U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM

587 posts, read 442,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Just say 'Contains Crap'.

Trading Standards couldn't disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Ah but then it would have to contain actual body excretions would it not or some weirdos and TT would get upset about deceitful adverts ?! Though I am sure this is not too far from the reality sadly...

One of the reports I read said 'Horse DNA had been found in burgers'.

Perhaps 'contains crap' isn't so far wide of the mark?

It would be illegal to put horse meat in beef burgers in the UK - but I wouldn't be too surprised to find it has happened. Some years ago a major purveyor of Beefburgers (they'd sold a lot of them) in Peterborough was alleged to have been using meat which had a far higher protein content than one might have expected to find in beef.

Normal for earthworms, though.

How often have you ordered fried chicken and got a bucket with 4 legs in it?

Have you noticed that there is a shortage of feral cats in some parts of some towns?

There's nothing new about people adulterating food. 50 years ago I remember my chemistry teacher demonstrating a process which he said the food standards inspectors used to perform qualitative analysis of sausage meat.

Exploding sausages ... then again, most of his demos seemed to involve explosions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 AM

3,620 posts, read 4,213,590 times
There isn't as much regulation in the food industry as many people think. There are 2 good documentary films that I would recommend: one is "Food Inc" which is about the US food industry (its still relevant in Europe), and the other is "Earthlings". Both are eye opening.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM

5,541 posts, read 3,006,800 times
Maybe were better not finding out... I found this .of course this is different , and will probably be labelled as horsemeat..from that site Id think its a joke.

HORSE MEAT GOES ON SALE ACROSS U.S. | Weekly World News

Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM

555 posts, read 367,370 times
I just think the world is fairly evenly divided between people who love good food and care what they eat and lazy arseholes who don't give a toss and shovel any old slurry down them.
I really don't have any sympathy for someone buying an own-brand or budget burger either from a supermarket or from a fast-food chain.
If you want to pay €1.50 for a Macsh!teburger you really are getting what the abbatoir has swept up off the floor or found in the waste bin after everything else has been " mechanically " recovered from the beast.
Let me give you an example.
Today I bought from a local supermarket the ingredients for a meal for a family of four.It cost me less than €15.Some of it was frozen,some of it was fresh but the seafood and vegetable linquine I cooked was healthy,low in fat and devoured instantly.
None of my family is an ounce overweight.
Behind me were a couple with a trolley groaning with packages of frozen cr@p - pizzas,nuggets,burgers,wedges,fries,white bread,litre bottles of Coke and bars of chocolate the size of paving slabs.
There was no fruit or vegetables save for what was on the frozen pizzas.
They were both morbidly obese,whey-faced and greasy of skin and the children waddling along behind them were heading the same way.
I'd guess these people weren't thick but they'd made a lifestyle choice. Do I buy foodstuff of an uncertain origin or do I know exactly what I'm cooking and preparing and feeding my kids.
I'd serve my kids a horse steak tomorrow but horse " meat " could be any part of the animal.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,803,206 times
Had a look at some "burgers" in my local shop. The main ingredient was mechanically recovered chicken, with beef fat being the second. Most of us probably have no idea about the food chain, and if we did would never eat such things.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,403,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I just think the world is fairly evenly divided between people who love good food and care what they eat and lazy arseholes who don't give a toss and shovel any old slurry down them.
I really don't have any sympathy for someone buying an own-brand or budget burger either from a supermarket or from a fast-food chain.
If you want to pay €1.50 for a Macsh!teburger you really are getting what the abbatoir has swept up off the floor or found in the waste bin after everything else has been " mechanically " recovered from the beast.
Let me give you an example.
Today I bought from a local supermarket the ingredients for a meal for a family of four.It cost me less than €15.Some of it was frozen,some of it was fresh but the seafood and vegetable linquine I cooked was healthy,low in fat and devoured instantly.
None of my family is an ounce overweight.
Behind me were a couple with a trolley groaning with packages of frozen cr@p - pizzas,nuggets,burgers,wedges,fries,white bread,litre bottles of Coke and bars of chocolate the size of paving slabs.
There was no fruit or vegetables save for what was on the frozen pizzas.
They were both morbidly obese,whey-faced and greasy of skin and the children waddling along behind them were heading the same way.
I'd guess these people weren't thick but they'd made a lifestyle choice. Do I buy foodstuff of an uncertain origin or do I know exactly what I'm cooking and preparing and feeding my kids.
I'd serve my kids a horse steak tomorrow but horse " meat " could be any part of the animal.

Don't forget that some seafood is high in cholesterol.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,403,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Had a look at some "burgers" in my local shop. The main ingredient was mechanically recovered chicken, with beef fat being the second. Most of us probably have no idea about the food chain, and if we did would never eat such things.

Did the box say "burgers" or "beef burgers"?
If I buy burgers, and that's rare, I only buy ones that are labelled 100% beef eg Bubba burgers
BUBBA Burger® | Heritage

Maybe the horse DNA came from the beef. Wouldn't be the first time British farmers had fed their animals a non-vegetarian diet -thinking mad cow disease

Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM

32,377 posts, read 18,398,637 times
Horses are a sacred animal in Central Asian culture. To be served horsemeat is a great honor. When US Vice President Al Gore visited Central Asia, he was honored with horsemeat. Unfortunately, he knew nothing about this aspect of the regional culture, and pitched a fit, causing an international incident. Before the earliest Indo-European people "invented" horseback riding, they used horses for meat.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM

549 posts, read 337,818 times
You gets what you pays for. What I find more shocking, is people buy that crap, I think I read you could purchase 6 frozen burgers for £1?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM

688 posts, read 431,354 times
I have personally never spent less than £10 per burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom