Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 12:31 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times

Advertisements

So I am an American who has been accepted to a Top 15 UK university for postergrad studies (MSc). I would not be studying a STEM field but political communications (although I have 15 years of technology experience in IT/systems in the United States).

I'm interested in staying in the UK long term.

I think the country is beautiful, love national rail service, brown sauce It is a country I could be proud to call home.

How hard would it be in your opinion for an American to secure a job if one has a bit over a year on a student visa to network and intern with various organizations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM

670 posts, read 905,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
So I am an American who has been accepted to a Top 15 UK university for postergrad studies (MSc). I would not be studying a STEM field but political communications (although I have 15 years of technology experience in IT/systems in the United States).

I'm interested in staying in the UK long term.

I think the country is beautiful, love national rail service, brown sauce It is a country I could be proud to call home.

How hard would it be in your opinion for an American to secure a job if one has a bit over a year on a student visa to network and intern with various organizations?

Not sure if I should laugh or cry. Someone gag me before I say something stupid.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
I don't think I would immigrate from america. I laugh and laugh when I see americans coming here what on undergod are you lot thinking?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
LOL our rail service is crap! Buses on the other hand are great.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM

National Rail is greater than Amtrak (which is worse than nothing).

In most of America you can walk or own a car with no other option available to you.

And hey I love brown sauce, it went great with my rasher sandwiches for breakfast. Probably not healthy but yummy.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I don't think I would immigrate from america. I laugh and laugh when I see americans coming here what on undergod are you lot thinking?

Some of us have no family to speak of, come from Red State territory, poor communities (including cities) that are rotting from the inside out where we life to work (so we hold onto our insurance) and our 10 days of vacation for the year.

This is all just my opinion of course but what I saw while in the UK I liked, a lot. Even the cold damp weather (but I'm odd like that)

Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
If you can find some organisation to sponsor you for a work visa then you are in with a chance. You may be able to apply for a permanent resident's visa after 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom