Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 AM

703 posts, read 446,266 times

Advertisements

We hear today that house prices are rising in the UK.
How can this possibly be good news for the large number of people who don't have a hope in hell of buying a property even at the existing inflated prices?
Is it in fact good news at all? Seems to me there's a general desire to climb back on the borrowing wagon we fell off not so long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,176,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
How can this possibly be good news for the large number of people who don't have a hope in hell of buying a property even at the existing inflated prices?
Is it in fact good news at all? Seems to me there's a general desire to climb back on the borrowing wagon we fell off not so long ago.
The recent report in the fall in wages in the U.K. would certainly seem an ominous counterpoint.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
House prices outside London and the south east grew by 1%. London and its vicinity is a crazy economy almost a law unto itself. Its property prices have risen almost eight times as fast as the rest of the country; fueled by cheap money from the BofE and government backed mortgages. The problem is that construction isn't producing the supply side so prices are inflating. If the minimum wage increases so will the cost of living, and as Britain's manufacturing sector deteriorates and its financial sector keeps eating more of the country's GDP, inequality will increase even more rapidly.

London is almost becoming a republic of its own!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,565,354 times
No. The market in London/SE in particular is overheated, there is great demand but little housing being built. Houses are so expensive because so many people want one, but there are so few available. This isn't a good situation to be in - these houses aren't necessarily expensive on their own merit, simply because so many people want one.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM

703 posts, read 446,266 times
None of this adds up does it. I'm in Wales and I read today that house prices here have risen the fastest at 4.3%. This is claptrap. All I see around here are houses being reduced because there are no buyers.
I really do wonder if this is being 'talked up' by estate agents and other vested interest.
As regards London, didn't I read that a lot of property is attracting buyers from abroad and therefore inflating prices even more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom