cream filling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom