Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:42 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,014,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
LOL- yes the NC scenery is quite like England. But for us that's probably where the similarity ends.
I hated that series with Stephen Fry.
Virginia has the most England-like scenery IMO, especially further inland.

Culturally it has to be the New England region that is most similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 AM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
I would think that the Historic Triangle region of Virginia would be interesting to UK residents, with it's historic ties to England. There is an excellent museum at Jamestown with tons of British artifacts and all sorts of interesting stuff showing the ties between the colonists and England. Also, Williamsburg and Yorktown would be interesting I would think as well. And at Yorktown there is the house where Cornwallis surrendered - you can just walk through it (of course with the shutdown it is probably closed -it's manned by Park Rangers), and you can look out across the yard to the bay and imagine all those troops standing there. The Yorktown battlefield has always been very poignant to me as well. And of course, Yorktown itself is a charming town.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,572,333 times
Anywhere with lots of history suits me... Im not keen on visiting places that are too hot but would like to visit some islands off America, the ones with character..

Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,014,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I would think that the Historic Triangle region of Virginia would be interesting to UK residents, with it's historic ties to England. There is an excellent museum at Jamestown with tons of British artifacts and all sorts of interesting stuff showing the ties between the colonists and England. Also, Williamsburg and Yorktown would be interesting I would think as well. And at Yorktown there is the house where Cornwallis surrendered - you can just walk through it (of course with the shutdown it is probably closed -it's manned by Park Rangers), and you can look out across the yard to the bay and imagine all those troops standing there. The Yorktown battlefield has always been very poignant to me as well. And of course, Yorktown itself is a charming town.
It's a beautiful state, often not a prime international tourist destination, but the scenery is great, particularly the Blue Ridge Mountains. Driving through rural Virginia reminded me a bit of the English countryside: similar rolling hills, woodland and farms that look like they'd been there for at least a couple of centuries. I didn't get to see the battlefields. Noted for next time.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
It's a beautiful state, often not a prime international tourist destination, but the scenery is great, particularly the Blue Ridge Mountains. Driving through rural Virginia reminded me a bit of the English countryside: similar rolling hills, woodland and farms that look like they'd been there for at least a couple of centuries. I didn't get to see the battlefields. Noted for next time.
Oh, do come back and see them. Yorktown is especially poignant and interesting. Also, if you didn't see Mount Vernon last time you were here, be sure to check it out! It's about an hour or a little less south of Washington DC on the way down to the Historic Triangle area.

Also, I found Fort Monroe to be unexpectedly interesting and charming. Besides the museum, which was pretty cool, there are some little beach areas that are not super busy, feel very private, and are a nice little getaway. That's an especially good little getaway for a family with kids.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:54 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,526,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I'm flying to Knoxville in a couple of days. I've never visited Tennessee so should be interesting.
I lived in Knoxville for ten years prior to moving to Scotland. It's surrounded by beautiful scenery - Smokeys, lakes, etc. Autumn and spring are especially gorgeous.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,913,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have visited Yorktown and loved it, the journey there took us past marked battlefields and countryside was lush green a bit like England. Would love to visit again and spend more time.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I have visited Yorktown and loved it, the journey there took us past marked battlefields and countryside was lush green a bit like England. Would love to visit again and spend more time.
It's one of my favorite spots in the US. So glad you liked it and I hope you can come back and visit that area again.

My daughter standing where Cornwallis and his troops stood:

View of Yorktown harbor from the village:

Guns pointed to the harbor at Yorktown:

Nearby Williamsburg - the area is especially beautiful in the fall of the year:

Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 AM

26,638 posts, read 28,461,518 times
Thanks, Kathryn. I would love to go to that area of Virginia sometime. Williamsburg looks really nice and Virginia, on the whole, is a pretty state.

Here's something in New England for the history buffs--and I've never even been to it! I'm too chicken to sleep on the ground all night, maybe in the rain, to be able to see this:

Battle Road - Lexington and Concord

Lexington, MA is where the Revolutionary War started and the first shot was about 5:30 in the morning. These days there is a re-enactment which I have heard is well worth experiencing. Bring a sleeping bag. April is usually cool and rainy but this past year they had a warm beautiful day for it, from what I read.

No one knows who fired first, the Redcoats or the Patriots. Paul Revere's famous ride from Boston -- "Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm."

Something that intrigues my Brit husband is this:

Visitor Info
It's an old ship that you can tour. There is also a museum that dh cannot be dragged out of. If you take the hop on hop off tour of Boston, it stops there.

Right now the foliage is starting to get good and it's time to make the pilgrimage to the nearest farm to stock up on vegetables, especially apples, for the winter and to eat freshly made donuts--and whatever ELSE they have. Jams, pickles, pies, etc. You are spoiled for choice.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks, Kathryn. I would love to go to that area of Virginia sometime. Williamsburg looks really nice and Virginia, on the whole, is a pretty state.

Here's something in New England for the history buffs--and I've never even been to it! I'm too chicken to sleep on the ground all night, maybe in the rain, to be able to see this:

Battle Road - Lexington and Concord

Lexington, MA is where the Revolutionary War started and the first shot was about 5:30 in the morning. These days there is a re-enactment which I have heard is well worth experiencing. Bring a sleeping bag. April is usually cool and rainy but this past year they had a warm beautiful day for it, from what I read.

No one knows who fired first, the Redcoats or the Patriots. Paul Revere's famous ride from Boston -- "Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm."

Something that intrigues my Brit husband is this:

Visitor Info
It's an old ship that you can tour. There is also a museum that dh cannot be dragged out of. If you take the hop on hop off tour of Boston, it stops there.

Right now the foliage is starting to get good and it's time to make the pilgrimage to the nearest farm to stock up on vegetables, especially apples, for the winter and to eat freshly made donuts--and whatever ELSE they have. Jams, pickles, pies, etc. You are spoiled for choice.
Not this year but probably next year, my husband and I really want to go to the Boston area and then on up the New England coast. I want to avoid the busiest tourist season but still get nice weather and was thinking about September (after the summer rush and before the fall foliage rush). What are your suggestions? I'd also love to see New England in the fall as well -is it just ridiculously crowded at all the tourist spots then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom