Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Most migrants like me came to Australia with nothing more than a couple of suitcases and a few hundred pounds, we worked 3 jobs between us, we also had two teenagers, we lived without the luxuries of new clothes etc. for 3 years to save for a home. The same for the people arriving in the UK they just want a job and a better life, yes you are entitled to your views but i do hope you change your mind, as you get older. I hope you will be able to rise above all this discrimination.

Mac15 has not made a single economic point to justify his/her anti immigration rhetoric. It's racist, simple as that. If you're not "like me" you don't belong here.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Next time come up to Glasgow Kathryn.... would love to meet you... maybe one day.....we were stopped in town by an American couple looking for the road to Glasgow Airport, not only did my hubby direct them but drove in front of the couple all the way to show them exactly where the cut off was for the airport. you cant ask for more than that for being friendly...
Now THAT'S friendly - and yes, if I ever come your way, you can bet I'll be giving you plenty of warning in advance and showing up looking for a cuppa tea!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Mac15 has not made a single economic point to justify his/her anti immigration rhetoric. It's racist, simple as that. If you're not "like me" you don't belong here.
You maybe correct in your assumptions, i would like to give him/her the benefit of the doubt and call it fear and ignorance.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Next time come up to Glasgow Kathryn.... would love to meet you... maybe one day.....we were stopped in town by an American couple looking for the road to Glasgow Airport, not only did my hubby direct them but drove in front of the couple all the way to show them exactly where the cut off was for the airport. you cant ask for more than that for being friendly...
That is typical of a Scot. I find them so helpful and willing to go out of their way. That's one reason I love it here!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
One thing I dont like is our midgies.. now I dont know if they have them elsewhere apart from Scotland but what wee pests these things are.... watch out or they ll bit yer bum if you come to visit...
The Midgieman, source of all knowledge and breeder of midges.
Hate those evil highland midgies. Milions of them where we live (west of Glasgow).

I've encountered midgies in the US but they are called, unofficially, no-see-ums. They don't swarm or bite as much and when they do they aren't as itchy.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
No see ums... I love it..wondered if anyone else had the wee nuisances.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
No see ums... I love it..wondered if anyone else had the wee nuisances.
Nothing compared to here though!

A couple of weeks ago we did a boat trip to Staffa but it was covered in fog (which we expected to lift before we got there). I climbed to the top and was swarmed and attacked by the midgies, something the guide and boat pilot had never heard of before on Staffa.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Wonder why that was. never been to Staffa, would love to visit.. did you get photos at all...

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Wonder why that was. never been to Staffa, would love to visit.. did you get photos at all...
Been on Iona many times but hadn't been to Staffa for about 10 years. None of my photos are very good, very foggy.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Hate those evil highland midgies. Milions of them where we live (west of Glasgow).

I've encountered midgies in the US but they are called, unofficially, no-see-ums. They don't swarm or bite as much and when they do they aren't as itchy.
I came to your neck of the woods last May, we were expecting the weather to be possibly a little grey and perhaps a little chilly and what we got was around 28 degrees centigrade, we stayed at a place called Wemyss Bay and on one of the days we visited the gardens of a curiously painted castle with a stream running through a ravine - the one thing I remember when climbing down to the cool depths to stand next to the stream is the cloud of midges there to greet me! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom