Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times

Advertisements

Oh they definitely aren't. They are probably against that.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
They do seem to be rather homophobic
Really Thats not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I don't think its fair how certain ethnic groups can claim 'racist' at the drop of a pin. I think they've gone far too far. We are a white country whether people like it or not and have always been. Ever since these immigrants have arrived people have started to turn very petty. Its not fair and sometimes I as a native feel threatened because I cannot give my opinion incase I end up getting rattled at because of them. And even they notice it because one of my friends who is one of them has said so herself.
You know how much abuse immigrants went through back in the 60s? Are you aware how there are White racists in this country?
This country is a 'white' country but but I'm equally as British.
Non whites that have been born here are also no longer immigrants.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
They seem popular but also quite right-wing
They are less popular than they seem, their supporters are just noisier than the others.

To put it simply, they are isolationist and tend to blame everything on them awful forriners wot are trying to run our country. Single issue party really, their financial policies are regressive.

Quote:
Is it possible for people to have a discussion here without degenerating into a slanging match? Please!
You do know where you posted this?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
As for what they are about, here are their various manifestos:

UKIP Manifesto - UK Independence Party

They like stuff such as being able to make our own laws in our own country again, not turning more and more people's neighbourhoods into alienating no-man's-lands and expecting them to pretend to love it, bringing back grammar schools and lowering taxes. I don't expect them to ever win power with our political system, but if they knock some of the smug arrogance out of our political establishment who think they know best and nobody should be allowed to disagree with them, then they will have done their job for me.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
The UKIP are a shortcut to thinking, or a party they plays on the simpletons in society.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM

554 posts, read 736,534 times
To embellish what Ian has said, UKIP are a protest vote for those dis-satisfied with the current Government, but don't have the pre-requisite knowledge to know why the country is facing the problems it is. As has been the case throughout history for people in this sorry situation, they blame foreigners. (Immigrants & the EU.)

Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The UKIP are a shortcut to thinking, or a party they plays on the simpletons in society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
To embellish what Ian has said, UKIP are a protest vote for those dis-satisfied with the current Government, but don't have the pre-requisite knowledge to know why the country is facing the problems it is. As has been the case throughout history for people in this sorry situation, they blame foreigners. (Immigrants & the EU.)
Keep the disdainful, know-it-all (and 100% predictable) insults coming, you know they don't work any more and that they're only helping us!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
It seems to me to be a one issue party ( always a dangerous thing with political parties), right wing ,anti-Europe, anti immigration and seems doing a pretty good job of mopping up all the discontents , disabused with the Tories but too ashamed to vote BNP.

It provides a seemingly "respectable" platform for mildly to medium racist/xenophobic views.

Farage is a joke , a buffoon who plays on his image as being so ( as Boris does though Boris at least seems to have real brains behind the fluffy blond mop of unruly hair) but sadly a dangerous joke IMO.

What worries me most about UKIP is how they are playing on people's prejudices and fears and pretend to be a proper political party. However apart from being anti foreigner I don't see a lot of political acumen in real areas of public concern such as the Economy, Education, Armed Forces,Health, the Environment, Public Services, Social Services etc.... Basically anything which any Politician worth his salt would have a proper agenda on.

Nigel Farage's "Fact finding" televised trip to Bulgaria though was hilarious to watch, I'll give him that. It is hard to know with him whether he actually is an idiot or just looks and sound like one.

Sometimes the most innocuous looking people turn out to be the most dangerous. I am personally extremely wary of him and his politics and his supporters'.... Following Farage seems to be all about prejudices rather than solutions to real issues facing the UK.

The Tories despise them, Labour despises them, the Lib-Dems despise them but as long as some members of society prefer to let hysteria rule them I am afraid UKIP will carry on doing bloody well. It is becoming a second party in some constituencies. And like the Front National in France I prefer to be concerned about them and keep a wary eye on them rather than dismiss them....

Le Pen was a charismatic leader ( His Daughter Marine even more appealing because she toned down her message a tad , learning to appear moderate) , whose party was also one issue, preyed on people's innate bigotry and prejudices and fears , putting the blame on foreigners and his party is now one of the big ones on the political map of France.

Terrible economic situation, political disenfranchisement and apathy from moderate voters are all a perfect storm in the brewing IMO. It is not a good time to be complacent about UKIP. Every time any country suffers from a serious recession , all the xenophobes, racists, bigots etc... start to swell in ranks. One only has to look at 1933 Germany. It always seems to bring the worst out in people, always needing to blame others. And what better fodder for the right wing and populist media and right wing parties than those of us whose face does not quite fit ? Convenient scapegoats.

I wonder if Farage's ancestors who came and immigrated to England from France would have shared his view on immigration and giving a home to foreigners so they could flourish.... Funny how quite a few xenophobes are often the sons of immigrants/refugees themselves such as Sarkozy in France....

Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Keep the disdainful, know-it-all (and 100% predictable) insults coming, you know they don't work any more and that they're only helping us!
Well, even if you put their rediculous positions aside, the manifesto isn't actually even possible to implement. They are a "stage & drama" act. What is it that you support in their platform? Do tell..

Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
If I was British I would vote UKIP without hesitating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom