Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,030 times

Advertisements

BBC, ITV and Channel 4 dramas are much better than most American TV dramas. And not stupid period dramas, things like Luther, The Shadow Line, Misfits, Utopia etc. All got proper accents conveyed in them to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,644,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I find it tedious that article, it's like they are trying to give the US credit for the Beatles and Adele lol. It is seriously hilarious. The Beatles sound British, you can hear the nasaly accent coming through.

"If they talk like that, but sing like that - they must be mimicking us"

You can't write this stuff! It's their natural singing voice!
I'm truly glad you got a good laugh out of the article but even the Beatles said they got a lot of their ideas and inspiration from American rock'n'roll. I don't have any skin in the game, I don't care where they got it from but that's what they said. I don't even like American rock'n'roll but I loved the Beatles.

If you really want a belly laugh, the Beatles even sang some genuine American songs! The Beatles' own songs were much better, imho, but they really sang actual some American rock'n'roll. It doesn't mean Americans are trying to take any credit for the Beatles. We had singers who tried to be like the Beatles, we had practically every grown man in America wearing a Beatles haircut. It goes both ways.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,425,286 times
Quote:
I find it tedious that article, it's like they are trying to give the US credit for the Beatles and Adele lol. It is seriously hilarious. The Beatles sound British, you can hear the nasaly accent coming through.

"If they talk like that, but sing like that - they must be mimicking us"

You can't write this stuff! It's their natural singing voice!
How come The Dubliners or Billy Bragg don't have that 'singing voice' then?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,030 times
Ideas and inspiration is different to mimicking. British music has always done its own thing from UK garage, drum and base, house music, grim rap etc, etc. Because they choose to make an effort when singing to keep their accent, most Brits, Aussis, Americans will sound similar with their natural singing voice.

To suggest all these great musicians are TRYING to sound American is stupid.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,260 times
whats interesting for me about frazier is the prescence of daphne and the fact that her character is a provincial i/e not from london or the home counties

Old 12-21-2014, 06:53 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,579,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I'm assuming you have one, and that you otherwise don't personally think much of it. When you encounter non-Brits, do they fawn over your accent? Does it bother you? Or do you see it as a compliment/use it to your advantage?

I'd also like to know what kind of accent you have, for reference, as I'm certain there's a regional difference.
Why I don't have an accent... Mines a normal one...

Old 01-01-2015, 11:38 AM

215 posts, read 389,753 times
Quote:
BBC, ITV and Channel 4 dramas are much better than most American TV dramas. And not stupid period dramas, things like Luther, The Shadow Line, Misfits, Utopia etc. All got proper accents conveyed in them to
Luther was one of the best shows in television history.

loved that show.

wish they had let it last a lot longer than just 3 or 4 seasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom