Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I'm American and feel I hear more about them than President Obama. I have nothing against William and Kate, but I certainly don't care about what she wore yesterday or what her sister wore to the royal wedding. Some of publicity is over the top.

That said, I wish the family well. (And out of respect, God save the Queen.)
Well, it's just me, but I'd RATHER hear about Will and Kate than about the Obamas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, it's just me, but I'd RATHER hear about Will and Kate than about the Obamas.
Why? Even if you don't like them (and I'm very disappointed with Obama), are they not working? Having enormous influence in this country and around the world?? You're stating your interest in celebrity over what actually matters.

is it just a break from politics you enjoy?

Last edited by Mag3.14; 07-23-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/op...baby-bump.html

THE birth of the prince of Cambridge is the worst possible subject for a cynic like me. All we naysayers and pooh-poohers are obliged to stuff a sock in it. You simply cannot, you cannot, be down on the royal baby.

It’s strange, because aside from its inexhaustible capacity to cause traffic jams around Buckingham Palace for another pomp-laden Trooping the Color, the British monarchy wields no real power. The firstborn of the Duchess of Cambridge (that’s Kate Middleton to you) being third in line for the throne is of no more worldly import than my being third in line at my local London Tesco.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
I hear they're gonna name the kid George Michael because it took so long for him to come out.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Kates mum and dad have now left the hospital after visiting for over an hour. but its not known if the baby will be seen today or not by the public.

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-23-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Why? Even if you don't like them (and I'm very disappointed with Obama), are they not working? Having enormous influence in this country and around the world?? You're stating your interest in celebrity over what actually matters.

is it just a break from politics you enjoy?
I'm speaking more about the personal aspect than the political (that's why I used the word "Obamas" meaning ALL the Obamas, rather than "Barack Obama"). I think that William and Kate have more class and style, and since European history, especially British history, is a passion of mine, I think it's interesting to watch the changing role of British royalty.

I keep up with local, state, national, and world news, from a wide range of sources - don't you worry about me. But there's a lot of distressing and disturbing news out there - I find Kate and William's story to be refreshing and positive.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Me too... Ive not always liked or agreed about some Royals but this is a lovely couple and I wish them well.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm speaking more about the personal aspect than the political (that's why I used the word "Obamas" meaning ALL the Obamas, rather than "Barack Obama"). I think that William and Kate have more class and style, and since European history, especially British history, is a passion of mine, I think it's interesting to watch the changing role of British royalty.

I keep up with local, state, national, and world news, from a wide range of sources - don't you worry about me. But there's a lot of distressing and disturbing news out there - I find Kate and William's story to be refreshing and positive.

I think that if we stop thinking of the news as a credible outlet for what is important then we can accept "news" about the royal baby as legitimate entertainment. However, I wouldn't confuse what's going on with William and Kate with British history, as the two are independent of each other. "Class an style" are objective, but whatever floats your boat..

Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM

There's a hell of a lot of photographers from all over the world outside the hospital, so there is a lot of interest worldwide of the event no matter what some others think....

Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
There's a hell of a lot of photographers from all over the world outside the hospital, so there is a lot of interest worldwide of the event no matter what some others think....
That's funny: "it doesn't matter what others think" so long as they are interested right?!

Nobody outside the UK supports the monarchy other than a casual interest like that in celebrity. The difference is that the British state allocates precious resource to the family and supports a system that suggests some are just born with an entitlement to head of state status, along with absolute wealth (and technically power).

Tell me: is it OK that in the 21st century you would CHOOSE to call someone "highness"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom