Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
On the other hand, don't think I've ever seen a complimentary thread or post of yours about the US.
Really???? Grow up, the "poor me" attitude of some Americans borders on nauseating, truth hurts sometimes.

Europeans' opinions of U.S. cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post22955072

MLS 2011 season thread

Theres a few from 2 minutes of searching, I can find you more?? Get over yourself and stop using this ''poor us'' everyones against us way of thinking.

I comment all the time that I'd love to go the the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,168 times
A couple of thoughts occurred to me going through this thread.

I'm an American, been one forever, don't bother to watch football or baseball. Baseball especially, 15 minutes of play packed into 3 hours, but football is almost as bad. I've played both in my youth so yes I understand the rules and the strategy, but unlike eleventy billion other 'mericans I'm just not tuned in.

In my youth, back when kids went outside, played and unless there was arterial blood or broken bones involved you didn't bother involving the adults, we played the officially sanctioned touch or light contact football. That is until the adults were safely away and the looser rules applied, it was a game we called "smear the *****". You'd choose up sides, flip a coin to see who got the dubious honour of the first kickoff, and from there it was a back and forth game of piling on the guy with the ball with the idea of wresting it away from him and carrying it across the goal line without getting piled on yourself. When we got older, we found out this was actually called "rugby" and most of us preferred it to the American style. Sometimes the touch football game turned to rugby as soon as Coach wandered off.

What I thought of was that in the US there are various adult league sports. There is softball, basketball, hockey, curling , bowling, even rugby leagues, but I have never heard of an adult recreational football league. Apparently we hand that one over to the pros when we grow up. And if there isn't an adult league, and likely no UK youth Pop Warner outside of the military bases, I don't see the UK ever getting that interested in American football. How many UK boys are dreaming of making it in the big world or "catch one, kiss one" NFL football?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 PM

317 posts, read 412,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Really???? Grow up, the "poor me" attitude of some Americans borders on nauseating, truth hurts sometimes.
Said Glasgow's biggest fan. Shall we refer back to your fit of apoplexy when someone was telling the truth about that drugged up rat's nest?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:

Europeans' opinions of U.S. cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post22955072

MLS 2011 season thread

Theres a few from 2 minutes of searching, I can find you more?? Get over yourself and stop using this ''poor us'' everyones against us way of thinking.

I comment all the time that I'd love to go the the US.
So that is what you call complimentary. Hhmm. Maybe you should try to get some sun, though I know that's a long shot where you live. You sound miserable.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 PM

54 posts, read 59,637 times
Quote:
Lol yes they make good juice.

I am just showing the atmosphere in the UK because a few have said it was boring. Watch it, nowhere in America can compete, its not an insult just a fact, can you just ever admit that your country isn't the "best" at every little thing?
What do you know about America? Have you ever heard of Green Bay? I have been to many a soccer game in England (couldn't give a monkeys about Celtic), rugby at Twickenham, cricket at Lords etc Green Bay has a fabulous environment for NFL games. "Atmosphere" is subjective.

For those who comment on the stopages in US football, dont we watch cricket in England? Darts? Snooker, Tennis? I'm English and my first sport is rugby but I love the NFL. There is no other sport that has the strategy, decision making, clock management or athleticism as American Football. It's the workds biggest revenue generating league too.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM

54 posts, read 59,637 times
Of course it could work, but I'm not sure it will. It's not something we grow up with so its not part of our culture. It's a great game but you have to make an effort to understand it which is part if the obstacle. It's a game about appreciating strategy, tactics and time management rather than just "trying to score" that is English football. Then you add in the draft, salary caps and the challenging schedule and it becomes very interesting.

The problem is that it isn't obvious enough for us Englishmen

Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Good atmosphere yes, as spine-tingling as Celtic Park, nope sorry!

Look I know you like to defend your country but you can't be better at everything. America is better than Europe in plenty of ways, stadium atmosphere is better in Europe imo, not saying Americas stadium atmosphere isn't good but in some stadiums in Germany, Scotland, eastern Europe etc it is insane.
First of all, I didn't say the US was "better at stadium atmosphere" than Europe. I also didn't claim that we're better at everything. Those are your words, not mine.

I wasn't going to say anything negative about the example given of European "stadium atmosphere" because I figured it would be rude and small minded to say what I really thought. In fact, I will still keep it to myself, because I still feel that's better form. I will just say, however, that there's something about that overall atmosphere that's not appealing to a lot of Americans.

And that's OK.

Y'all have fun now, y'hear? Meanwhile, I'm going to go paint my face black and gold and put on my WhoDat Nation shirt.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
I'm sure that someone will put me right if I'm wrong, but for the main part in US sports there isn't a large number of fans at the stadium supporting the away team, due I would have thought in part, to the distances that can be involved.

The other thing is that I was not aware of segregation of home and any 'away' fans.

If so then these could make a difference to the atmosphere at those matches.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,388 times
The "atmosphere" of British football can be overrated. I have not experienced NFL to be able to comment.

I have long since retreated to non-league where you can stand where you like, have a beer, and chat to opposing fans.

Until we stop segregating fans and make them behave like human beings, then the scenes we saw in Manchester recently will never stop.

As for Glasgow, the sooner they close down those unpleasant sectarians clubs the better. Thank goodness no one takes their pretensions of playing in England seriously.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, I didn't say the US was "better at stadium atmosphere" than Europe. I also didn't claim that we're better at everything. Those are your words, not mine.

I wasn't going to say anything negative about the example given of European "stadium atmosphere" because I figured it would be rude and small minded to say what I really thought. In fact, I will still keep it to myself, because I still feel that's better form. I will just say, however, that there's something about that overall atmosphere that's not appealing to a lot of Americans.

And that's OK.

Y'all have fun now, y'hear? Meanwhile, I'm going to go paint my face black and gold and put on my WhoDat Nation shirt.
Whats a 'WhoDat Nation shirt'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom