Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 PM

477 posts, read 802,619 times

Advertisements

A couple of nights ago I watched an old episode of the British TV Series "Heartbeat".

It was a Christmas episode, and I noticed the american word "truck" was used instead of lorry.
Also character "Greengrass" dressed up as Santa Claus, and was called Santa by kids in the episode.
I always thought Santa Claus was an american/canadian thing, that in the UK it's "Father Christmas".

Especially weird as it is set in 1960's Yorkshire!
I guess British speech americanzation has been happening for years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 PM

318 posts, read 625,617 times
I find the fact that some British people use the word 'fit' as a synonym for good-looking/hot etc. funny, I have no idea why XD

I think slang amongst British teenagers still sound very, very British to me, especially with the prevalent use of words sl*g, w*nker, bird, shag, snog... I've never heard anybody use them other than Brits!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post

But it's not just a young urban thing it has also become a very middle-class phenomena too. Especially expressions like "closure" which aren't exactly widespread but do creep in from time to time, especially in radio interviews with star spangled celebs who usually come with a sugar coating gloss of saccahrine expressions culled straight from the Hollywood tourism guide monologues.
What actually is the basis for the British objection to terms like "closure"? Is it that the core concept is not a good fit with the British psyche, that it completes with a British term, or simply its place of origin?

I'm not trying to be smart. Rather, I'm simply asking a question as that term is frequently used in other parts of the English speaking world without being regarded as "American".

Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Google Chrome does automatic spell checks on many other words and underlines in red ink many words that are the correct spelling in English on this side of the pond.

That's because you've downloaded the American version of Chrome and never changed the language settings to British English. I have read this complaint at least one million times across the internet. Nearly all of the American-made software and web browers have options to change their language settings to British English.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
A couple of nights ago I watched an old episode of the British TV Series "Heartbeat".

It was a Christmas episode, and I noticed the american word "truck" was used instead of lorry.
Also character "Greengrass" dressed up as Santa Claus, and was called Santa by kids in the episode.
I always thought Santa Claus was an american/canadian thing, that in the UK it's "Father Christmas".

Truck has always been used in England, I dont think its an 'American word', a truck is a certain type of vehicle in the UK, initially a 'truck' was a 'wagon' on a train and it crossed over to motorised transport, I think that to most people in the UK a 'truck' is a small lorry. :-)

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I think this might be called a truck in the UK sometimes..

But van is probably more popular. I would never call it a truck myself.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think this might be called a truck in the UK sometimes..

But van is probably more popular. I would never call it a truck myself.
I would probably call it a 'truck' for me a van is more like a transit and a lorry is something with a seperate trailer but to be completely honest with you I might refer to it as any of the three!! lol

Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post

I think it sounds daft when british people use american words. English in particular. I was watching TLC and this english narrator kept saying "lucy has been to tha stoorre and has just spent fowa undred coowpons on diapars". Please..

And it is santa here.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Store is frequently used where I live.. never hear coupons though. Or diapers.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Its funny the way they say coupons though. Its like 'quepins'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom