Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times

Advertisements

Ok, McCartney is English and Irish and 1/32 Manx descent, Ringo is mostly English and small part Scottish and Irish, George is 75% English ( cannot presume English cannot be Catholic- we are)and rest Irish ( Whelan) and John Lennon is Mainly English and Welsh , New Zealand and Irish. Lets call them British Isles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:20 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
A lot of English, such as myself, are Catholic also. Just because you are Catholic doesn't mean you are Irish.
No one suggested otherwise. Just because someone mentions "Irish Catholic" doesn't mean there aren't other types of Catholics.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:02 AM

In one of the threads someone posted George Harrison is Catholic Irish, as though because he is Catholic he must be Irish. Yes he is catholic bust mostly English. We were all catholic before Ann Boleyn and a lot of Northern English are still Catholic ( Welsh tend to be Baptist and a lot of Scots Calvanist)

Old 01-25-2016, 12:14 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
In one of the threads someone posted George Harrison is Catholic Irish, as though because he is Catholic he must be Irish.
I think you're making assumptions and inferring things that were never implied. "Irish Catholic" is a common term but in no way means there aren't other types of Catholics. Also, the term is Irish Catholic, not Catholic Irish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Catholic

Quote:
We were all catholic before Ann Boleyn
Lol, yeah, Anne Boleyn was the first protestant in England. There were plenty of protestants in England before Anne Boleyn entered the scene. She may have heavily influenced Henry VIII, but she was not the first protestant in England. But this is off topic and really has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Quote:
and a lot of Northern English are still Catholic
Again, no one said otherwise.

Quote:
( Welsh tend to be Baptist and a lot of Scots Calvanist)
You see, just because "Welsh tend to be Baptist" doesn't mean there's no other religion in Wales, or that there aren't Baptists who aren't Welsh. See how that works? The same goes for terms like "Irish Catholic".

But actually, most Welsh are Presbyterian, Catholic, or members of the Church in Wales, not Baptists. Baptists only make up about 1% of the Welsh population. Maybe you should check your stats before making claims like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...les#Statistics

Old 01-25-2016, 01:12 PM

A bit off topic, of course there were Protestants in England in the 1500`s but it was a Catholic country at the time of his rule, so we were nearly all Catholics before Ann Boleyn. Most Welsh, nearly a third, don't claim any religion at all. Baptists are 10% that was back in 2001, so a hand up to that one. But your post is a bit patronising too much time at your laptop

Old 01-27-2016, 10:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Lots of Irish people came over to South Wales in the 1800's, including some of my ancestors on my mother's side, who from Cork and Limerick. (I'm having real trouble on my family tree trying to trace them - it doesn't help that one lot keep changing the spelling of their name all the time!). They mostly worked in the iron works and on the railways over here and from what I've read, they were treated like **** (there were a few anti-Irish riots going on).

There were lots of Catholic churches dotted around the valleys because as well as the Irish that came over, we have an Italian community here also. BBC Wales did some programmes about it called 'The Welsh Italians' a while back.

I don't think a lot of people here are religious at all though, any more. A lot of these little churches have been knocked down or converted into houses. I wouldn't even call myself Catholic anymore - I would call myself an Atheist now, to be honest (my Nan would be very disappointed in me though!).

A few months back I did one of those Ancestry DNA Tests (has anyone else done one of these?) and it came back that I was 39% Irish, which was higher than I thought it would be.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Does it matter whether you are from Hibernia or Britannia, both Atlantic islands mostly share the same DNA. ( I am surprised how many non- native Irish/British site racial profiling on this). Now that the Celtic myth which is only about culture ( which also includes Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria- not just Ireland and Britain) and that Britain is still a mostly Brythonic DNA ( not Anglo Saxon). I am Brythonic, not Irish-not German and proud ( never arrogant).

Old 01-27-2016, 11:48 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Does it matter whether you are from Hibernia or Britannia, both Atlantic islands mostly share the same DNA. ( I am surprised how many non- native Irish/British site racial profiling on this). Now that the Celtic myth which is only about culture ( which also includes Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria- not just Ireland and Britain) and that Britain is still a mostly Brythonic DNA ( not Anglo Saxon). I am Brythonic, not Irish-not German and proud ( never arrogant).
Brythonic is a language group. It just means it is a P-Celtic language e.g. Welsh and Breton are Brythonic languages whereas Irish, Scots Gaelic, Manx are Goidelic languages and Q-Celtic. I don't think Celtic is a myth. The main thoughts on this now are that Celtic language grew out of Bell Beakers who came from the Rhine River region during the Bronze Age and this was quite a massive movement. They are finding more out about populations now by looking at ancient genomes.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 AM

Brythonic is more than a language group it is the word for a physical body of people whose tribes would include Brigantes ect: Probably where the word Britain derived. But the Celts can in the blood sense mean anyone in Western Europe, I`m sure not all up sticks and left Austria and moved to the West and stopped at the Atlantic. There is no pure Celtic race as peoples of Britain and Ireland are more mixed,( though I agree there are 2x strains of original settlers) I also think that the Scots that settled in Western Caledonia have a common bloodline to Northen Ireland. The last large DNA test was enough for me.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
I've only read P.6 of this thread, so if this has been mentioned earlier I apologise.
I can remember when the IRA was active in London in the late 80s, someone in a pub I was in said, "We'll give them back Ulster, if they'll give us back Liverpool."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom