Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 32,909 times

Advertisements

Hello!

This is my first time posting here.

My British boyfriend and I have been together for a few years and are wanting to get married. He currently lives in England and I live in the States.

From the research it seems pretty easy to get married, but the questions and concerns we are having is how difficult will it be for me to move there? Get a job?

What all is required and/or do you know of a website that would give me the run down of all that is required?

I've read conflicting reports of us needing to save £10,000 in our savings account before I can make the move over.

We are grateful for ANY help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
Your boyfriend will be your sponsor for either a spouse or a fiancee visa depending on where you get married. He must meet the financial requirements (must earn at least £18,600 /year) and be able to provide accomodation. See UK Border Agency | Getting married or registering a civil partnership in the UK
You can apply for the visa yourself if you are confident you fully understand all the documentation you must provide to support your application. If not seek professional help here People Seeking Immigration Advice: The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
Once you have a spouse visa you can work - you don't need a work visa if you have a spouse visa.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Thank you so very kindly for your response!

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
You might also wish to look at:

Freedom of movement in the EU
Free movement for EU citizens and their non-EU family members

Noting the ruling of the Irish High Court in: The Irish high court judgement of Raducan & Anor -v- MJELR & Ors [2011] IEHC 224

"26. It is a matter of profound regret that a perfectly innocent [family member of an EU citizen] who had every right to enter [Ireland] was instead refused entry and found herself obliged to spend the equivalent of almost three full days in custody."

and

ECJ case C-459/99 MRAX v Etat Belge [2002] [from which it] is clear that what is required for entry of the family member who does not have a required visa is two things: proof of their family relationship (e.g. a marriage certificate) to the EU citizen and proof of their identity (e.g. a passport). There is no requirement outlined that the family member must answer non-material questions of the border official.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM

255 posts, read 565,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
You might also wish to look at:

Freedom of movement in the EU
Free movement for EU citizens and their non-EU family members

Noting the ruling of the Irish High Court in: The Irish high court judgement of Raducan & Anor -v- MJELR & Ors [2011] IEHC 224

"26. It is a matter of profound regret that a perfectly innocent [family member of an EU citizen] who had every right to enter [Ireland] was instead refused entry and found herself obliged to spend the equivalent of almost three full days in custody."

and

ECJ case C-459/99 MRAX v Etat Belge [2002] [from which it] is clear that what is required for entry of the family member who does not have a required visa is two things: proof of their family relationship (e.g. a marriage certificate) to the EU citizen and proof of their identity (e.g. a passport). There is no requirement outlined that the family member must answer non-material questions of the border official.
That is an EU citizen from outside Ireland. It is a different scenario from the OP. They could, once they
were married get EU residence by the EU citizen invoking a treaty right which would be finding a job
in another country outside his own. Once he has done that and got a EU residence permit for his wife in the said country. they can both move to the UK - Look up the Surinder Singh route.

However, if they go via the British embassy - none of those rules count and yes - it is easier for a German to bring
non-EU spouse to live in the UK than it is for a Brit to bring his own wife to live in his country - silly as
it is.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
It's easy as long as its genuine. My wife moved over with me a decade ago. You don't need anything saved - you just have to prove that you can live above the poverty level and have somewhere to live. You won't have access to any of Britain's social benefits for the first two years either.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM

255 posts, read 565,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
It's easy as long as its genuine. My wife moved over with me a decade ago. You don't need anything saved - you just have to prove that you can live above the poverty level and have somewhere to live. You won't have access to any of Britain's social benefits for the first two years either.
It has changed a lot from 10 years ago. You need a job paying more than 18,600 pounds a year or
57000 pounds in savings. They have made it hard to pander to the readership of the daily mail.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Are you planning to get married in the US or the UK? If you are getting married in the UK, there are different things you need to do. You'll have to apply for the fiance visa and then after getting married, apply for the spouse visa. If you don't apply for the fiance visa, you can still get married but you'll have to return to the US to apply for the spouse visa.

This is the link for info on fiance visas: UK Border Agency | Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or settled person

If you're getting married in the US, you'll just need to apply for the spouse visa after you get married, before going to the UK. This is the link for info on spouse visas: UK Border Agency | Partner of a British citizen or settled person

Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 AM

First off, thank you all for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Are you planning to get married in the US or the UK? If you are getting married in the UK, there are different things you need to do. You'll have to apply for the fiance visa and then after getting married, apply for the spouse visa. If you don't apply for the fiance visa, you can still get married but you'll have to return to the US to apply for the spouse visa.

This is the link for info on fiance visas: UK Border Agency | Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or settled person

If you're getting married in the US, you'll just need to apply for the spouse visa after you get married, before going to the UK. This is the link for info on spouse visas: UK Border Agency | Partner of a British citizen or settled person

Ahhh, where to get married - that is the part we are unsure of. I've read if you get married in UK, I would have to fly back to US and apply for visa etc. We would like to make this as cost efficient as possible. We're not poor by any means, but trying to save money where we can, as it seems as though I might not be able to work for a bit. If marrying in US is easier and less costly, we would prefer that. i.e. ONCE I'm in England, I want to stay, unless I/we come back to the States to visit family or go on holiday etc...

With everyone's help, it looks like we have a lot of homework ahead of us!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
I believe both the fiancee and spouse visas are now £850 each so if you don't mind where you get married you might as well do so in the US then apply for the spouse visa only. If you wanted to get married in the UK and avoid having to return to the US afterwards, you would need the fiancee visa first then the spouse visa: £1700 total. A UK citizen does not need a visa to get married in the US provided he has proof that he will be returning home afterwards. If you decide you need a legal professional to guide you through the process do not make the mistake of hiring a US attorney - he will likely know squat about British immigration law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom