Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There are still some series unavailale on DVD or on demand here. Having lived in Europe for so many years, I have a decent collection of region 2 DVDs. I have a second player that I hacked to be region-free so I can play those, so every once in a while I will order an actual DVD from the UK. Sad that I have to do that in this day and age!
Was there an actual decision to format DVD's differently or did the technologies develop independently? The first I'd heard of this was when my husband ordered a DVD from Amazon which had not been marked as being of the European format. When he complained that the DVD was not working they informed him of the problem. Of coarse, they made good on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Was there an actual decision to format DVD's differently or did the technologies develop independently? The first I'd heard of this was when my husband ordered a DVD from Amazon which had not been marked as being of the European format. When he complained that the DVD was not working they informed him of the problem. Of coarse, they made good on it.

It was a deliberate decision to stop people watching movies before the big studios wanted them released in other countries and to stop you buying DVD's more cheaply from other countries.

I also have a zone free DVD player so that I can watch all my British DVD's. Also sometimes series that are made in the UK are released in the US with an American voiceover, which is annoying, for example the BBC series 'The Planets' made some years ago. The American voice over version reviews on Amazon are widely reported as being inferior with people recommending you buy the British version. To avoid this kind of thing, if its made in the UK I buy from the UK.

You can buy a zone free DVD player from amazon very cheaply. I got a Sony one for less than $40 with free shipping and it works perfectly.

Here are the zones for reference:

• Region 1 - The U.S., U.S. territories and Canada
  • Region 2 - Europe, Japan, the Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, Greenland
  • Region 3 - Taiwan, Korea, the Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong
  • Region 4 - Mexico, South America, Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean
  • Region 5 - Russia, Eastern Europe, India, most of Africa, North Korea, Mongolia
  • Region 6 - China

DVD Region Map and Region Information, All Region DVD Players at Zone Free DVD

Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
We have an expensive set of DVDs about Winston Churchill that we would like to watch--someday. Someday when one of us wins the lottery and can afford to get them converted. My husband keeps trying to find a place that can do it for a reasonable fee.

For comedy I LOVED Monty Python way back when. I also loved Keeping Up Appearances and that cooking show Two Fat Ladies (remember that?) Those shows had my sort of humor. In Keeping up Appearances, my favorite episode is when they try to buy a house in the country. Seen MANY times over but I still howl with laughter. Mrs "Bouquet"
is pursued by what we would call a Local Yokel who has actually taken a fancy to her. Poor Richard cracked his head on the low ceiling beams (if I remember correctly) but it would make a perfect room for candlelight dinners.

Some British shows have humor that is fast talking and glib (if that's the word.) Goes right over my empty head. (I said that so you don't have to.)

For American humor, men are supposed to like Abbot & Costello, the slapstick type of comedy,and most women hate it. I can't stand to watch the guy holding a board and when he turns around he hits the other guy in the head with it. Men will usually be rolling in the aisles watching that.

To me, Jay Leno is hilarious but you have to be here, I think, to understand what he's getting at. I loved The Golden Girls and another old show called Who's the Boss. I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, those were really funny. I don't see anything funny on tv anymore--cannot stand those orange people, The Simpsons, have never really even looked at it except when changing channels.

I can't get any British shows now. Will have to invest in one of those Roku boxes sometime--I think then you get to see the old tv shows.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It was a deliberate decision to stop people watching movies before the big studios wanted them released in other countries and to stop you buying DVD's more cheaply from other countries.

I also have a zone free DVD player so that I can watch all my British DVD's. Also sometimes series that are made in the UK are released in the US with an American voiceover, which is annoying, for example the BBC series 'The Planets' made some years ago. The American voice over version reviews on Amazon are widely reported as being inferior with people recommending you buy the British version. To avoid this kind of thing, if its made in the UK I buy from the UK.

You can buy a zone free DVD player from amazon very cheaply. I got a Sony one for less than $40 with free shipping and it works perfectly.

Here are the zones for reference:

• Region 1 - The U.S., U.S. territories and Canada
  • Region 2 - Europe, Japan, the Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, Greenland
  • Region 3 - Taiwan, Korea, the Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong
  • Region 4 - Mexico, South America, Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean
  • Region 5 - Russia, Eastern Europe, India, most of Africa, North Korea, Mongolia
  • Region 6 - China

DVD Region Map and Region Information, All Region DVD Players at Zone Free DVD
OMG. I'll tell my husband right away--thanks.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OMG. I'll tell my husband right away--thanks.
No prob. This is the one I got:

Amazon.com: Sony - Ultra-Compact Multi Format DVD Player with USB Supports MP3 and JPEG files. Remote Included: Electronics
Very easy, just plug and play. It comes with a US plug adaptor.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
LOL

You can't go through life having never seen Blackadder. Do yourself a favour and beg borrow or steal the DVD's. Here's a clip to get you started:

General Melchett visits the troops - Blackadder - BBC - YouTube
Hugh Laurie!

Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 PM

159 posts, read 263,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Never
Heard
of
Blackadder.........

yes,WOW, rowan atkinson is comedy gold, i even enjoyed the thin blue line, and to become a silent physical comedian and become the charater mr.bean was the best throwback of classic comedy to have been shown then and since. i actually was upset to the series ending of black adder, but we here in the states had a good one also called M.A.S.H., even atkinson's stand up was extremely funny, my favorite line went something like this: role call in those just dying and coming to hell, lets see hitler- yes good here, Charles Manson- yes and here, and then he roll calls and says "the french ". I lose it to this day when i think about that stand-up!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
One of the cleverest comedies on the box.
blackadder youtube - Bing Videos

Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I quite like some American comedy but 'friends' was about as funny as falling down the stairs and breaking your leg.

Phew, and I thought I was the only one. I could never stand watching more than five minutes of that show, and I'm American. Never really got it.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I like Friends as well as the British "version" Coupling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom