Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:19 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
As pointed out, I'm actually British and am (nearly always) speaking as one. Nothing is completely altruistic, nor am I suggesting otherwise. US presence in foreign countries, military assistance etc is always part if a larger agenda. If that wasn't the case then both the US and UK would have been in North Korea rather than Iraq, right?!

The point is the same visa versa. The UK gains much in terms of intelligence and muscle from its close relationship with the US. An enormous cost should it choose to ask the US to "leave" so to speak. I actually think the US should scale down its foreign affairs and demand that other regions actually beef up their own defense capabilities - Europe being the biggest example.
I agree, it's absurd that we have troops spread all over the world including UK, Germany, S. Korea, Japan, Afghanistan, etc. I'm in favor of our returning to our pre-WWII policy of staying out of other people's fights/disagreements. Having said that, I don't object to some collaboration with a few countries such as UK, Canada, Australia.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM

301 posts, read 521,321 times
I know a lot of British and Australian soldiers were angry when they got back to their countries at the end of the war and found that their girlfriends were pregnant by American soldiers, soldiers who all went back to America before the births and never met their new children.

A lot of the British military bases and American military bases in Germany are being closed, America has closed down most of their military bases in Germany now and Britain only have a few military bases left in Germany too.
American bases in Britain have also been closed down, they only have a couple of bases left now.

I would prefer that Britain and America don't close anymore of our military bases in Germany, we might need them soon, Russia is resurgent now.

I also think that the few American bases left in Britain should not be closed, there aren't many left now, they are a symbol of british and anerican military partnership and they are still a military asset.

British and American bases are both stationed near each other in countries around the world, this is because of the UK's and USA's shared military and geo-political national interests.

Britain and America both have bases and military institutions in other countries around the world and I think we should keep them open, they serve our geo-political interests.

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 03-25-2014 at 09:55 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 PM

301 posts, read 521,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree, it's absurd that we have troops spread all over the world including UK, Germany, S. Korea, Japan, Afghanistan, etc. I'm in favor of our returning to our pre-WWII policy of staying out of other people's fights/disagreements. Having said that, I don't object to some collaboration with a few countries such as UK, Canada, Australia.
The famous 'ANGLO ALLIANCE'

UK
USA
CANADA
AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND

The 'SPECIAL FIVE'

If you're not part of it, you'll never understand it

All for one, one for all

To be in the 'SPECIAL FIVE' is a very fortunate and lucky position to be in, as it gives its members complete assurance of militarial, political and economical health, wealth and success

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 03-25-2014 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM

598 posts, read 955,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Given the enormous size of the average American these days the saying would now be " over-weight and over here."
I hear they're thinking of changing the national symbol of the American Eagle to an American Deep Fat Fryer.
Americans are so fat I'm going to take legal action against them and take them to the International Food Court.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:38 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Overfed was in the saying too..

The phrase was popularized by Tommy Trinder (1909-1989), a well-known and well-liked English comedian (seen here with Phil Silvers). His version of the line which, although he gave it wide circulation was probably coined by someone else, was "overpaid, overfed, oversexed and over here".

Oversexed, overpaid and over here

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I know a lot of British and Australian soldiers were angry when they got back to their countries at the end of the war and found that their girlfriends were pregnant by American soldiers,
I assume they ditched them immediately. A slag is a slag ! After WW2 there was far more men than women around. It would have been easy to get a new girl friend. I recall one old merchant sailor who said as WW2 ended he sailed into Finland. He said there were girls galore in the place as many Finish men died in the war, and they were throwing themselves at them. The Finns were quite poor because of the war and they thought all in the UK were well off.

I know one soldier was in the Balkans (Kosovo?) about 12 years ago. The local mothers would bring their daughters up to the British camps begging the soldiers to take them.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I assume they ditched them immediately. A slag is a slag ! After WW2 there was far more men than women around. It would have been easy to get a new girl friend. I recall one old merchant sailor who said as WW2 ended he sailed into Finland. He said there were girls galore in the place as many Finish men died in the war, and they were throwing themselves at them. The Finns were quite poor because of the war and they thought all in the UK were well off.

I know one soldier was in the Balkans (Kosovo?) about 12 years ago. The local mothers would bring their daughters up to the British camps begging the soldiers to take them.
Not that easy! My great uncle was in the rearguard at Dunkirk. Was wounded there and captured. He spent the next 5 years in a POW camp. When he got home he found his wife with a two year old and a three year old. Obviously he left her but she refused to consent to a divorce .... it was much harder to get divorced in those days unless you were rich. Which essentially mean't that he had to live 'in sin' with my great aunt until his wife died.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
Americans are so fat I'm going to take legal action against them and take them to the International Food Court.

Mexico is actually the most obese country in the world. The UK isn't far behind either. Not sure about Australia - who cares?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
The American mission here has been very successful and they have installed a western style democratic system, bit now it's time for you to go and seek pastures new.

BBC News - Fears for future of US base RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk

BBC News - RAF Lakenheath too far from 'combat areas'

It's been nice, but it looks like you are heading home, with only a downsized Mildenhall refueling base and a couple of intelligence bases scheduled to be left in the UK if the US Government commissioned RAND Report recommendations are heeded.

Last edited by Bamford; 03-26-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
and what then were the men who came home after wars with syphillis and other diseases.... makes you wonder where they got them...http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/bo...tion%E2%80%99/ We had army barracks in Glasgow in the early 1800s and it was torn down and the men moved because of the bad area for prostitution in the Gallowgate area of Glasgow... and the amount of men with diseases... the men were put in a special ward in the Royal Infirmary in Castle st , but the women were sent to a Lock Asylum for treatment or torture shall we say, they were kept there until they saw the error of their ways and repented... children who had been abused were also in this asylum ..... I think the term whats good for the goose wasnt invented then..

Last edited by Gungnir; 03-26-2014 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom