Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,755,204 times

Advertisements

What does Norfolk sound like? Would you say it's more of a southern or northern type dialect?

I have heard they pronounce 'beer' and 'bear' the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM

327 posts, read 1,036,601 times
Any YouTube search for "Norfolk accent" or "Norfolk dialect" will give you some good examples.

I grew up in Suffolk which has a similar (though not exactly the same) dialect. East Anglian dialects and accents are definately southern type varieties but fall into their own subcategory and are quite distinctive once you learn to recognise them. I can tell a Norfolk/Suffolk person the minute they open their mouth - even if they're quite posh and have lost quite a lot of the accent.

For some reason it's probably the least known dialect/accent in the UK. You never hear it on TV, and most people who migrate away from the region quickly loose the accent. Most people think the accent in Suffolk/Norfolk is a kind of rural southern "farmer" type accent like that of Somerset or Devon. Actually it's nothing like that.

Also in the main towns it's dying out among young people quite a bit in favour of Estuary English. Big shame if you ask me.

However if you go to rural areas of north east Suffolk or Norfolk, the locals down the pub still use a thick dialect when speaking to each other. There are many words and expressions unique to this region that are not employed elsewhere, such as

"aan th' huh" = meaning "askew" or "unaligned", eg, that picture's aan th' huh
"aan th' drag" = running late, eg, "e's aa th' drag again"

Have a look at some YouTube and write back what you think!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 AM

587 posts, read 1,083,417 times
If you want to mardle, you'll find places to goo.

'I'm only hare for the bare'.

'Now dew ee dew what I tell ee to dew'

'Drive yew steady, bor!'

The language isn't just the words ... word order is diffrunt, too.´(Norfolk people 'dew diffrunt')

"I'm now going to dew this".

A few links:

Norfolk dialect

Sidney Grapes - You'll note that Sid came from Potter Heigham. How you say that depends on where you come from. Is it 'Potter Hayum' or 'Potter Higham'? (It's debatable..)

Look for anything by Keith Skipper.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
If you want to mardle, you'll find places to goo.

'I'm only hare for the bare'.

'Now dew ee dew what I tell ee to dew'

'Drive yew steady, bor!'

The language isn't just the words ... word order is diffrunt, too.´(Norfolk people 'dew diffrunt')

"I'm now going to dew this".

A few links:

Norfolk dialect

Sidney Grapes - You'll note that Sid came from Potter Heigham. How you say that depends on where you come from. Is it 'Potter Hayum' or 'Potter Higham'? (It's debatable..)

Look for anything by Keith Skipper.
Interesting. I'm only hare for the bare i like that lol

Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 AM

17 posts, read 18,488 times
I work largely within the London space move to and from metropolis daily. while not no word of a lie unless I speak slowly no-one understands a word I say.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,731,095 times
This man wrote and sang some songs in the Norfolk dialect:

Allan Smethurst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Does Norfolk have a lot of Danish words in it?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM

16,562 posts, read 17,334,480 times
Apparently there are quite a few places in Norfolk with Danish names.

After the Vikings I don't know if the links that existed with the Hanseatic League had any influence on the local language.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,831,141 times
Southern of course. It's below the 'trap-bath' split line. It sounds vaguely like a Kentish or Essex accent to my ears. Most outsiders might mistake it for Cockney.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 AM

587 posts, read 1,083,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Southern of course. It's below the 'trap-bath' split line. It sounds vaguely like a Kentish or Essex accent to my ears.
Time for a new hearing aid?

Quote:
Most outsiders might mistake it for Cockney.
Especially those called Dork von Dick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom