Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed that the people on this forum who support Britain leaving the EU have a funny tendency to make a lot more misspellings and grammatical errors than those who don't? What is that? Probably a false flag operation by the EU/NWO. Be afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
What's embarrassing is the conversation going on within this thread. And by the way - it's "dual carriageway"

Britain's place and future within the European Union is a little more complex than the building of a road between two towns nobody cares about. The EU is easily Britain's biggest export market, which supports millions of British jobs. Of course we would still trade with the EU but we would no longer be able to set the rules of those agreements. Britain runs a huge trade deficit, which won't reduce by further isolating ourselves from big consumer markets and (as this government is doing) reducing investment in manufacturing, technology and R&D. Fast growing Asian economies look at trade with Britain because of its position within the EU, not in spite of it. The United States as a chief partner, and our "special relationship" is often preferred by those on the right, but the US actually encourages European integration with a single market. The US will increasingly look past Britain more and more if it looks to break from the EU. The economic and political consequences of that shouldn't need explaining (but given the quality if arguments put forth on this thread it probably does).

If we left the EU, how would we deal with a huge trade deficit? Would we place tariffs on imports from Europe? What would happen to what is left of domestic manufacturing?? What about foreign investment into the UK? If GDP falls as a result of a withdrawal from the EU (which it certainly would) this would surely put off foreign investors. Again, London's position as a world financial centre is because of its position within the EU, not in spite of it.

As for immigration, we could control the ease of which EU members enter the UK but there us a cost to productivity to think about. The mechanics of our welfare state wouldn't change so why deny the billions of pounds that immigrants have contributed the the British economy?. Also, what would happen to Brits working within the EU?

Lets also not ignore the regulatory power the EU has over foreign corporations. Mobile phone regulations, airline charging policies etc have been regulated by the EU, not Britain, a direct benefit for the average Joe. It's easy to place blind nationalism above rationality, but the future for Britain is not one if just "going it alone". The world is changing fast and (IMO) this particular government, and those who support it seem to be living in a little utopian fantasy.
*applause*

Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I love it how those who are terrified that most British people might not share their opinions on the EU and who think the public are too ignorant and insane and prejudiced to be allowed to have a say on the future of their own country are doing the good old Leftie thing and insulting anybody who dares not to agree with them in a blatant attempt to shut down any reasonable and balanced debate (while those who think otherwise have been much more civil) - stay classy!
It's actually got nothing to do with being a "leftie". Do you not see the catastrophic ramifications of quitting the EU? Do you honestly believe that Britain, a service industry economy which does most of its trade with the EU and unlike Norway, has few natural resources can cut it "alone"? Please allow some common sense into your life, that's all I'm asking. I call the UKIP "loons" because that's exactly what they are. Their utopian vision of a self-sufficient Britain amounts to nothing more than fiction. Britain isn't the manufacturing powerhouse that it once was. Many of its trade agreements that it has today are through the EU, much of our trade is carried out within the EU, on the basis that we remain a contributing member. So little manufacturing industry, a lack of sustainable natural resources and a workforce that isn't exactly the most educated and skilled on the planet = no chance in hell.

It's a shame that so many people in Britain are blinded by Euroscepticism and paranoia. It's one of the reasons why I never quite fit in there, even as a child growing up during the Thatcher era I did not like the Euroscepticism.

I just want what's best for Britain. My opinion is that Britain would be ill advised to leave the European Union. It actually has more power as a participating member.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
looks like staying in the EU must be the best way, long term

and I doubt Cameron will get re-elected anyway, so maybe this referendum idea is just a moot point

UK is way too small these days - I think the 'island mentality' has a lot to do with this.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
looks like staying in the EU must be the best way, long term

and I doubt Cameron will get re-elected anyway, so maybe this referendum idea is just a moot point

UK is way too small these days - I think the 'island mentality' has a lot to do with this.
Absolutely +1

Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
As an original voter for the Common Market i feel it would be madness to get out of the EU now, maybe it has its faults but better the devil we know than the devil we don't. Anyway like some others i don't think it will ever happen.
Imagine the money the Government would make alone on new passports if it should happen. Visas required to travel within the EU. Not to mention all the other economic reasons.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM

why do the Tories want out anyway?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats what i think. Uk leave the eu but keep in some sort of trading alliance with them.
After leaving.
Britain: "Hey EU, you suck! We don't want to pay ****, but we still want to have the same privileges as before."
EU: "Yes, of course."

Yeah, right.

Quote:
Um? Norway?
That argument points out that you have no clue about the economy of your country and the relationship of the EU to EFTA countries like Norway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
as for europe going federal , further centralisation is nesscessery in order to maintain the single currency , the germans will not allow the likes of greece , spain or portugal to threaten the stability of the currency , they want oversight , eventually the budgetery policy of those countrys ( and ireland ) will be written in brussells depending on german aprooval
I don't get your point. It's also in the interest of Ireland to maintain a strict budget policy. Also, Greece tends to just ignore sayings from Brussels.

Quote:
Well just look at the uk and compare to roi.
That said, I also think that "Britain is too small to go it alone." A lot of people are overestimating the possibilities of the UK and don't have a plan B for the EU.

Quote:
Whats "we" you live in the usa now.
And with that, Ian won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
why do the Tories want out anyway?
They want to get reelected in 2015.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
They want to get reelected in 2015
so are you saying this is merely just a vote winning trick that the Tories will try, regardless of consequences?

how would leaving the EU actually benefit Britain?

seems wrong to me.

leaving the EU in this day and age would surely be a disaster for Britain

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Well they did say that the last time.

I dont think they would let us vote tbh. Just cant see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom