Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
I admit, american cities look impressive from afar, but up close, they all look like war zones, Detroit especially, but all of them to some extent. Their highways too, look impressive from a distance. Up close, potholed and decrepit.
From another thread, referencing the UK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS
In the past couple of years ive been assualted, had a laptop stolen, credit card skimmed and been threatened by a knife weilding individual. Whats the point in reporting them though. Its not like the pigs do anything.
I'm happy to report that in the last two years between living in LA and SF and having traveled to Seattle, Vegas, and Boston, I've not been assaulted, not had a laptop stolen, not had a credit card skimmed, and not been threatened by a knife wielding individual here in the States

Which leads me to our last bit:

Quote:
Trying to reason with a yank is impossible though. Theyre all indoctrinated to think they are special.
And how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Excuses, excuses. Why do you have all these excuses for EU nations and none for the US..hmm...?

Those stats show the US has less cancer rates than many EU countries, and that it's unfair and incorrect to make it seem as though the US has cancer problems far greater than the EU.
You're arguing with the wrong person, i.e. not the person who claimed that the US had the world's highest cancer rates, but I also explained that many people in Europe generally smoke / drink more, smoking being a major cause of cancer. Being # 7 is hardly anything to be proud of, so clearly the US needs to improve.

Cancer rates: see how countries compare worldwide | News | guardian.co.uk

I suspect Australia fairs poorly because of skin cancer rates.

The US does have an excellent record in terms of treating cancer though. That deserves a mention.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM

557 posts, read 672,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Maybe because American kids are stupid enough to try to swallow the toy inside? (j/k)
Are we blaming the potential victim ie child. What if it's because America cares for its children more than the EU, who would rather a corporation make millions luring kids in with the idea of candy + toy in which could be harmful to them.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Are we blaming the potential victim ie child. What if it's because America cares for its children more than the EU, who would rather a corporation make millions luring kids in with the idea of candy + toy in which could be harmful to them.
LOL, clearly you're just looking for an argument for the sake of it, if you took my post even remotely seriously.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Excuses, excuses. Why do you have all these excuses for EU nations and none for the US..hmm...?

Those stats show the US has less cancer rates than many EU countries, and that it's unfair and incorrect to make it seem as though the US has cancer problems far greater than the EU.
Quote:
You're arguing with the wrong person, i.e. not the person who claimed that the US had the world's highest cancer rates, but I also explained that many people in Europe generally smoke / drink more, smoking being a major cause of cancer. Being # 7 is hardly anything to be proud of, so clearly the US needs to improve.

Cancer rates: see how countries compare worldwide | News | guardian.co.uk

I suspect Australia fairs poorly because of skin cancer rates.

The US does have an excellent record in terms of treating cancer though. That deserves a mention.
In no way did I make it seem as though #7 was a proud placement. I was simply pointing out your underlining subconscious disdain for the US, where you find every opportunity to bring America's faults to the forefront while you downplay and provide excuses for European faults.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
In no way did I make it seem as though #7 was a proud placement. I was simply pointing out your underlining subconscious disdain for the US, where you find every opportunity to bring America's faults to the forefront while you downplay and provide excuses for European faults.
This is actually quite amusing. On the one side, I have LAWS telling me I'm a jumped up Yank, while on the other side I have you telling me I have disdain for the US.

Hilarious.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
LOL, clearly you're just looking for an argument for the sake of it, if you took my post even remotely seriously.
I was just providing the other side of the argument against Kinder eggs. For some reason the thought of the US banning EU products was unthinkable for you. And when I provided a product that is currently banned in America, your immediate reflex was defend the EU postion and attack the US postion by making what some would call a distasteful joke against American children.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
I pretty much share the opinion of Mario Monti:

Yes, Britain should decide whether to stay in the EU or not. If they decide to leave, fine. The Union doesn't need unwilling Europeans. A referendum would be good therapy against British denialism regarding the EU.

I think the issue of Britain’s relationship with the European Union, especially if that relationship changes through a renegotiation and not an in/out referendum, calls into question the whole EU project. Everyone will start looking at their specific terms of membership and saying "I like this" or "I don’t like this" in a pick-and-mix fashion.

I’m just very worried that if there was to be a referendum, the costs of non-EU for the UK would not be made clear.

Leaving the EU for EFTA/EEA wouldn't solve any problems. You would have to pay into the EU budget proportionate to your economy. Norway currently pays ~340 million Euros per year. This is more than many EU member states, especially when you consider the fact that actual members get money back, reducing their net contributions. UK would still need to contribute around 2 billion euros a year to the EU budget if part of the EEA/EFTA.
A member of the EEA/EFTA would, without having any say in their formulation, have to abide 80-90% of EU rules and regulations in order to be part of the Common Market. Because you know what you need for a Common Market to function? Common rules and regulations.

Also, current EFTA members would most likely want to avoid becoming a lobby group for the UK. Liechtenstein and Switzerland for sure wouldn’t want. It’s not just that they want to retain their independance as banking havens, but also that they have no aspirations to global power politics.
Iceland is currently debating whether and how to join the EU. Norway might be the only one interested in a peripheric alliance with the UK, because of a pro-Atlantic alignment.

The UK could still decide to negotiate a relationship with the EU that is a carbon copy of EFTA, but without being formally part of EFTA.
That’d surely be greeted by all those who despair at the losses in sovereignty, while charting a middle-ground with appearances of common sense.
It’d be a sham relationship, where one side, the United Kingdom, pretends to be a great power, negotiating on equal footing with a regional bloc at international summits, while in practice having to implement all trade regulations, including financial supervision, with recurrent spats of blocked borders when not implemented fast enough. However the UK would be allowed to develop legislation applying to market issues that would be different to EU law (lower recycling standards for goods, or lower sanitary standards for foodstuffs for example. Wohoo!).

Incidently, many EFTA proponents also raise the Commonwealth option.
Those countries are even more hostile to any ideas of becoming some kind of UK lobbying group. And it’s not even a trading organization.
On the economic side, there’d be almost no synergies between exporting countries with low-cost workforces or ones centered around mineral wealth and the UK.

Of course EU countries would still trade with Britain if you were no longer a member. The danger is that the British economy is too weak to gain good terms with other larger trading partners, putting you at a disadvantage that could further weaken your overall economy. After all, if you think that Britain has failed to get her own way with the EU, where she is the third largest economy and one of the most powerful member states, what hope does Britain have in negotiating with China, India, Russia? Of course business is possible, but your chances for a favourable deal are vastly increased.

And although many anti-EU types seem to believe that the UK’s relationship with the EU is horrific, any sensible, rational, fact-based assessment would demonstrate that the worst that could possibly be said about it without mad hyperbole is that it is mildly unsatisfactory in some areas.

That said, the referendum should be connected with another issue: if the Scots, the Welsh or the Northern-Irish want to leave the UK and join the EU as a separate state, they should be able to do that as well.

Anyway, I actually think it's just a bluff of Cameron for the upcoming budget discussions. Why not vote this year instead of after the next public election?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I was just providing the other side of the argument against Kinder eggs. For some reason the thought of the US banning EU products was unthinkable for you. And when I provided a product that is currently banned in America, your immediate reflex was defend the EU postion and attack the US postion by making what some would call a distasteful joke against American children.
What's a "postion"?

You read into shyt too much, relax. I already did my bit by defending the US against the hysterical rants of 'LAWS'.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,638 times
Quote:
I don't think you can make generalizations of that sort. There are good and bad parents everywhere. I am an American but I lived 15 years in Spain. Spanish parents can teach us all something. I have never been in any country in the West (maybe Italy but not to the same degree) that treats their children with such care as the Spanish. KIds are king in that country more than I have ever seen anywhere else. I would put Japan second in the countries I have been in long enough to be able to observe everyday life. On the other hand I have seen throw away kids on the street in many countries. Parenting is an individual thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom