Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

Could you tell if someone is from the north of England vs the south of England, or from the west vs. the east based on how they look? I've heard that blondes for example are most common in North East England while people from Cornwall are the most likely to be brown haired and brown eyed.

Are the differences significant enough that you could pinpoint where in England someone is from just by their shape of their face and hair and eye color? Barring people descended from recent immigrants or who have parents that are from different parts of England than where they grew up, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM

490 posts, read 681,984 times
There are certain characteristics that are slightly more prevalent in one region than another.
For instance, red hair is more common in Scotland. But that doesn't mean at all that a red haired person will have Scottish ancestry.

So, no you can't tell where they're from just by looking at someone, anymore than you can tell which part of America somebody is from.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Big fat no. Maybe more their speech/dialect/accent

Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM

670 posts, read 905,166 times
There is a tendency for people from the South East to have rounder fuller faces, flatter noses and wrinkled faces. This leads to breathing difficulties because of constricted windpipes....you know similar to pugs.....

Wooof! Don't let me start on the Scottish.

Where do these people come from for heavens sakes? I await the day I see similar silly questions from Brits posted on the US forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
There is a tendency for people from the South East to have rounder fuller faces, flatter noses and wrinkled faces. This leads to breathing difficulties because of constricted windpipes....you know similar to pugs.....

Wooof! Don't let me start on the Scottish.

Where do these people come from for heavens sakes? I await the day I see similar silly questions from Brits posted on the US forums.
Is he serious??

Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
My horns get in the way of wearing my winter tammy in colder weather..

Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM

25 posts, read 45,854 times
You could take a rough guess. Afro-Carribean, maybe from London
Asian/Pakistani - Maybe from the north.

You would have to hear them speak first before you judge as that is a very rough and not exactly accurate.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
I hear that there is a new charecteristic developing in some parts of the UK

Some people are developing webbed feet, presumably in order to adapt to the wet weather. It's possible it has derived from those that originated in the Lake District or maybe Scotland but is spreading to parts of the West Country and beyond.

People in the South East are generally thinner so that they can squeeze into commuter trains.

I am told that the Scottish charecteristic of short arms, thus making it difficult to get their money out of their pocket is a complete myth.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:30 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I hear that there is a new charecteristic developing in some parts of the UK

Some people are developing webbed feet, presumably in order to adapt to the wet weather. It's possible it has derived from those that originated in the Lake District or maybe Scotland but is spreading to parts of the West Country and beyond.

People in the South East are generally thinner so that they can squeeze into commuter trains.

I am told that the Scottish charecteristic of short arms, thus making it difficult to get their money out of their pocket is a complete myth.
British humour, me loves it!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:41 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
You can tell the Scots, they all wear skirts and have wild orange hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom