Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornIron View Post
Must be a good tactic, The IRA threatened and terrorised with violence in Northern Ireland for nigh on 40 years and it got them everything they wanted. The last step for them is unification, which I'm happy to say is as far in the distance than ever was, due to the contentment of the nationalist middle classes who see no reason, economic or other wise to be party to a 32 county Ireland.

I crack a wry smile while I see people write about 'handing it back', the British didn't pillage it yesterday or even the day before that. When Ulster, for example, was planted in the early 1600's, the place was run by chieftains and clans, who lets be honest, weren't the most civilised of folk.

The British gave the whole island of Ireland it's western and modern ways which it basks in today so lets not have the big bad Brits spiel and neither let us denigrate the British citizens of the Provence who have shown their loyalty to the crown, not least in two world wars, for over 400 years.

I can accept people being Irish and having Northern Ireland as their home, what I can't accept is the attitudes of some in that we should all be shipped wholesale back to wherever it is they think we came from.

The Irish, as it happens, have a bit of a cheek - no other nation of people has flocked to foreign soil in such large numbers as them. America, Glasgow, Liverpool and Australia are teeming with them. They don't seem to mind a different flag then.

the arrogance and imperialist attitude pours out of you , " oh sure only we built railways , the irish ( or indeed the Indians ) would still be going round in horse and carts " , we invaded countries in order to enlighten the feckless punjabs and paddys

as for the IRA campaign , the unionists hadn't enough humility , tolerance or even wit to give the civil rights movement what they were looking for , if people are treated right , the vast majority will keep quiet and focus on everyday hum drum things, most people are not idealogues , only a tiny minority of people were involved in the IRA in the thirties , forties and fifties , had the ruling unionists given the catholics a fair shot and not treated them like second class citizens , the IRA would never have become re-energised

unionists intransigence and arrogance caused many deaths

oh and the IRA didn't get what they wanted , the republican side made far bigger conscessions than the unionists , republicans agreed to british rule , unionists only had to agree to equality , granted the notion of equality is an affront to people who see themselves as inherently superior to their neighbours but by most nations standards , unionists merely joined the twentieth century in terms of how you treat people , a bit like their buddies, the Afrikaners in south Africa

as for the irish diaspora globally , bar the reception they received from your cousins in Glasgow , they are widely respected and held in high esteem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 04:25 PM

92 posts, read 159,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
their would be little tolerance for any kind of armed rebellion from loyalist terror groups , were a united Ireland to come about , if the people support a united Ireland one day , it will happen
Just look at the furore in Northern Ireland over the flag incident, very recently. One day will never come. Keep living in that fantasy world of yours Bob. I can't understand why you're so passionate about a United Ireland. This is a past issue that should be left in the past. We have enough issues on our plate without becoming Palestine version 2.0, also.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:25 PM

45 posts, read 33,520 times
Quote:

as for the irish diaspora globally , bar the reception they received from your cousins in Glasgow , they are widely respected and held in high esteem
I should like to visit Boston and sing Tessie with the Dropkick Murphy's. I am a bit nasally, but still find singing enjoyable.

Dropkick Murphys - Tessie - YouTube

Old 06-10-2013, 04:39 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoibhd84 View Post
Just look at the furore in Northern Ireland over the flag incident, very recently. One day will never come. Keep living in that fantasy world of yours Bob. I can't understand why you're so passionate about a United Ireland. This is a past issue that should be left in the past. We have enough issues on our plate without becoming Palestine version 2.0, also.

who said im passionate about it ?

id like to see it happen but im not passionate about it , I don't even vote sinn fein , never have

Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Elizabeth's Nose View Post
I should like to visit Boston and sing Tessie with the Dropkick Murphy's. I am a bit nasally, but still find singing enjoyable.

Dropkick Murphys - Tessie - YouTube
You must be surgically detached from Queen Elizabeth's face. You are aware that she hardly ever resides in Buckingham Palace.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
who said im passionate about it ?

id like to see it happen but im not passionate about it , I don't even vote sinn fein , never have
Sorry. The tone of your post suggested otherwise. I don't care either way but realistically it won't happen, not in our lifetimes.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You must be surgically detached from Queen Elizabeth's face. You are aware that she hardly ever resides in Buckingham Palace.
Surely you do not believe you are indeed speaking to the Queen's Own Nose?

My Dear, 'tis just a lark on the Internet. Sorry to burst that bubble.

Now I decree aiobhd84 as Captain Obvious of the Day!

A Salute to the Queen's Own Rifles Of Canada - YouTube

I salute you as Sir Captain Obvious, OCE (Order Clueless Emeritus).

You may rise! Kneel again. Now rise. Now post again.

Ah ha, I did not say Queen's Nose says, you lose.

I call for peace between Ireland and Great Britain.

One day Sir Captain Obvious, Northern Ireland may indeed find itself a part of Ireland. The future is not ordained, no matter your deepest hopes and dreams on the subject.

Quote:
Sorry. The tone of your post suggested otherwise. I don't care either way but realistically it won't happen, not in our lifetimes.
His tone was perfectly neutral. The problem is between your ears gentle reader. Now then, I made a conciliatory gesture with a song that I enjoy. And you leap at me as well. You leap at nothing more than the gremlins in your own mind, Sir Captain Obvious. Good day, Sir.

Now then, where were we Royal Subjects?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM

@Queen Elizabeth's nose

I was being sarcastic. It's called joining in with the banter. Maybe you are the one with a sense of humour bypass.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
@Queen Elizabeth's nose

I was being sarcastic. It's called joining in with the banter. Maybe you are the one with a sense of humour bypass.
What about my post wasn't light banter? I just went the other way with it. You are a bit of the butt of it, but it's still humour.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Elizabeth's Nose View Post
What about my post wasn't light banter? I just went the other way with it. You are a bit of the butt of it, but it's still humour.
Butt of the joke? What have I mentioned that you find so amusing? In fact, what do you find so amusing about such a sensitive topic?Why are you derailing this thread with your so called humour?
Why don't you visit a more light hearted thread and continue your nonsense there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom