Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,555 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 23 year young professional that is currently working for an international pharmaceutical company based of of the Raleigh-Durham area in the United States. I have been offered a promotion which I plan to take but will be required to relocate to one of a few European cities that I can choose from. Reading is the only one in the UK and being that I don't know much about the UK to begin with I figured I would come here for some info.

Basically my biggest question is if there is a large number of young professionals living and working in Reading/is a popular destination for young people. I would prefer to be in a city around people my own age in similar situations. I.E. young, working for at least a decent company, social, etc. What is the nightlife/entertainment situation like in Reading?

Thanks for the replies as any insight will be extremely helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM

490 posts, read 682,269 times
I grew up just outside Reading and have spent a lot of time there over the years.

It is home to many European/World HQ's for tech companies. The town is in the Thames Valley (the Thames runs through the town) & the area has been nicknamed Silicon Valley. It's fairly affluent compared to the national average and housing is quite expensive as a result.

There are a lot of people similar to your profile in the town, so you would feel at home from that perspective. Very good shopping too.

There are a large number of pubs/clubs/bars that cater to the relatively affluent younger customer. The annual Reading festival is one of the biggest music festivals of the year in the UK.

Overall Reading is a mix of professional and working class areas. A bit of a bland town some may say, no architectural beauty so to speak. Some would tell you the town centre can be a bit rough at night but no more so than any other town of its size (around 140,000 people)

It's within 30-40 mins of London by train or car. Traffic can be a problem as well.

By and large it's a fine place to live and work I'd say.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
What are your other options? Reading is OK but I wouldn't call it 'desirable'. I lived there for 2 years after leaving London for a cheaper place to live before ending up in Windsor. Reading has good transport links to other places as it has a large train station.

Honestly, Reading is full of bars and restaurants, has a large shopping mall but really not much else. Don't expect anything in the way of culture or the more 'stereotypical' things you might expect by moving to England. It is bland, as Sewart pointed out, and it is rough in the evenings. Street fights are not uncommon and crime is an issue.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,555 times
Thanks for the help! My other options are Hellerup in Denmark, Manheim in Germany, Uppsala in Sweden, and Singapore. At the moment I'm leaning towards Singapore.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Street fights are not uncommon and crime is an issue.
That's a bit misleading. Street fights are not 'uncommon' in any large town. Windsor gets plenty of that and it's one of the most expensive places to live in England. Liquid nightclub on William St can be pretty much guaranteed to produce a street fight every weekend. And all this within earshot of Her Majesty in the castle! Scandalous. Seriously though, crime is no more of an issue in Reading than in any other comparably large English town. Less than a few I can think of, in fact. Some of the pubs have a bit of a rep but what town can't you say that of?

Reading is a perfectly safe, pleasant place to live so long as you can afford to live in one of the better areas, of which there are plenty. The average salary is well above the national average and for the most part it comes across as a thriving, prosperous place. Sure it has its dodgy areas but so does everywhere.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
Thanks for the help! My other options are Hellerup in Denmark, Manheim in Germany, Uppsala in Sweden, and Singapore. At the moment I'm leaning towards Singapore.
The only one of those I know is Manheim. Actually quite similar to Reading, i.e. a fairly bland but prosperous industrial/commercial centre. Heidelberg nearby is a beautiful place though.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't even consider Reading over Singapore. But that's me..

Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
That's a bit misleading. Street fights are not 'uncommon' in any large town. Windsor gets plenty of that and it's one of the most expensive places to live in England. Liquid nightclub on William St can be pretty much guaranteed to produce a street fight every weekend. And all this within earshot of Her Majesty in the castle! Scandalous. Seriously though, crime is no more of an issue in Reading than in any other comparably large English town. Less than a few I can think of, in fact. Some of the pubs have a bit of a rep but what town can't you say that of?

Reading is a perfectly safe, pleasant place to live so long as you can afford to live in one of the better areas, of which there are plenty. The average salary is well above the national average and for the most part it comes across as a thriving, prosperous place. Sure it has its dodgy areas but so does everywhere.

I think the fact that's its not uncommon in any town is indicative of life in England in general. You're right that Windsor had its issues: I lived a block from the castle right next to the army barracks, which would provide some pretty violent, a albeit entertainment at the weekends.

I remember Reading as a dump. It's bearable for an English town but I would never move there for an experience from another country, and I doubt anyone being honest would either.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
At least Reading is within easy reach of some nice areas and towns- the Chilterns, Henley, Goring, Windsor, Eton, Slough ().

Old 07-19-2013, 02:31 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Uppsala is a university town with about 150000 citizens one hour away from Stockholm, so there should be plenty of young people there.
I have only passed through Uppsala, so I don´t know much about the nightlife, but they do have a couple of nightclubs, cafés and such for students and other youngsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom