Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I could be wrong, but it seems that the people on this forum who are expressing the most negative opinions about her were not even born, or were toddlers when she was in power.

Like I said, I'm not British and I didn't live under her "rule." But as others have pointed out, her party (and hence, her ideology) was apparently supported by popular vote for over a decade. So...like I said earlier, maybe all of us democratic countries deserve the government officials that are - or were - in power.
Those people were still affected by what she did. For instance the children of the miners, steel workers etc. who lost their jobs - they have every right to be angry at Thatcher and glad that she's dead. And even those who did not feel the worst of it can still be angry for those that did.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Those people were still affected by what she did. For instance the children of the miners, steel workers etc. who lost their jobs - they have every right to be angry at Thatcher and glad that she's dead. And even those who did not feel the worst of it can still be angry for those that did.
Of course they "have the right" to be angry.

Like I said (and will repeat), I am just surprised at the level of animosity and hatred. I've only seen this much hatred directed at truly godawful despots in the past. You can agree or disagree, but it really doesn't matter - I'm only relaying my own personal experience and observation and opinion.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
I could be wrong, but it seems that the people on this forum who are expressing the most negative opinions about her were not even born, or were toddlers when she was in power.

Like I said, I'm not British and I didn't live under her "rule." But as others have pointed out, her party (and hence, her ideology) was apparently supported by popular vote for over a decade. So...like I said earlier, maybe all of us democratic countries deserve the government officials that are - or were - in power.
I don't consider my opinion about her negative at all, i remember it as it was and saw the consequences of her rule.
I am appalled though to see the type of behaviour happening in the UK with young people celebrating her death, haven't seen anything like it since the end of the war when at the victory V parties effigies of Hitler were burned on the streets.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Chavs are just wee tramps looking for something to do. Ignore them.

Its the same over here. They dont have a valued opinion and have an iq of about 0.0527828. If you ever see them in the street sometimes they give you smart arse remarks. They always fail at me because I take them right down.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Of course they "have the right" to be angry.

Like I said (and will repeat), I am just surprised at the level of animosity and hatred. I've only seen this much hatred directed at truly godawful despots in the past. You can agree or disagree, but it really doesn't matter - I'm only relaying my own personal experience and observation and opinion.
I'm not surprised. People's lives were ruined and even though it wasn't just her to blame of course, people tend to pick one person as the object of their anger. And the reason that some people are so glad that she's dead, even though her death doesn't make a difference to anything, is that it provides a kind of closure for them (at least thats how one person I know described it, and that makes sense to me).
Of course a lot of the hatred and bad behaviour is just people looking for an excuse to behave that way, but thats just human nature.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
She will be receiving a ceremonial funeral, not a state funeral.

No state funeral for Margaret Thatcher | Politics | The Guardian
Maybe I don't understand UK politics, but how the hell does a prime minister not get a state funeral?

Even the most worthless presidents in U.S. history have received and/or will receive a state funeral. It's not even a question.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
It also seems a lot of blame was at the feet of the Unions at that time, who changed working rules..

Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe I don't understand UK politics, but how the hell does a prime minister not get a state funeral?

Even the most worthless presidents in U.S. history have received and/or will receive a state funeral. It's not even a question.
A US President is head of state. A British prime minister is not.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
It also seems a lot of blame was at the feet of the Unions at that time, who changed working rules..
The unions were part of the problem but not the only part. Economic conditions were the real culprit. Both the 1970s and the 1980s were very conflictual. Manufacturing industry had been declining throughout the 1960s and 1970s and that, combined with rising unemployment, economic stagnation and rampant inflation led to workers and unions taking action to try to protect their jobs and real wages. Government action in the 1970s - and notably compulsory wage 'restraint' - didn't help.

Thatcher came at the tail end of this. She tends to carry all the blame but it is arguable that Callaghan, Heath and Wilson carry just as much blame. None of them really had a clue as to how to arrest the decline of industry. I think that Thatcher wanted to be the person that halted the British economic decline. In my view she failed in that objective. Her personal style led to her being very unpopular but I am not convinced that her policies were any worse, or better, than her predecessors.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
A US President is head of state. A British prime minister is not.
To the extent that the PM is the de facto head of state any more, I don't think a state funeral is all that much to ask. But again, perhaps I fundamentally misunderstand UK politics.

EDIT: OK, after looking at a list of non-royal state funerals, it looks to be a very rare thing indeed and that only one PM has been honored with. (No mystery which one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom