Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times

Advertisements

Buxton, North Derbyshire - highest market town in the UK.

The Crescent, Buxton, England by Dyker_The_Horse, on Flickr

Buxton, England by CameliaTWU, on Flickr

Buxton, England by CameliaTWU, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
No bias needed- it's a lovely town!
Thanks Jezer, sounds like you know it? Its funny but I dont think its quite as well known as perhaps it could be considering it was Churchills home. I do know that growing up there I didnt really appreciate it (perhaps not as exciting as other places for a teenager), I would like to move back there one day, trouble is it might not be that easy! :-)

Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Richmond, North Yorkshire, possibly my favourite place ever.

Richmond, North Yorkshire by Mervin Straughan, on Flickr

Richmond Market Place, North Yorkshire by Mike Livsey, on Flickr

Richmond - North Yorkshire by jamiejohndavies, on Flickr

Richmond Castle by pentlandpirate, on Flickr

IMG_2620 by The Academy of Urbanism, on Flickr

IMG_2613 by The Academy of Urbanism, on Flickr

IMG_2775 by The Academy of Urbanism, on Flickr

Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM

16,660 posts, read 17,424,883 times
Some wonderful towns there dunno. I especially like Richmond and once stayed in a cottage that was built into the walls of the castle.

I have been to Westerham in the past easthome, and always thought what a delightful town it is.

I was lucky in that for quite a few years I travelled extensively throughout the UK and I made a conscious decision to see the sights when I could. I'd often stay in the lovely market towns and other lovely places and avoid the city centres whenever I could.

I've also lived near to the Yorkshire Dales, the Cotswolds and in Kent, and the only area I am not greatly familiar with is East Anglia.

I think that the market towns of the UK define our country more than the cities do and seeing these photos that people are putting up are an absolute delight.

One mention for Scotland that I'd cite- Stirling. A lovely place.

Salisbury is close to me and though it can be described as a city, due to the Cathedral, it is really a market town.

Here's some shots of the Cathedral Close;

Last edited by Jezer; 12-19-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Stratford upon Avon is truly stunning. Swamped with tourists though!

Stirling Castle is tremendous.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Richmond, North Yorkshire, possibly my favourite place ever.

Richmond, North Yorkshire by Mervin Straughan, on Flickr

Richmond Market Place, North Yorkshire by Mike Livsey, on Flickr

Richmond - North Yorkshire by jamiejohndavies, on Flickr

Richmond Castle by pentlandpirate, on Flickr

IMG_2620 by The Academy of Urbanism, on Flickr

IMG_2613 by The Academy of Urbanism, on Flickr

IMG_2775 by The Academy of Urbanism, on Flickr
Love Richmond, Northallerton and Barnard Castle.
My favorite is Durham because of the fabulous Cathedral,the multilple colleges and the walks around the river banks with all the bridges. In the "old" days you used to have to drive right through the middle of the market place and cross at least 2 bridges to get through.
Actually, it's a city of course, but it is small and has the market place and the old original indoor market.
Also love Kelso in Scotland.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 6,424 times
Default Whitby

Please visit the smaller seaside towns within the Yorkshire Dales, and Whitby Town is perfect, and I mean it will blow your mind away at how good it is here, the landscapes are beautiful, it has a lot of history; medieval, fantasy and you can see how much it has changed over time as it trys to stay up with modern times. The best part is, although we may be living in a world where advanced technology, medicine and Space research are seeming to be the future, Whitby keeps up in own special little way, and these types of towns are impossible to find around the world, this place is a little gem! You can have good ol' fashioned fish and chips, visit draculas apparent birthplace and discover old shops with a modern twist! You can climb the 100steps from the Whitby Castle and Courtyard down to the town and through the graveyard also, you really can see that this town once had a lot of power in history. The drive to Whitby is also beautiful, as the yorkshire dales are some of the best roads to drive on in the UK and Europe in my opinion, there are other towns in the area such as Scarborough and Bridlington, but this is the best town in this area as it hasn't sold out to the new millenium...yet! Very friendly community, with alot of humility and peace, and a great tourist attraction, Whitby is worth the trip!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times
All these photos are so beautiful - the UK is stunning and it is scenes like what you guys have posted that are a big part of why I couldn't give a toss if it rained non-stop. The towns and villages and cities and other scenery are just so beautiful over here.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
You guys are making me homesick again! Knock it off

I agree with Mooseketeer's Oxfordshire nominations, also with Salisbury and if not already mentioned I would like to add Winchester
Attached Thumbnails
Best English market town or village-winchester18abig.jpg   Best English market town or village-destinationsukwinchester4.jpg  

Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Ah, Winchester, Britain's third wealthiest city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom