Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
You're absolutely right, not everybody wants the same thing. I'm sure your place is beautiful; Scotland has some absolutely breathtaking scenery. There is a time and place for most things, and individual taste. That's not to say you can't find the same beauty elsewhere of course, but you have found somewhere you like to be.
I have yet to find a country with more stunning scenery, and in a majority of the country outside the cities. The scenery is not the only reason I love it here.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
I wouldn't disagree. I like to travel to those cities too, and with much preference over a city like Vegas! I also loved Iceland when I went there, and all the other cities I have visited throughout the world. However, living and being a tourist are two totally different things. I don't understand your point about opening hours? Aw you referring to Vegas where everything is 24 hrs?

As for alcohol, the UK doesn't have the worst per capita consumption but it does have a terrible alcohol culture. No?
No - you misunderstood my point. I am saying UK cities could counterbalance binge drinking by letting stores open later so more people are in our towns and cities doing other things such as browsing, shopping or eating out into the night, as opposed to just getting drunk until they cannot walk. This is happening somewhat.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
A lot of famous chefs have opened restaurants in Las Vegas over the last decade. Some of them are even British, like Gordon Ramsay who just opened three restaurants in Vegas!

Gordon Ramsay to open 3 restaurants in Las Vegas - CBS News

I'm not a Vegas person, but that town reinvented itself over the last 20 years. All the old hotels were literally blown up and rebuilt. Some people preferred the old Las Vegas, but I saw it just prior to rebuilding and it desperately needed to be blown up.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, the old places were just sad and food quality had fallen to all-you-can-eat buffets. The rebuilding boom brought in serious dining with endless options.

I'm not a gambler, but I wouldn't mind going to Vegas just to bounce around from restaurant to restaurant.
I agree. As an American, I avoided going to Vegas for a good forty years, and then I went on a business trip there, and WOW! I was very pleasantly surprised. It was SO CLEAN and so much fun, and as you stated, the restaurants were amazing. I really enjoyed it and will probably go back again some day.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Ian is British and he was telling us how great Las Vegas is so I was wondering why he is always on the UK forum if Las Vegas is so great. I never said anyone is not allowed to come on here.

It appears that he is just coming on here to brag. But it is not working as we all know that Las Vegas is in a desert and has its flaws like everywhere else.
Oh, come on.

He loves where he lives but also has an interest in the UK. I am exactly the same way - I love Texas and really hope to live here the rest of my life, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy other places as well...for instance, the UK. I'll take every opportunity to correct misconceptions about my state - on this forum or in real life - but that doesn't mean I'm only here to brag about Texas. I would bet that Ian feels the same way.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
So I'd trade my roomy 3 bedroom 85 year old bungalow with stained glass windows on 1/2 acre of gorgeous gardens directly facing a sea loch with mountains around it for one of those characterless houses in the US? Yeah, right.
You can stay where you like. I wasn't making a negative comment about your home.

But I will gladly live in my three year old, spacious four bedroom home (with my 1800s stained glass window in the bathroom and my 100 year old swinging pub doors from England leading into my den), on an acre of gorgeous landscaping and my large flagstone patio overlooking my pool, and my wide front porch overlooking a neighborhood of lovely homes built of stone, brick, wood, you name it - a wide variety of styles but all less than five years old -and all sitting on lots ranging from one to five acres.

To each his own.

What I was clarifying is that just because many homes are new - that doesn't mean that they don't have character and charm.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely right, not everybody wants the same thing. I'm sure your place is beautiful; Scotland has some absolutely breathtaking scenery. There is a time and place for most things, and individual taste. That's not to say you can't find the same beauty elsewhere of course, but you have found somewhere you like to be.
Thank you - my point exactly. I wasn't saying anything negative about her choice of where to live. I'm sure it's lovely.

And I love where I live too. I don't have to run down someone else's choice of locale to feel great about my own choice.

While we're on the topic, here's an interesting generality:

Average home price in Scotland - $231,758
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/region12.stm

Average home price in the US - $152,000
http://www.statisticbrain.com/home-sales-average-price/

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-18-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I have yet to find a country with more stunning scenery, and in a majority of the country outside the cities. The scenery is not the only reason I love it here.
And the new homes aren't the only reason why I love living in Texas.

By the way, here in Texas we have stunning scenery as well. Just so you know.

I prefer it over most other places on this earth. You prefer Scotland. Both are valid preferences based on individual personalities and reasons.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 AM

By the way, I've posted many pictures of my trip to beautiful England. I really loved it there and thought the Yorkshire landscapes were amazing. I'm sure I'd enjoy photographing and experiencing Scotland as well.

I loved, loved, loved visiting the UK and look forward to doing so again next year. It was very different from the US in some ways - and very similar in other ways. Would I want to live there? No. But I do admire much about the culture and I thought much of the landscape was striking. And a lot of it looked a lot like many places in the US, too.

I found the similarities to be just as interesting as the differences. Nice people overall too (another similarity to the people I interact with in Texas).

I felt right at home. Then I got home, and felt right at home here too!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - my point exactly. I wasn't saying anything negative about her choice of where to live. I'm sure it's lovely.

And I love where I live too. I don't have to run down someone else's choice of locale to feel great about my own choice.

While we're on the topic, here's an interesting generality:

Average home price in Scotland - $231,758
BBC NEWS | In Depth | UK House Prices | Scotland

Average home price in the US - $152,000
Home Sales Average Price | Statistic Brain
Converting the price of a home in Scotland to dollars is irrelevant. Almost all who live in the UK are not buying their homes with dollars, they are buying them with pounds. Their income is in pounds, not dollars.

I have rarely seen a new house that had any character.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I have rarely seen a new house that had any character.
Well, let's just say our life experiences differ SIGNIFICANTLY.

And I am glad that my life experiences allow me to enjoy and appreciate the cultures of both the UK and the US.

Since our house is up for sale in Texas and we've been looking at mostly new construction homes to move to in the same area, thought I'd post some pictures of new homes in East Texas - several of which we've been looking at seriously:

Here's our top contender:

Here's a shot of the living room:

These may not be the STYLE you prefer, but they do have character.

As for pounds vs dollars, let's go by what your pound or dollar buys you:

The average American spends 30 percent of their income on housing, and the average UK citizen spends 40 percent.
http://www.census.gov/housing/census...can-afford.pdf
http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...-third-highest

And average home sizes are:

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-18-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom