Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
You're being deliberately obtuse aren't you?
Well, honestly, I never understood it until I studied Irish and Scottish history. It was mind-blowing. Seriously. The parallels to how Native Americans were handled were uncanny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I stayed with an American woman in Scotland for 2 weeks and I loved the country and felt very at home while there. She had tried unsuccessfully for years to become a citizen of Scotland. We were across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh, on a hill in her caravan (mobile home). I went on up to St Andrews for awhile and stayed in a B&B, which was a great time. I do understand what you've posted. I wish it were otherwise.
Your friend must have been an illegal immigrant. Did she have a visa? There is no Scotland citizenship, it's UK. You have to live here legally for 5 years (3 years is here due to marriage) before you can apply for citizenship.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,276 times
Default Hoping for even more info than already on this thread

1. Thank you for your service.
2. Sounds like you are already doing this, but - do not move ANYWHERE until you thoroughly research where you are going. People are people no matter where they live and you will find the same all over this earth - try not to bring your baggage with you. Going to a new area, and in this case, country should come from a positive place (I want to go because I enjoy/"love" . . . .), not from a negative one (I want to get out of where/whatever situation I am in now because the grass is greener on the other side - it's not).
Life is difficult no matter where you live. All I am saying is make certain before you go in order to save you and everyone else a lot of misery later.
3. These posts lead me to some of my own questions regarding relocation. Scotland is one nation I am considering even though I have no Scottish ancestry. I am looking at Scotland because of what I have understood about the employment possibilities and the lifestyle. I have talked with a few Scots online, and the more I talk with them, the more I enjoy them - warm and inviting. However, words are pretty, and I am looking for reality of lifestyle. I have a current passport, and I am planning to visit in 2018 as I am working on some major life changes right now (one step at a time). My questions are: How is employment for registered nurses (specifically for anesthetists) in Scotland? UK Immigration question - would I even be eligible for a work visa? Which hospitals would be ones to explore for employment? If anyone is currently practicing as a nurse, or has first hand experience, could you please describe what to expect as far as work life goes (commute times relative to hospitals recommended, hours expected, contracts, etc. - I am looking for as much information as possible in order to make a semi-intelligent evaluation).
Thank you in advance.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,920 times
When are you planning to move? 2019? You need to be qualified for a shortage job to have any real chance of getting a work visa. What jobs will be in shortage 4 years from now is anybody's guess but here's the current list to give you a clue:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ccupation-list

Old 08-20-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
When are you planning to move? 2019? You need to be qualified for a shortage job to have any real chance of getting a work visa. What jobs will be in shortage 4 years from now is anybody's guess but here's the current list to give you a clue:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ccupation-list
Thanks for the link, after looking it over, it seems that I would qualify!
I do not have concrete plans of a move as of yet. One step at a time, I am still researching and will not be able to visit until 2018. After the visit, I will be in a better position to make a decision as to whether I relocate to Scotland, or one of the other places I am researching.
Are you in the medical community in Scotland?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Nope, not a medic so can't help that much but here's a link you might find of some use:
https://jobs.scot.nhs.uk/

Old 08-20-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Nope, not a medic so can't help that much but here's a link you might find of some use:
https://jobs.scot.nhs.uk/

Thank you once again. I will bookmark this.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,798 times
Hello , had a couple questions and was hoping to find answers in this thread as it pertains to my situation.

I was born in Canada and a friend of mine opened a restaurant in Edinburgh, I was interested in working there. My father is an Italian citizen and I was going to start the process of getting my EU citizenship. If I got this I should be able to legally live and work in Scotland correct? I've been doing some research and what I've seen is absolutely stunning... and I could use a change of pace from these harsh Canadian winters.

If anyone has some insight please reply!!

Take Care.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:20 AM

You just need to get an Italian passport (in addition to your Canadian passport, not instead of) and you can go.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
i am a receptionniste in france . how can i look for job online in scotland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom