Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 03:43 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times

Advertisements

This is interesting, the dressing of the wells in and around Bakewell, DerbyshireDerbyshire Wells Dressing - Peak District and Derbyshire - Visit Peak District - E&A Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Eyam in Derbyshire is a lovely village to visit, it suffered greatly in the Great Plague Eyam - Plague Village - Derbyshire

Old 11-04-2013, 11:46 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Quote:
Despite living in England my whole life, despite having visited numerous places in the UK I have never actually been to Yorkshire! (driven through a few times), if you like Yorkshire you should read the James Herriot vet books about a Scottish vet that finds a practice to work at in rural Yorkshire in the 1930's - it will give you a fantastic insight to the unique Yorkshire character and a nostalgic feel about an 'old' England and I guarantee they will also have you laughing out loud!
Well you know the series and books with their great pictures plus actually experiencing the area for a little while certainly gave us a great appreciation for the place. I really hope Britain ALWAYS takes care of it. Now we would love to go to Eyam, the Pennines, Hadrian's Wall from east to west. And if we think about it, in a way Eyam is part of the 'true' England. Those conglomerations and its people made the country. It si there from the rocks and bricks and trees and bushes that England flowered. Hey London and Manchester and Brighton are great but the North of England is a beautiful rural jewel to behold. You guys over there are real lucky!!! And hey it's good to know we follow in the footsteps of Keats up there too! (or did he go up to the Lake District?)

Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM

58 posts, read 96,854 times
Yorkshire's great, but I think everyone is singing its praises a bit too much. No love for Lancashire?:P

Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
or Cumbria ?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabadabadooo View Post
Yorkshire's great, but I think everyone is singing its praises a bit too much. No love for Lancashire?:P
I think you are right there is much more to Britain than Yorkshire most counties have something to offer beautiful villages and countryside.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I think you are right there is much more to Britain than Yorkshire most counties have something to offer beautiful villages and countryside.
My personal favourite area of Britain is Cornwall, home of the English palms!, I ADORE the beautiful sandy beaches, the Atlantic rollers, the towns and villages and the 'rugged' inland moors.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
There are lovely parts all over in England- I can't think of a County that doesn't have lovely parts. I was lucky enough to be paid to travel round the UK for many years so I got to see more than most.

To give one example of how there are lovely parts all over, a year or so ago I drove a friend to go pick up her new car from a dealer who it turned out worked out of some barns just off the M25.

Now that doesn't sound too promising at first glance, but within a mile or so of leaving the London Orbital motorway we were in gorgeous countryside, and the setting for this business was idyllic.

We went for a pub lunch in the nearby village of Sarratt (which is in Hertfordshire) and it would be hard to think of a nicer setting.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 AM

486 posts, read 560,819 times
My favourite part of England is the W.Midlands and parts of Worcs/Hereford/Shropshire.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Here's a picture of my daughter hiking on the Yorkshire moors - she was jumping into the air and it looks like she's being abducted!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom