Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
It would be difficult to argue that Ireland is any more or less than corrupt or swamped with ineptitude than any number of countries embroiled in the giant ponzi scheme of spiralling debt and serfs who are slaves to it these days. Spain and Portugal two easy examples.

The insinuation that Ireland can't live without their grand 'master' is such a clunky and outdated mode of braying. You'd think Britain has been the epitome in competency the way it has dismantled manufacturing, frittered away the best years of peak oil production not to mention all the trappings and trinkets of colonial 'glory'.

All this patriotic jingoism is such waffle. Any sovereign state is only ever really as economically powerful as the resources and assets that they have to call upon at any given time. Imperialism gave Britain a very good head start on many other nations but the best days are behind the UK now and all it has left to offer itself forward as is a service industry to profligate greed. Britain is a spent force and Ireland merely mimicked the kind of policies that globalisation everywhere sold as a recipe for success.

Light touch regulation, a "say no more" attitude to tax dodging and entrenched corruption the type of cronyism which runs very deep in the UK anyway.

If you must keep up with all these master and servant analogies like we're deconstructing the finer details of yet another lavish costume drama on the Beeb or ITV then I can only leave you with the words of one of Euguene O'Neil's characters Phil Hogan from a time period in history more befitting your petty colloquial barbs "Master is the word. Sure, the English can't live unless they have a lord's backside to kiss, the dirty slaves".

And you can rest assured Britannia will be slaves to debt and kissing lady's, Duke's, Duchesses, Earls and Lord's backsides long after they've kissed their own ass goodbye as a nation of any notable prestige on the global stage.

Britain can't be that bad old chap - why else would thousands of young Irish people be moving there every month for jobs that their own country is unable to provide for them ?

Like previous generations of young Irish people have always done.

Fact is Ireland squandered everything the Celtic Tiger brought it in a drunken orgy of bling and stupidity - everyone had a 52" High Defitinition Plasma even though there wasn't a single Irish television programme made in HD.Now their old plasmas are the only form of heating many of them can afford.

And they built grandiose motorway schemes but forgot to build service stations to go with them so motorists still had to pull off and find a hedge to take a dump in like they always used to.

And in one of the most wonderful ironies of all the Irish are now moving to East European countries such as Poland in search of labour - the same countries whose workforce were treated so abysmally and with such racist abuse when they came to Ireland looking for employment during the Tiger years.

History has a wonderful way of coming back to bite you in the bum.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Britain can't be that bad old chap - why else would thousands of young Irish people be moving there every month for jobs that their own country is unable to provide for them ?

Fact is Ireland squandered everything the Celtic Tiger brought it in a drunken orgy of bling and stupidity - everyone had a 52" High Defitinition Plasma even though there wasn't a single Irish television programme made in HD.Now their old plasmas are the only form of heating many of them can afford.

And they built grandiose motorway schemes but forgot to build service stations to go with them so motorists still had to pull off and find a hedge to take a dump in like they always used to.

And in one of the most wonderful ironies of all the Irish are now moving to East European countries such as Poland in search of labour - the same countries whose workforce were treated so abysmally and with such racist abuse when they came to Ireland looking for employment during the Tiger years.

So do Sun Says page 6 style sweeping assumptions that 'irony of all wonderful ironies' are rolled out day in day out (there are pages and pages of this kind of turgid dross) by the English tabloids who make the same accusations about the 'feckless' generation of 'shameless' benefit scroungers embedded to their sofas and transfixed by their wide screen television sets in the UK:- The Sun declares war on Britain’s benefits culture | The Sun |Features

As your (probably by the sound of it) favourite barnstorming 'non-nonsense' FOX News parody of a columnist might say "you couldn't make it up".

As for this bizarre reference to Poland I'm afraid there's no comparison between the prominence of the far right in the UK and Ireland let alone Poland where the far right are far more prominent. Even in the UK there have been 96 racist murders since the murder of Stephen Lawrence 18 years ago so the problem is still far bigger in the UK than it has ever been in Ireland:- BBC News - Group lists 96 'racist killings' since Lawrence

And there has been nothing in Eire to replicate the kind of terrorising of Polish families that elements of the Loyalist community have actively orchestrated against Polish families living there. Wherever these attacks happen they need to be universally condemned regardless. Migrants living in fear after racist bomb attack on Poles - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
I'm largely Scots-Irish on my white side, Mess'kin on the other side.

Joe Bageant: Drink, Pray, Fight and F***

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Lots of misunderstanding and assumptions here. Thankfully, in_newengland seems to have got it right.

The Scots-Irish/Ulster Scots were/are descendants of the Lowland Scots brought into Ireland during the Ulster Plantation. Most of them, including my own ancestors, were NOT landowners, but held long-term leases. Many were small farmers, weavers, and members of other trades. They were firm Presbyterians/Calvinists, and valued education and hard work.

My ancestors came to American from County Derry shortly after the American Revolution, well after the first wave of Scots-irish immigration. We are fortunate to have a document still extant about the reasons for the family's big move: their father died, then their longtime landlord died, and the heirs drastically raised the rent. So first an elder son, then the rest of the family immigrated.

The family's sons initially worked in a variety of trades, ranging from well-digging, canal work, day labor, etc. to peddling various wares down the Great Valley Road/Philadelphia Wagon Road southward into the North Carolina backcountry, buying up furs, ginseng, and other goods, while selling small luxuries otherwise unavailable on the frontier. Eventually most of the family settled in Asheville, NC and became very solid citizens. One of their "causes" was supporting one of the first academies in Asheville, along with major support for both the Presbyterian and Methodist churches there and for construction of toll roads that could handle wagons, in place of the pioneer-era trails and paths.

This family has many, many descendants, and within one generation of immigration, members of this family married into some of the most politically prominent American families of the early 19th century, while others held significant elective office themselves. Not bad for the children of the widow of Scots-Irish tenant farmer...who nonetheless had the tenacity and determination to educate her large family.

My ancestors don't exactly fit the wild, ignorant, hard-drinkin', hard-fightin' hillbilly stereotype described in too many of the posts in this thread. Although there is a reference to at least one brawl in which one of my ancestors involved himself, when he learned his newfound "friends" were playing with loaded dice...

My ancestors consistently called themselves "Irish". Not Ulster-Scots, not Scots (or Scotch)-Irish - just Irish. However, their surname is also found in Lowland Scotland. But as the family had lived in Ireland for close to 200 years before migrating to America, it's hardly unusual that they would consider that their nationality.

the scots irish were indeed very hard workers and still are today

im from farming stock myself and northern irish protestants are the hardest working ( and best ) farmers ive ever seen , better than any in new zealand , usa or mainland uk

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:

while the goverment spent like a drunken sailor , their is more to it than that , it cannot be overstated how much of a factor the banking bailout at the behest of the larger nations in europe was

ireland put in place the largest banking bailout in history , it dwarfed the american one

the goverment should have done an iceland and defaulted

Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

92 posts, read 159,350 times
Quote:

Eastern Europeans were treated abysmally during the Celtic tiger years, really? Perhaps you could enlighten us and provide us
with some examples of these hate crimes. I have quite a few friends and work aqquaintances that are from various countries in
Eastern and Central Europe and they are very content in Ireland. They have been living here since the boom times and have no intentions of moving back home for the forseeable. They consider Ireland their home. They all have good jobs and a great quality of life which they claim they would never had, had they stayed in their respective countries. All of these people have a great relationship with Irish people and intergrate well(the individuals I know,anyway)

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoibhd84 View Post
Eastern Europeans were treated abysmally during the Celtic tiger years, really? Perhaps you could enlighten us and provide us
with some examples of these hate crimes. I have quite a few friends and work aqquaintances that are from various countries in
Eastern and Central Europe and they are very content in Ireland. They have been living here since the boom times and have no intentions of moving back home for the forseeable. They consider Ireland their home. They all have good jobs and a great quality of life which they claim they would never had, had they stayed in their respective countries. All of these people have a great relationship with Irish people and intergrate well(the individuals I know,anyway)

ignore the dope , he,s indifferent to whether his facts are straight in any post

not only were - are eastern europeans treated well here as employees , they are still able to claim wellfare like child benefit despite having returned to poland in some cases

anyway , when you see the kind of treatment loyalists in northern ireland meat out to chineese and eastern europeans , its really a case of the kettle calling the pot black

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Its county Londonderry, there is no such county as County Derry. Normally i dont care about this issue but the county is different for me.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the scots irish were indeed very hard workers and still are today

im from farming stock myself and northern irish protestants are the hardest working ( and best ) farmers ive ever seen , better than any in new zealand , usa or mainland uk
Stop with the bigoted statements. Yes i have presbie farming ancestory so i have a right to comment.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Stop with the bigoted statements. Yes i have presbie farming ancestory so i have a right to comment.
seriously mate , adjust your reading glasses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom