Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,534,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
You remind me of someone else from Northern Ireland who used to post, but hasn't of late.

He'd come out with broad sweeping statements just like you are coming out with.
Yea, he's disappeared.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:05 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
do you know of any large city where people seem friendly and will talk to strangers on the street??

I find that in London that people are always apologizing. Even when something is my fault, I get the 'sorry'.
Well I did not have very good experiences in London. We got banged into alot and no one ever said anything. We were ignored alot too. When we would ask directions they would just barge past us. This would not happen here.

Of course the people in London are not all like that. I wasn't really meaning that they were all like that. I was just commenting on what I had experienced when visiting.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM

8,598 posts, read 9,093,828 times
Quote:
do you know of any large city where people seem friendly and will talk to strangers on the street??

I find that in London that people are always apologizing. Even when something is my fault, I get the 'sorry'.
That may explain the skit in the movie European Vacation. Chevy Chase, in a car, ran over a londoner on his bike several times. The victim would apologize every time chevy ran him down, by accident of course.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well I did not have very good experiences in London. We got banged into alot and no one ever said anything. We were ignored alot too. When we would ask directions they would just barge past us. This would not happen here.

Of course the people in London are not all like that. I wasn't really meaning that they were all like that. I was just commenting on what I had experienced when visiting.
You don't have a city there anywhere near the size of London with millions of people trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

I wouldn't bother asking directions in London. No one has time. But I do get apologised to often, usually when bumping into someone in the tube stations. I lived there for a short time and have also visited often. I love visiting. Living there....never again.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That may explain the skit in the movie European Vacation. Chevy Chase, in a car, ran over a londoner on his bike several times. The victim would apologize every time chevy ran him down, by accident of course.
Yep!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
You don't have a city there anywhere near the size of London with millions of people trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

I wouldn't bother asking directions in London. No one has time. But I do get apologised to often, usually when bumping into someone in the tube stations. I lived there for a short time and have also visited often. I love visiting. Living there....never again.
And thank goodness!
As I say it wasn't everyone who acted rude but a few (especially Cockney people), I found the cab drivers to be particularly nice. I have visited and enjoyed it but only for a few days as I found it sickening. For me the city buildings and no green grass is too much, I hate it.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,231,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

Ok, read it. It's the frikin Metro first of all, secondly its about 'advertising' UK based jobs in the EU (that big piece of land with a freedom of movement agreement with the UK!).

Nice of you to take the time to actually think though, rather than just responding with some irrelevant Metro article. Not that I expected anything more.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
tut tut, are we not getting a bit personal here Ian....

Old 07-30-2013, 04:04 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,242,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
And thank goodness!
As I say it wasn't everyone who acted rude but a few (especially Cockney people), I found the cab drivers to be particularly nice. I have visited and enjoyed it but only for a few days as I found it sickening. For me the city buildings and no green grass is too much, I hate it.
Eh? I think London is one of the greenest large cities in the world!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:25 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,673,882 times
Things I dislike about UK:-

1) Roads are very narrow.
2) Cars are expensive and smaller in size. Add to that high price of car insurance and Gasoline.
3) Even without tipping and Sales Tax, Restaurant Food is expensive.
4) Anti-social behaviour by young people on streets gets unpunished. Lot of petty crimes, burglary.
5) Alcohol culture. Its alright to enjoy a drink but everybody everyday is drunk it seems.
6) Foreign food is promoted a lot like Indian Curry, Chinese, Pizza while authentic British Food is not represented in food/restaurant culture.
7) Public Transportation is very limited on Sunday and in night time. This makes people spend money on expensive taxis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.