Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
What's ironic is that her music actually sucks and is just pop, when she probably set out to be something "outside the box".
she is even more annoying herself than her music , a whiney feminist type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
people have a vote , that people vote in large numbers for political parties who advocate for foreign adventures , is proof enough that voters support foreign intervention
remind me how well that theory worked out in germany in the 1930s ????

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
I was over in the accent thread talking about estates just now.
Her in Northern Ireland we have loads of estates, i have 4 within a 15 mile radius. Some are occupoed by the national trust and some are occupied by the english families who built them. I find it fascinating because those estates are 400 years or so and their families are still living here. The plantation started before america was colonised and there is very little evidence of british colonising families continuing to reside there. We are very unique.

To me its nothing but its actually amazing to have this 400 year archetecture still roaming the earth. Alot of the houses have loads of old document sand photo- there is lots of evidence of the plantation. Whats interesting is the fact that they continue to have an english accent.

I was in a town next to me and it said "400 year anniversary". Not one buidling in that town is 400 years old, i thought to myself all of those estates have really been there as Northern Ireland was founded. Most of our towns were actually built 400 years ago. There wasnt much before infact local population was like 3000 in 1600, now it is 300,000.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
remind me how well that theory worked out in germany in the 1930s ????
Or for the US in South East Asian in the 1960's and 70's. Or for that matter South Central Asia in the first decade of the 21st century.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
I like the idea of colonization.

People act as if Africans, Asians or "American Indians" wouldn't have colonized Europe if they could have.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

People act as if Africans, Asians or "American Indians" wouldn't have colonized Europe if they could have.
You forgot to add China and Japan, if it hadn't been Britain it would have been Someone else.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Quote:

They did.

The Moors from North Africa, for one, occupied large parts of Spain, Portugal and of Italy.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
They did.

The Moors from North Africa, for one, occupied large parts of Spain, Portugal and of Italy.
Shhhhhh........

Blacks are pure as driven snow!

Only white Europeans were expansionists.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:

Is this a joke?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,245 times
Quote:

Given that the human race is supposed to have originated in Africa, it seems that those bloody Africans have done quite a bit of colonising over the years!

Before they were called 'American Indians' the tribes of the Athabascan sub-culture crossed the land bridge (which was there at the time) between Asia and what became Alaska, moved South and colonised both North and South America! - Not too shabby, as colonisers go.

Then, of course, there were 'Los Conquistadores' who colonised large parts of America before opting for a less stressful life as a 'minority'.

I immigrated to the UK (from a place which had never been a colony of the UK) in the 1960s . I've been told by African Americans that I should take responsibility for the slave trade carried on by my ancestors.

When I point out that my ancestors weren't involved in slave trading (they were more interested in wrecking, piracy, smuggling and murder on the high seas ) those who think I should pay tend to run out of arguments.

Should I suggest that perhaps their own ancestors, who were responsible for selling the slaves to the slavers, should be held responsible, there's normally an outcry.

How far back do you want to go when you apportion blame for perceived ills and wrongdoings?

The UK (and many other ex-colonial powers) often offer immigration and 'instant nationality' to citizens of their former colonies.

How far back should that go?

If you were an adult in one of those former colonies (a person responsible for supporting himself/herself) then you might conceivably have a claim, but if you were a child, then the only claim you might have is against your parents or whoever was responsible for bringing you up (and whoever, it seems, did such a poor job of it.)

If you weren't even born when your homeland was a colony, why should you be entitled to anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom