Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hey Im sorry Im sure!! Look the point Im trying to make here is that the weather in London is no where near as bad as its perceived to be! thats all! Im not tryint to say its 'wonderful' or its the sunniest place in the world or that sweets grow on the trees here! I live here and I constantly see tourists dressed for the Arctic, over dressed and more often than not lugging an umbrella around everywhere. I just think its a little un-necessary. Its funny because when you make a statement like 'London weather isnt as bad as its perceived to be by 'foreigners' you start getting foreigners telling you that actually 'yes it is'! lol. OK now, thank you for correcting me on the 'average' amount of snow in Philly (is Philly that far north?) I now know that the winters in Philly are not as snowy as I initially thought, Ive learnt something, the point I was really triying to make was that compared to other cities as far north as London (and many that are quite a bit further south including Philly) London has a very kind winter climate (temperate) so therefore if you visit you probably wont have to worry about severe cold. Again Tom you can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that (on average) London was warmer in the winter months than Philly?
London is most def warmer in winter than here. Noticeably so. I've been there once in Jan and once in Feb. I mean it isn't warm in London, but it certainly isn't the bone chilling cold we can get.

The UK has a very agreeable climate for outdoor activities. You don't have to worry too much about overheating in summer, nor freezing to death in winter.

As for sunshine, some people don't like a lot of sun. And London certainly gets more sun than a lot of the really cloudy places on earth.

The climate of the UK is exaggerated by British people imo. I met a family once at Disney World in FL from Sussex. First thing they talked about was weather and how it is never warm and always cloudy where they live. I took it all with a grain of salt as I have been there and seen it for myself. Plus, my brother lived in Ireland for three years, and currently works over there two weeks and then two weeks here. Not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Whoa! I've been on here defending the UK climate against what I think are over the top generalizations (rains every day, cold). And now you are doing the same here. Philly is certainly in a northern state, and you are quite a bit off with that statement.

Wanna know how many days a year Philly has snow laying on the ground during the entire winter season? 15 days. That is any day that has 1" or above of snow on the ground. Even the largest 15"-20" snowfalls that we get once in a while (from noreasters) are gone within a week. We average 2.2 days a year with a snowfall of 3" or more. 5" snowfalls occur on average .9 days a year. 80% of our winter precipitation is rain. Our sun is quite a bit higher in the sky in winter than where you are, and it powerfully melts snow. And the fact that we get a lot of sunshine with the cold, high pressure that comes down from Canada in winter.

My region is in a very large media market (NYC) that loves to hype weather stories to sell news. We are not an artic wasteland in winter that is for sure.

Here are a couple pics I took one winter in February in the Philly suburbs. And it looks like this the other 85% of winter days we don't have lying snow:

Canada would def fit your description, and the far upper midwest states of the US, like North Dakota, MN, etc. But even a places like Kansas City, MO and Omaha, NE avg 6 and 8 days respectively with snowfall greater than 1" for the whole winter.

This is the UK forum stop coming on here and bumming about the weather in PHILLY, nobody cares!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Don't you think that is a bit of a generalization. You live there obviously, and I was only a visitor a few diff times, but from my perspective the weather in both winter and summer is never extreme and quite easy to do outdoor activities in. It is not my kind of summer weather, but that is because I didn't grow up with that. But to me it really isn't all that bad. You make it sound terrible. To me, Scotland has terrible weather. Seems much cooler and cloudier than England.
your right its really not that bad its just people like to over exaggerate.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 AM

32 posts, read 65,734 times
Whoa, I didn't mean to start a debate! :/ I was just trying to inquire about the weather! lol.

For the record, I'll be packing for rain, sun, warm, cold and everything in between. I'll probably carry a light jacket with me everywhere however as England and the UK sound quite a bit colder than Texas most of the time.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:18 AM

32 posts, read 65,734 times
And Texas isn't without its own stereotypes, as you know. People either think it rains a lot in Texas (it does in spring/early summer but that's about it) or that Texas is nothing but a desert. And let's not forget the stereotypes about the people.

I'm a native Texan so through stereotyping, I should live on a ranch, ride horses every day, and be a regular cowgirl. But I live in a small town/grew up in a large city, have ridden horses only a few times in my life, and don't know how to be a cowgirl any more than I know how to be the queen of England. I also hate country music and am pretty liberal, whereas Texans have the stereotype of being hardnosed conservatives. So I know stereotypes are just that... stereotypes.

But just for the record when my mom went to Scotland, it was a beautiful sunny day, but she said the tour guide told her that it rains over 300 days out of the year there (it was the Highlands I think). I don't know if that's true or if it was just something to tell tourists. :\

Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM

27 posts, read 49,929 times
May is my favourite month in the UK, the landscape is lush and green, and its usually one of the more reliable months weather wise. Infact for much of Scotland, particularly west of the highlands, and also West Wales, and Northern Ireland, May is the sunniest and driest month of the year, as the usual westerley winds from the Atlantic are at the weakest. However in Scotland temperatures are still rather cool (average daytime maximum around 15C (58F)), and across the rest of the UK average 17C (63F), with London the warmest at nearly 19C (66F) for its daytime maximum. May is usually the first month of the year where we get a real taste of summer, and London in particularly will record a day or two where it reaches 26C (77F), and even warmer on occasions. However the nights can still be fairly chilly, and cold days are not unheard of (with snow showers in Scotland which won't settle at lower levels), and it can still be fairly cool and cloudy on the East coast (eg Edinburgh) even when the rest of the country is enjoying good weather, as the North Sea is still very cold. All in all, for sunny and dry weather May is a good bet. The UK Meteorological Office website has useful information: Weather and climate change - Met Office

Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 PM

585 posts, read 1,086,986 times
Take a light jacket. It's a good idea to take a warm sweater, too.

Last May, the temperature when I arrived at Gatwick was 8'C (About 46'F.)

For most of the next week the temperature was around 2-8'C (35-45'F.)

For the next 10 days, it was in the mid-70's. Throughout that period, there was no rain!

Then it became cool again and the skies opened!

It will almost certainly be colder than Houston, but if you have a few warm things to wear (and can keep dry) it should be pleasant enough.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayedog View Post
Hello all!

I'm new to the city-data forums. My name is Susan and next year, from May 18th to June 1st, we'll be leaving America to vacation in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It's a ten day tour hosted by Globus that includes England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.

I'm from Texas so our weather is hot or warm 9 to 11 months out of the year, give or take a few random days. So needless to say the majority of our wardrobes consist of short sleeve shirts and shorts.

My question I have for everyone is -- what type of weather is typical for May and early June? In Texas it's usually mild or warm with a lot of rain. Should we just pack for all weather types? I was told by someone from the UK that Scotland will still have snow on the ground in May. Is this true?

Thanks!
Depends where you're talking about as there are fairly dramatic differences in weather from north to south, east to west and inland to coastal areas.
Doubt you will see snow (although possible in March/April).
Now what people classify as mild and warmish can vary.
When I lived in the UK I thought 55 was mild, 60 was warm and 65 was hot for May/June.
Now I live here in NC I think, 70 is cold and 75 is cool and 80 is nice for May/June!

I would suggest you go onto a weather channel and look at the daily averages for the places you're visiting.

Take layers and a waterproof lightweight jacket and definitely an umbrella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom