Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Those look more like English rock cakes, whilst "biscuits" look more like scones

I'm of the scone=john school if anyone's still checking

Kathryn, did you make plain or go fancy with raisins or grated cheese in the mix?
I made them plain this time, but people writing the reviews gave lots of great ideas about what can be added to them.

I enjoy making them in triangles, and I make them smallish. I've never tasted a scone, in the UK or in the US, that wasn't slightly, slightly sweet (ones with fruit in them were a bit sweeter). In the southern US, biscuits (as we call them - bread in other words, not cookies) are not typically sweet at ALL. So in that regard, scones definitely differ from biscuits or rolls in the US.

When I was in the UK, scones LOOKED like US biscuits and had a similar texture, but didn't taste like them. Definitely sweeter and a bit more crumbly.

But I like both!

Are UK scones always round or are they sometimes triangular? They're triangular over here.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-29-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
I've always made them round, we would either use a wavy edged cutter or a tea cup for the size

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I've always made them round, we would either use a wavy edged cutter or a tea cup for the size
Interesting. I went on the BBC food site and found that most of them are round. However, this recipe distinctly states to cut them in triangular wedges.
BBC - Food - Recipes : Rich scones

But maybe that's "American style!" LOL who knows? Certainly not me. I had never even heard of scones till a few years ago when the evil Starbucks started carrying them.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I made them plain this time, but people writing the reviews gave lots of great ideas about what can be added to them.

I enjoy making them in triangles, and I make them smallish. I've never tasted a scone, in the UK or in the US, that wasn't slightly, slightly sweet (ones with fruit in them were a bit sweeter). In the southern US, biscuits (as we call them - bread in other words, not cookies) are not typically sweet at ALL. So in that regard, scones definitely differ from biscuits or rolls in the US.

When I was in the UK, scones LOOKED like US biscuits and had a similar texture, but didn't taste like them. Definitely sweeter and a bit more crumbly.

But I like both!

Are UK scones always round or are they sometimes triangular? They're triangular over here.
They are always round here.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Well, this particular mix is DELICIOUS. Great reviews as well. I will definitely reorder it!

And to clarify, I'm sort of a snob about using all natural ingredients, cooking from scratch, etc but... I'm definitely making an exception in this case!
But scones are really easy to make from scratch.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But scones are really easy to make from scratch.
Probably so. I'll give it a try one day, I'm sure. I don't want to use the BBC recipes though, because the measurements and all that are not "in American." We don't measure ingredients by ounces or grams or whatever, we measure them by portions of a cup. So I really have no idea what 3 oz of sugar translates to!

This mix was amazing though - from the moment I opened the pantry to pull the box out, till I popped them in the oven, was less than five minutes and then it took only 12 minutes for them to bake. And I even sprinkled just a bit of raw sugar on top of them (I wanted a few sugar crystals for "effect" on top!) which was a (gasp) EXTRA step! I was truly amazed that they tasted good. Heck, they are better than good - they are delicious. Of course, the clotted cream makes the entire experience absolutely decadent.

So...next challenge is to find a "from scratch" recipe that's in American measurements but is authentically British. Hmmm...

Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
These conversion tables might help, Kathryn;

Conversion tables - from Delia Online

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
These conversion tables might help, Kathryn;

Conversion tables - from Delia Online
Ah, that's cool! I mean, my quest is for AUTHENTIC scones after all.

These I made taste like the ones I had in Yorkshire - I think. I mean, they are tender and crumbly but soft on the inside and a little sweet. But I only had one scone there so my memory is rusty.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Ah, that's cool! I mean, my quest is for AUTHENTIC scones after all.

These I made taste like the ones I had in Yorkshire - I think. I mean, they are tender and crumbly but soft on the inside and a little sweet. But I only had one scone there so my memory is rusty.
I make them from scratch using 3 cups of S R Flour, 1 cup of milk 1 cup of cream OR yoghurt or 1/2 cream 1/2 yoghurt, and 1 cup grated cheese.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I make them from scratch using 3 cups of S R Flour, 1 cup of milk 1 cup of cream OR yoghurt or 1/2 cream 1/2 yoghurt, and 1 cup grated cheese.
Bake them at what temp for how long?

I like the idea of cheese scones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom