U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 PM

2,657 posts, read 4,191,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well its a Northern Irish issue. I don't like ROI involvement and I struggle to understand why the Irish president feels the need to goto London to discuss issues about my country when it is no skin of his nose AND people down there have no clue about us!!!

And really what skin of the Irish government is the Good Friday Agreement. That stupid agreement is pointless and means absolutely nothing to me. I don't care about it but people down there seem to go on and on about its great importance.

No one in Northern Ireland really cares about what the Irish government has done for us and I am pretty sure that it is mutually exclusive. Sorry but it is just how it is. We do not care or ever think about what they have done. At least in my place. Which is expected as we are so far away from ROI we may aswell be in India.

Of course yes there was misconduct. The UK did not respect the Irish and I will not praise that but that is how it is. Times have moved on and I think if Ireland was in the UK now the UK would pay more attention to them than us! Dublin for sure, infact they'd probably not bother with us at all. I do however know we are far better off in the UK than we will ever be down there.
NI is so far away from ROI might as well be in India

Yes I agree that things have moved on and people should respect democracy.

I suppose we've said enough about Ireland & NI now and should be discussing Scotland.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 PM

301 posts, read 414,755 times
If Scotland left Britain, it would be condemning Britain to a permanent conservative government.

The English and the rest of Britain needs the scots to vote in the general elections, it gives Britain the healthy mix of labour governments and Tory governments, please don't condemn us to a permanent Tory government.

We need the millions of labour votes that come from Scotland to keep British politics stable and progressive.

We need Scotland and we need the viable opposition Labour Party that it gives us, to balance out the Tories and give Britain a varied government and election cycle.

Our nuclear weapons and naval dockyards are also based in Scotland, a major part of the British military is Scottish, it would be devastating to lose that.
We need our nukes and navy to protect Britain. The only country that would fight to the death to protect Britain (england and scotland) is Britain.

The British population and GDP is forecast to overtake Germany by 2035, then Britain will be the biggest and highest GDP country in the EU, but if Scotland left Britain this won't happen.

England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. I think our union works well, why change it.
But it is up to the Scottish people to decide, it's their future, and as much as it is difficult to sit and watch this and feel powerless to contribute to the decision, we have to accept that if they want to leave, then (as fellow british citizens) it is their right to decide.

I just hope that they decide that they are proud of what they have achieved as Britain and don't want to lose it after all the work they have put into making Britain successfull

Also, the British flag wouldn't be the same without all that blue, it would look strange.
And it's not just our flag, lots of countries around the world have the British flag in the corner of their flags.
Scotland's colours are in the union jack in other countries around the world, the blue is the most distinctive feature of the union jack along with the red, and these countries don't want to see the blue removed from the corner of their flags, it would ruin the ascetics of the Union Jack and the historical links that these countries have with England and Scotland.

Scotland is the co leader and founder of the British empire and the British commonwealth and the anglo world, this puts Scotland in a revered place at the tops of geo politics, if Scotland left Britain, scotland would also be losing all of that, and all the other things it has earned as the co creator of Britain, the empire, and commonwealth

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 03-28-2014 at 12:02 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,196,881 times
If the people of Scotland want their independence that's for them to decide. But when Alex Salmond said that the rest of the UK should not have a say on whether there should be a currency union with Scotland was par for the course for the yes campaign.

The arrogance of the man was unbelievable, demanding that the rest of the UK support the financial institutions of an independent Scotland, which would be, in effect, a foreign country after independence. Any rUK political party that backed a currency union with an independent Scotland would be crucified at the 2015 election, and the politicians know it.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 14,619,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
...I agree, and refer you to my post #150 "Scotland would do just fine as an independent nation and I am not really interested in whether they would be a few percentage points better or worse off." However, it is worth noting how independent Ireland recently came cap in hand to nasty old England for loans to bail them out.....
This does not agree with what was reported in the UK media.

Ireland went to the EU, IMF, etc. for funds after bailing out its banks. The U.K. then - on its own initiative - offered the Irish a bilateral loan that they had not asked for. There was no cap in hand request to the U.K.

The reason for the U.K. making this offer was quite simple. Ireland is a major trading partner of the U.K., and the U.K. at that time was already in a slough. The reasoning in London was that the sooner that Ireland got back on its economic feet and any austerity measures there were no longer necessary, the sooner they would be back to buying more U.K. made goods. And this would be good for the very wobbly U.K. economy.

And as it turns out this was a smart move on the U.K. government's part.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 14,619,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
If the people of Scotland want their independence that's for them to decide. But when Alex Salmond said that the rest of the UK should not have a say on whether there should be a currency union with Scotland was par for the course for the yes campaign.

The arrogance of the man was unbelievable, demanding that the rest of the UK support the financial institutions of an independent Scotland, which would be, in effect, a foreign country after independence. Any rUK political party that backed a currency union with an independent Scotland would be crucified at the 2015 election, and the politicians know it.
Independence for Scotland seems highly unlikely. And by rejecting any currency union London has made it even less likely.

However, the Really Big Question is not about Scotland, but rather that of the U.K. negotiating its way out of the E.U. If the E.U. insists that the "Norwegian option" is the only special trade arrangement available to the a non-member U.K., Mr. Cameron (assuming he is still at the helm) would have no choice but to reject it as he has already insisted that this would not be acceptable.

And a secession from the E.U. with neither the Norwegian option in place or its own (unlikely) special deal in place with the E.U. would throw the British economy into a tailspin for years. It would be an economic disaster for a nation already being told that prosperity is somewhere out there over the rainbow.

The Scotland drama is getting far more play from the Coalition government than it deserves as a distraction from the really, ominous Big Show that is looming. Thus, you have the Coalition Couple and Eddy the Labour Kid tap dancing over this Scotland thing for all their little tails are worth.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,617,422 times
I definitely will follow the Scottish saga, whether or not they choose to become independent this autumn!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 AM

15,273 posts, read 13,022,589 times
The ploy of allowing 16 year olds to vote was madness,or clever on the part of Salmond, most kids that age dont know the time of day never mind choosing a government.. and all the romantic stories of Scotland will get to them Id imagine..influencing the votes.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:24 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,678,602 times
It seems more like a feel-good notion more than anything, has anyone put any thought into the practical consequences of Scottish independence? I mean they're pretty autonomous as it is with their own parliament etc.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,263,559 times
To say independence is ''highly'' unlikely is just not true.

Yes will overtake No in five months’ time | Arc of Prosperity

Wings Over Scotland | Why they’re afraid

Referendum on knife edge as Yes closes gap to five points

Yes campaign support 'increasing' (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

These are all from this month.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,196,881 times
Well Paul this week the Scottish Herald published a TNS independence survey, and the results were:

No 42%
Yes 28%
Don't know 30%

So that's a 14% lead for the no vote, and that's quite a sizeable lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom