Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,226 times

Advertisements

Word of advice if you do happen to walk into a pub just so you know it is not standard practice to buy everyone a drink just because you're from Texas.

Not everyone is going to assume you are an international oil baron though I notice Dallas is back on air over on Channel 5.

I'm warning you because the last time I saw a native Texan walk into my local Irish pub even though he was a giant of a man he looked petrified and felt the need to buy everyone a drink and for some reason wouldn't accept one back.

Real friendly fella, size of an ox but the whole thing seemed like a bit of a culture shock to him so perhaps you'll be best advised sticking to the more civilised pubs. Be careful not to stray too far off the beaten track.

He probably could have swatted some of the locals like flies the size of him but the happy hour after work crowd really gave him the Hebe-jebes for some reason. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,050 times
I spent some time in London a long time ago, but given the timeframe and other great advice here can't add too much. One thing you might want to look into for dinner on one of the nights is the The Banquet | Medieval Banquet London at the Tower of London....if you are into that sort of thing.

Its a little touristy, but I do remember (somewhat) having a good time when we there.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Word of advice if you do happen to walk into a pub just so you know it is not standard practice to buy everyone a drink just because you're from Texas.

Not everyone is going to assume you are an international oil baron though I notice Dallas is back on air over on Channel 5.

I'm warning you because the last time I saw a native Texan walk into my local Irish pub even though he was a giant of a man he looked petrified and felt the need to buy everyone a drink and for some reason wouldn't accept one back.

Real friendly fella, size of an ox but the whole thing seemed like a bit of a culture shock to him so perhaps you'll be best advised sticking to the more civilised pubs. Be careful not to stray too far off the beaten track.

He probably could have swatted some of the locals like flies the size of him but the happy hour after work crowd really gave him the Hebe-jebes for some reason. Enjoy.
Don't worry - I'm not insecure enough to EVER feel the need to buy everyone in the bar a drink!

And I'm quite comfortable straying WAY off the beaten path!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
If you're looking for places to cross off your list, I would nominate Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus. They are two of the most depressing places in London...
Leicester Square is one of my favorite London places! Just beautiful in the springtime, during the day with sunshine and flowers. And a completely different atmosphere at night, with film premiers and all the movie marquees (but is it under reno these days?).

Picadilly Circus is quite electric and vibrant at night. Don't have to spend much time there, but worth a short visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
People may recommend you go up the Shard (the new tall building south of London Bridge), but if you like history you might be more satisfied with the Monument (on the north side of London Bridge), which is a somewhat smaller tower built in 1666 to celebrate the end of the Great Fire.
My vote for a nice view of the city is Westminster Cathedral (not Abbey). Haven't seen the Shard yet -- but I'm sure the views are worth a visit!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I spent some time in London a long time ago, but given the timeframe and other great advice here can't add too much. One thing you might want to look into for dinner on one of the nights is the The Banquet | Medieval Banquet London at the Tower of London....if you are into that sort of thing.

Its a little touristy, but I do remember (somewhat) having a good time when we there.
Hmmmm, sounds a bit like Medieval Times here in Dallas...

I think one night we are going to a pub to just hang out after we ride the Eye, and then one night we are going to the Globe Theater. But that Tower dinner thing sounds like it could be fun.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post

By the way, just so you know - it's NOT customary for "people from Texas" to buy everyone in the bar a drink. And I would never assume that people in the UK are ignorant enough to think that just because we're from Texas, we're oil barons.

Even though my husband does work in the oil and gas industry.

So - no worries.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm going back next year, and probably once a year for the next three or four years since my daughter is living in Harrogate for several years. So hopefully this will be my first of several London excursions!
Lucky you ! This will give you a good taste of what life in the U.K. is like. I enjoy it immensely as a tourist, but not sure if I could live there full time.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM

521 posts, read 1,472,809 times
I haven't been to Hampton Court Palace yet but I will do. By all accounts though it really takes a full day to travel there and back to London + see everything. I wouldn't schedule anything else in for that day if you go (unless it was something in the evening).

I like the Tower of London but that can easily take half a day. I personally love Westminster Abbey and would highly recommend the extra £3 for a Verger tour. Like St Paul's too and it is big enough to swallow the crowds, where as WA can be overwhelmingly busy but if I had to pick one it would be WA (plenty of other people would pick St P's!).

The National Gallery would be a yes and as its free if you hate it you can simply leave without having to worry about getting your moneys worth. The war rooms. How do I put this? I was very disappointed and I am huge Churchill and WWII buff (my dad was 16 when the war finished so you can imagine how that affected my upbringing - we've driven halfway across France to visit the U-boat pens at St Nazaire on our summer holidays). Absolutely everybody raves about how great they are but I just saw shabby, cheap displays with poor quality dummies. I just didn't get it but I'm very much in a minority on this one.

I would agree with you 100% about changing of the guard and with your tight schedule I honestly don't think it will be worth your time. If you had a week then fine but as it is there are better things to see and do. A museum I wasn't expecting to like was the Victoria & Albert - yes there were parts that didn't hold my interest but there was plenty of interesting architectural exhibits that I liked (ok, I accept that I might be a bit odd )

Old 03-30-2013, 01:08 PM

241 posts, read 303,814 times
Day one, do the stop and go bus. You can see just about everything in central London and decide what you want to see the rest of the time based on what you see. Best things: Museums (Knightbridge), walking from Picadilly to Trafalgar Square, to Westmister and Covent Gardens, etc. All withing walking distance. I really love the Tower of London and going to Pettycoat Lane (eastend) on Sundays. Too many thins to list. Do the bus tour and get an idea. I also love the British War Museum across the river from Waterloo Bridge also close to the London Eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom