Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Dont worry Tom its journalistic sensationalism, a couple of boys filming themselves is really all that this is. This is NOT affecting the UK in any way shape or form. I live in a town in England with a 'much higher than average' percentage of Muslims, in fact I live next to the towns Mosque! Every Saturday night here there are streams of young girls wearing practically nothing on their night out and believe me they wont be listening to anybody who might try to get them to 'cover up'! Until showing your legs becomes illegal in British law there really is very little that Muslims can do to force their 'law' in Britain - trust me it 'aint gonna happen'.
That is good to hear because if you listen to a few people like Holland's Gert Wilders you'd think that we are going to be taken over by a group of wild fanatic Muslims who want to eat our children. Of course there are some wild fanatics around and they are not all Muslims. I have met quite a few Muslims here in the US and I don't see the vast majority of them with a desire to change the society they live in into a Middle Eastern theocracy. I have many friends in the Muslim community and while many may not agree with out politics I have never heard a desire to "conquer the barbarians" and make them believers. Most of these people who have come here probably want to get away from the stifling atmosphere of a theocracy like Iran or Saudi Arabia. I am not much of a friend of organized Judeo-Christian-Muslim religion nor the thought these religions want to impose on people. I think you are correct in using the term "sensationalism" with regard to our general attitude toward the so called "tidal wave" of fanatic Islam in out countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
That is good to hear because if you listen to a few people like Holland's Gert Wilders you'd think that we are going to be taken over by a group of wild fanatic Muslims who want to eat our children. Of course there are some wild fanatics around and they are not all Muslims. I have met quite a few Muslims here in the US and I don't see the vast majority of them with a desire to change the society they live in into a Middle Eastern theocracy. I have many friends in the Muslim community and while many may not agree with out politics I have never heard a desire to "conquer the barbarians" and make them believers. Most of these people who have come here probably want to get away from the stifling atmosphere of a theocracy like Iran or Saudi Arabia. I am not much of a friend of organized Judeo-Christian-Muslim religion nor the thought these religions want to impose on people. I think you are correct in using the term "sensationalism" with regard to our general attitude toward the so called "tidal wave" of fanatic Islam in out countries.
Geert Wilders and his Party for Freedom are the Dutch equivalent of the UKIP, so take it with a grain of salt.

I knew many decent, hard working British Muslim people back home....people who graft for a living and don't ask for any assistance and don't hurt a fly. These people are the majority, not the minority of fanatics. All groups of people in life have small elements of "bad".

Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 12,332 times
I will be as happy as hell.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Gert Wilders is a noise-making politician who is smart enough to keep himself in the news (just) smart enough to incite not very bright people to follow him and (just about) smart enough to maintain some sort of following.

I'm worried about all these 'wild fanatic muslims'. After all, sometimes you just don't get a chance and you never know what they're going to do to you!

When I first came to live here, my insurance company sent me to one of those muslim cardiologists.

Perhaps he was going to rip my heart out?

Perhaps I wouldn't be able to understand him?

Well, he didn't rip my heart out and we can understand each other easily in 3 languages. (The ones I speak - he speaks another 6.)

Then I needed surgery and they sent me to another Arab doctor! He did rip my heart out. (Well, he had to do a major overhaul and [nothwitstanding what some people think] you do have to stop it if you want to do a major rebuild.

What if one of them had been a 'turrist'? (Or even a tourist? - Americans don't always speak good English and they're not always the best surgeons. )

I would rather be operated on by the best surgeon going (and that's probably what I got) than be operated on by the best non-muslim surgeon going.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
The UK has never been deeply involved in Europe. That would not make a big difference if the UK would leave the UE, since it is not in the Schengen (border-free sone) zone does use the European money. Coming from a Eurozone and Shengen country, going to the UK is already almost as going to a non-EU country.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 AM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The UK has never been deeply involved in Europe. That would not make a big difference if the UK would leave the UE, since it is not in the Schengen (border-free sone) zone does use the European money. Coming from a Eurozone and Shengen country, going to the UK is already almost as going to a non-EU country.
Well, joining the Schengen Area would be fairly pointless for the UK as it's an island nation. Schengen is great for countries that border other EU countries, i.e. where you can cross borders by road. Eliminating border controls in such countries makes economic sense.

The only way into Britain is by sea, rail or air. Therefore, Schengen would make little economic sense.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM

326 posts, read 471,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
....I will never, ever go back.

David Cameron is an idiot for pushing the referendum and treating the European Union like Britain should have special rights just because. What the hell is wrong with the Tories? They pride themselves on putting the economy first and bringing about austerity to help get Britain out of its current crisis, but the latest Eurosceptic crap is just frightening. Why the need for a referendum, when so many people in the UK are anti-Europe based on nothing more than prejudice and not wanting to be told what to do by Brussels as if it's like that), while being blissfully unaware of the dire implications of leaving the EU. This is nothing short of economic and cultural suicide for a country that is now a service industry based economy.

London is a leading global financial centre largely BECAUSE of the fact that Britain is in the European Union, so London is seen as a bridge between European and American/Asian markets, which use English as the de facto business language.

I'm just very disappointed by this. I had hoped that Euroscepticism would have died out with Thatcher, but now these loons have a voice with the UKIP, so the Tories are even more likely to pander to Euroscepticism for fear of losing votes to the UKIP.

Being in the EU actually gives Britain a voice and the ability to change things within the European Union. It's better to be inside than locked outside, because at least you have a say as to what goes on around you. It also allows a platform in which to perform as a superpower, rather than just a former colonial power and island located in NW Europe. It allows free trade, British people can live and work legally anywhere in the EU without a visa. Why alienate ourselves and deny the fact that Britain is culturally a northern European country? Quit the silly island mentality. It pissed me off when I lived there and it still pisses me off now.

I promise, if Britain votes to quit the EU in 2017, I will never go back.
i don't think you are fully aware of the economics behind the EU. there are many things you have got massively misunderstood.

This is nothing short of economic and cultural suicide for a country that is now a service industry based economy.
not really. the EU needs us more than we need the EU. that means balls on our court and we can negotiate what we want, rather than be brushed aside by brussels. Economically, we'd add millions new jobs because small/medium businesses would no longer have to abide to unnecessary EU regulations. Culturally, won't make any difference :S.

Being in the EU actually gives Britain a voice and the ability to change things within the European Union.
britain has NO voice in the EU. we didn't elect the Mr barroso or Mr Van Rompuy. we have NO say on any of the regulations that are put upon us. we have NO control over our borders. ME as a britain citizen had NO voice in ANYTHING the EU stands for, and from all this "negotiations" Cameron is pushing for, looks like HE doesn't either. they're brushing him aside and leeching from the pot of gold (britain) which is what is essentially is to the EU.

Why the need for a referendum
why the need for elections ? .. because its democratic. its what the PEOPLE want. not what POLITICIANS want. if the BRITISH PEOPLE want out, the BRITISH PEOPLE should get out.. thats how democracy works mate, if you don't want democracy, go to Syria.

It's better to be inside than locked outside, because at least you have a say as to what goes on around you.
you got that the wrong way round. its better to be FREE outside, than be LOCKED inside. EU doesn't allow to have a say on anything that goes around you. we abide by EU legislations and regulations whether WE (the british public) like it, or not.

It also allows a platform in which to perform as a superpower, rather than just a former colonial power and island located in NW Europe.
so you want britain to be part of a superpower, some sort of United States of Europe ??.. f*** being british, we'll be european.. F*** what makes all these european countries, their history, their culture, and everything they stand for, and just mash them together to make a... superpower that is disgusting. did you not learn anything from what happened with the soviet union ?

It allows free trade, British people can live and work legally anywhere in the EU without a visa.
Switzerland/Norway are not part of the EU, yet they can trade freely AND live/work legally anywhere in the EU WITHOUT a visa ? you really don't have a clue what you're ranting about.

Why alienate ourselves and deny the fact that Britain is culturally a northern European country? Quit the silly island mentality

there is no "northern europe" culture.. its merely something people use to refer to the nordic countries. the only thing we share with them is skin colour.. thats it... Its british mentality.. if it bothers you, you shouldn't come back to britain. learn german and move to germany.

I promise, if Britain votes to quit the EU in 2017, I will never go back.
Please don't .. i like democracy, i don't like what is going on in syria and what happened in the soviet union.

You have an issue with UKIP. i don't agree on their immigration policy, however, under cameron, i reckon we could see a britain similar to Switzlerland/Norway, which allows free trade, free movement, however, without abiding to stupid regulations and what have you.

Last edited by sentry12; 05-15-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 02:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Well what do you expect. We are a foreign country.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I agree with you about the UK union comparison, but disagree that Cameron is a "Eurosceptic": I don't see any evidence to the contrary. Look at his behavior and rhetoric since he has been PM. He is out if his depth, and I think will be confined to the "bad PMs of history" waste paper bin come 2015.
Well Bad in your opinion because your Labour and of course you would call any Tory bad.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's precisely the point, it is entirely rhetoric. He has no intentions on actually doing what he is proposing. I'll gladly eat my hat if proven wrong, but until that point, I am going to say with the uttermost confidence, that no EU referendum will be held in the foreseeable future, regardless of what any political leader says, and considering that there isn't a cat in hell's chance that UKIP will even send a party member to Westminster, let alone get into power, the chances of leaving are so remote to not even matter.
Well if he doesn't do the EU referendum that is atrocious and the conservative party will lose alot of votes. I for one will be disgusted.

I thought that those days of undemocratic behaviour were long gone. Sometimes when I see the things that the government do when it comes to voting I think it still exists. I mean it seems as though they always get a say in everything and we get a say very rarely.

In situations like the EU they always go with what they want and not what we want. And I'm nearly sure that if we were all to vote out of the EU that they would keep us in there and make up some excuse. Not very fair and makes me very very very vile with anger.
If thats the way they are going to go on, then they deserve no votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom