Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,389 times

Advertisements

My fiance went on a two week trip to Cornwall to visit her family she hasn't seen in five years, She doesn't want to come back and wants me to move there. I'm willing to do this for her because I love her and have always wanted to visit the U.K. My questions are If anyone can answer them for me are. How long would it take me to get my work visa, And be able to become a citizen there? I heard that we would have to get married over there and file for it. How is the weather, How is the economy? Will it be difficult to get a job over there? Her grandma offered us a place to stay until we get to working and find us a flat somewhere with our daughter. Any help on this subject would be much appreciated. Moving to a new place is scary, Especially one that is five hours ahead, And knowing you wont know anyone except for said people. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
What citizenship do you have? What qualifications do you have? Unless you are qualified to do something on the UK shortage occupation list it is unlikely that you would be able to get a work visa. You will probably have to apply for the fiance visa instead. Getting citizenship is a multi-stage process that takes 5 years. Do be aware that you cannot go to the UK as a tourist and change status in-country. If you are intending to settle you need to apply for a visa from the UK consulate in New York before you travel. See UK Border Agency | Visas and immigration

Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
What citizenship do you have? What qualifications do you have? Unless you are qualified to do something on the UK shortage occupation list it is unlikely that you would be able to get a work visa. You will probably have to apply for the fiance visa instead. Getting citizenship is a multi-stage process that takes 5 years. Do be aware that you cannot go to the UK as a tourist and change status in-country. If you are intending to settle you need to apply for a visa from the UK consulate in New York before you travel. See UK Border Agency | Visas and immigration
Only takes 3 years as the spouse of a UK citizen.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Check out the other numerous threads on wanting to move to the UK.

Just a word of warning- don't watch the original 1971 movie 'Straw Dogs.'

It will put Americans off Cornwall for ever.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMonroe View Post
.... Moving to a new place is scary, Especially one that is five hours ahead, ...
That was a joke right?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 AM

Route of least hassle:

a) get married first (USA or UK, doesn't matter)
b) come in on spousal visa (good for two years. It allows you to work and be covered by the NHS (National Health Services, exchange your driver's licence, etc.)
c) apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain which qualifies you as a "settled" person - after a year, if you wish, you can apply for
d) citizenship

After c) you can stay forever and you don't actually ever need to become a citizen (unless you want to).

Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 AM

554 posts, read 736,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
That was a joke right?
Would you want to move to Islamabad at the moment?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
Would you want to move to Islamabad at the moment?
That depends - how many hours ahead is it?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM

554 posts, read 736,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
That depends - how many hours ahead is it?
GMT + 5!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
Ameriscot, citizenship used to take 3 years but the rules changed (again!) on 9 July this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom