Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ten percent of American homes are mobile homes. Ninety percent of Americans do not live in either a single wide OR double wide mobile home. They live in detached homes, townhouses, or apartments.

Just so you know.
Do you understand the word irony ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Do you understand the word irony ?
Yes. Do you understand the phrase "accurate information?"

Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
Quote:
Yes. Do you understand the phrase "accurate information?"
Well, what is admissible as information then? Since you don't like the OECD or Princeton, what sort of organisation would information have to be gathered or collated by in order to meet with your seal of approval?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Without wanting to come across as difficult, it does rather seem that you have commendably high standards when it comes to the sources of information that conflicts with your personal experience, but when it comes to 'correcting' an statement that someone else has made on the basis of their own observations, you are happy to quote figures without linking to any source at all, reputable or otherwise...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Well, what is admissible as information then? Since you don't like the OECD or Princeton, what sort of organisation would information have to be gathered or collated by in order to meet with your seal of approval?
I am SKEPTICAL of the OECD (especially) - since they are a conglomerate of international bankers basically. As for the remark about Princeton, once again, my humor wasn't evident to you. But that's OK.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Without wanting to come across as difficult, it does rather seem that you have commendably high standards when it comes to the sources of information that conflicts with your personal experience, but when it comes to 'correcting' an statement that someone else has made on the basis of their own observations, you are happy to quote figures without linking to any source at all, reputable or otherwise...
I nearly always link actual figures to sources. I don't REPEAT the links if I repeat the figures, and on figures such as, say, population count, that's so easily found that I don't usually give those links (though occasionally I do).

But I generally do give links to demographics, studies, articles, etc.

As for coming across as difficult, well - you ARE a bit like a bulldog, but that's OK - so am I. I do understand that aspect of your personality, even if we do have a disconnect when it comes to humor.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I am SKEPTICAL of the OECD (especially) - since they are a conglomerate of international bankers basically. As for the remark about Princeton, once again, my humor wasn't evident to you. But that's OK.
TBF, it doesn't appear to have been evident to anyone. Either way - so you weren't really dismissing the link to Princeton that I quoted, which reports findings similar to the OECD study?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I nearly always link actual figures to sources. I don't REPEAT the links if I repeat the figures, and on figures such as, say, population count, that's so easily found that I don't usually give those links (though occasionally I do).

But I generally do give links to demographics, studies, articles, etc.

As for coming across as difficult, well - you ARE a bit like a bulldog, but that's OK - so am I. I do understand that aspect of your personality, even if we do have a disconnect when it comes to humor.
So easily found out from where? Government statistics? I thought you didn't trust organisations linked to politicians?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
So easily found out from where? Government statistics? I thought you didn't trust organisations linked to politicians?
You accused me of not providing sources - don't deflect. I actually am very consistent when it comes to providing sources.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You accused me of not providing sources - don't deflect. I actually am very consistent when it comes to providing sources.
Well I apologise - I didn't read the post in which you provided the source for your information to NZRugby. What was that source then? Hopefully not one that falls foul of any of the verboten categories to which mine belonged.

And any thoughts on the Princeton link, if your previous dismissal of it was in fact just a joke I didn't get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom