Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times

Advertisements

50 million people in an area the size of an American state, England (not all of the UK) has a population density similar to Japan and India. It's a very crowded island, as anyone living there will know.

I've never been, but it seems that somewhere that dense, it'd be hard to escape from people altogether. The towns would be close together enough that there would be few real 'breaks' between them, and it seems the countryside is dotted with villages and towns. If you look at a map of the UK it seems these urban conurbations often seem to join up, all the way from London to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, except for a few gaps. The Liverpool to Leeds area is like one big conurbation.

In Asia rural areas seem denser/more filled with life than American or Australian suburbs. I live in a place that is 2.5 million km2, 1/3 the size of Australia and 4 times the size of Texas, with 2 million people so anywhere else seems crowded to me.

Does England often feel like one giant city-urban sprawl? Say if you drove from London to Manchester, would you basically see built-up areas most of the journey? Kinda like Bos-Wash? Or are there still fairly long stretches which seem pretty rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,820,193 times
sure is suburbia, unless you have a ton of cash to live out in the countryside.

there's still some open space to be found in the West Country I believe, lol

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,140,265 times
As an Alaskan, I am used to seeing empty places.
One of the aspects of the UK that surprised me was just how open and empty some of the areas really are. Especially Scotland-the drive through Scotland in the Inverary/Loch Fyne sort of area was amazing like a drive through the Summit Lake area of the Seward Highway in Alaska. Even in the more populated areas, there was a lot of open space. Not nearly as much as here, of course, but as a whole it's not cheek by jowl by any means. Your perspective may vary.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Does England often feel like one giant city-urban sprawl? Say if you drove from London to Manchester, would you basically see built-up areas most of the journey? Kinda like Bos-Wash? Or are there still fairly long stretches which seem pretty rural.
I doubt it, the Boston-Washington corridor is nearly unbroken development, housing on large lots fills in the gaps between cities. Seems like most cities in England don't take up as much land, from London to Liverpool I remember lots of stretches of countryside. Still seems very populated, and you're always bumping into another town, I imagine it's hard for anywhere in England to feel remote.

In the Northeast US, if you go perpendicular to the corridor you'll get to some land that's rather undeveloped for English standards:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26552173-post134.html

Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
As an Alaskan, I am used to seeing empty places.
One of the aspects of the UK that surprised me was just how open and empty some of the areas really are. Especially Scotland-the drive through Scotland in the Inverary/Loch Fyne sort of area was amazing like a drive through the Summit Lake area of the Seward Highway in Alaska. Even in the more populated areas, there was a lot of open space. Not nearly as much as here, of course, but as a whole it's not cheek by jowl by any means. Your perspective may vary.
I mentioned ENGLAND not the UK. I guess outside the actual national park/wilderness areas like the Lake District in Cumbria or the Pennines, it seems their wilderness areas are more like big city parks in Oz or the US.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I doubt it, the Boston-Washington corridor is nearly unbroken development, housing on large lots fills in the gaps between cities. Seems like most cities in England don't take up as much land, from London to Liverpool I remember lots of stretches of countryside. Still seems very populated, and you're always bumping into another town, I imagine it's hard for anywhere in England to feel remote.

In the Northeast US, if you go perpendicular to the corridor you'll get to some land that's rather undeveloped for English standards:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26552173-post134.html
I've driven the entirety of Bos-Wash and there are stretches which are a bit empty but you're right, one of the world's great urban megapolises. In terms of sheer urban density, however, I think England actually compares quite closely with Bos-Wash in population and area.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times
No, lots of open space and country side.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The Liverpool to Leeds area is like one big conurbation.
Here's a view of this corridor (halfway between Manchester and Leeds):

Liverpool, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Is the area populated? Sure. Not really continuous conurbation though.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's a view of this corridor (halfway between Manchester and Leeds):

Liverpool, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Is the area populated? Sure. Not really continuous conurbation though.
Aside from Manchester to Leeds I only see gaps of no more than a few km. In Australia, that whole area would be considered one giant metro area.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,052,086 times
England does well by directing her development. The populations are tightly confined to cities with little of that low density suburbia and strip mall sprawl seen in many US states and I'm guessing Australia as well. There are genuine countrysides in England. It doesn't feel like one giant suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom