Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I had a whale of a time in New York where my then to be wife had an apartment, and generally got on extremely well with the locals.

Religion and politics were very big Hot Potatoes living in Houston.

Americans think that everything they do is better but often don't know anything different.

To dare suggest that things might be done a different way is to tread dodgy ground.
As an American living in the UK I have to deal with a few of my family and friends in the US telling me that people pronounce words the wrong way here, or use the wrong word. They think using a different word indicates that one is better than the other. No, just different. I have to think before I speak as I get funny looks or am misunderstood. Apparently as soon as I walk through US immigration I'm supposed to suddenly go back to using only American words.

My husband (Scot) was corrected when he said renaissance (long a), and I get corrected when I say herb with an h. So I correct them when they say Vincent Van Go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
OK well you are really asking my to lay it on the line here so here are some examples:

During the last presidential election I was really interested in finding out about the politics but I found people very wary about talking about their own personal views on this. I very straightforwardly said to a few 'friends' that I thought Obama was fabulous but that I liked a few things Mitt Romney said too. I was just being honest. I was looking for a friendly conversation and frankly an education about American politics but everyone made very clear by their body language and response that they didn't want to talk about it at all.
Well, there is an old saying in the U.S. ... "Never talk about politics or religion."

However, that doesn't mean all people abide by it. My friends and family do talk about politics and we don't agree with each other. I'm not sure why you got that reaction because your questions sounded very general.

That said, most people don't like to get into it if they know the person has opposite views because they're afraid it will lead to a passionate disagreement ending in bad feelings. The last several years have been very tense because many people feel the country is going to hell in a hand basket, so a lot was riding on the last election.

Quote:
Another big one is religion. I made what I thought was a very good friend here in the first six months. She is a Christian and would tell me about things going on in church etc and I'd listen with interest / amusement, whatever. I didn't think anything about it but it was a good few months into the friendship that I mentioned in passing one day that I was an atheist. I have never had problems with this back home so I didn't even think about it as an issue. Big mistake. From then on I got a completely different attitude with constant digs about how god did this and god did that and how we should be thankful to god etc - basically stuff that had never been said in that way before, plus a decided 'cold' turn to the relationship. When I told my husband he said: "What?? You never talk about religion in America".... Huh??

Ok so politics and religion I admit are biggies and perhaps I was naive and should have known better. But the point is I have never felt back home that either are topics that should not be talked about.
The only thing that surprises me about your friend's reaction is that it happened in California. If it happened in the southeast, there would be no surprise at all.

Yeah, it's a very Christian country and I think a lot of atheists and agnostics are very careful who they talk to about their lack of belief. There are even Meet Up groups for them, probably because they need others to talk to. LOL. There is starting to be a shift and the atheist/agnostic camp is growing in the U.S., especially among younger people. But it's not like Europe ... yet.

Your friend's "cold" treatment of you is annoying, but I've seen it before. She thinks you are going to hell and wants to prevent it, and she most likely believes that anyone who isn't a Christian automatically can't have morals. You wouldn't believe how many Christians are convinced that the only reason to be good is the threat of hell.

Sorry that happened to you. I hate stuff like that too. You get more or less of that reaction depending on where you live. But as I said, that's an unusual reaction in California - especially the Bay area.

Quote:
Crime seems to be another issue that is off the table with some people. They just don't want to know. We have a big crime issue here where I live which is a big concern of mine but I have real difficultly trying to get anyone to talk about it. I can't work out if they are in denial and don't want to know or they are embarrassed about talking about it to someone from outside America. I really don't know. I have given up trying to bring the subject up. For example I was shocked about a child that was shot in my neighbourhood but when I tried to talk about it at the school gates a few mothers told me they never watch the news and changed the subject.
Hmmm. That sounds like the luck of the draw. Some people do pride themselves on not watching the news because it's too negative and they don't want it to affect them. But this isn't universal at all. You could have just as easily fallen in with people that do want to talk about it. I'd say you are looking at denial.

Quote:
My husband has both been praised at work for his 'straightforwardness', and chided about it. He has been told by some that he is a breath of fresh air because he talks openly about topics that others seem afraid to bring up - management issues - you know the kind of thing that can fester if you don't clear the air. He just gets things sorted out. But he has also been chastised for referring to women as 'girls' as it is apparently not appropriate? He has also found that he has to be much more careful about what he says.
Not surprised someone said something about referring to women as "girls". Over decades, there have been endless articles written about the indignity of calling women "girls". It used to be common.

The main issue is that in the workplace, men are called "men", so why aren't women called "women"? The feeling is that calling them "girls" takes away their status as grownups. It's seen as slighting their dignity and equality. If the men were called "boys" at work, they wouldn't like it.

It's part feminism and part political correctness, but this one is a biggie. There is no way you could have known this though.

Because I deal with business people in the U.K., I have read a lot about the differences. I saw an advice web site for Brits doing business in America that made it a point to advise them to expect to see more women in positions with clout and power here. I don't know what to make of that, except that it implies that women are not as often in those positions in the U.K.

I have no idea.

Quote:
I am told though by a couple of former New Yorkers I since got to know that this sort of behaviour is strictly a west coast thing and that they have had similar experiences themselves. New Yorkers / east coasters are apparently far more like Brits - not afraid to talk about anything. I don't think of myself as particularly harsh or brash - I've never been one to go steaming in there with forthright opinions to people I don't know. But I have never had the experience of topics being 'off the table' with people who I think of as friends. Hence I have made better friends with the New Yorkers.
People in the northeast are known for bluntness and telling it like it is.

If you run into trouble, just explain that you're British and such conversations are normal there. Maybe it will open up their world a little. At least, it gets you off the hook. Americans get into trouble in the U.K. too. I don't know how anyone can avoid getting into trouble if they're in another country long enough.

Heck, I do business with Brits only over the phone, and I can tell you there are different expectations about how things get done. I imagine living there as an American doing business would present more minefields.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 08-22-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
As an American living in the UK I have to deal with a few of my family and friends in the US telling me that people pronounce words the wrong way here, or use the wrong word. They think using a different word indicates that one is better than the other. No, just different. I have to think before I speak as I get funny looks or am misunderstood. Apparently as soon as I walk through US immigration I'm supposed to suddenly go back to using only American words.

My husband (Scot) was corrected when he said renaissance (long a), and I get corrected when I say herb with an h. So I correct them when they say Vincent Van Go.
H should be silent. Herb should be pronounced erb, anything else is incorrect (aitch rather than haitch).

My boss has given me some feedback on my emails here; for example, the word whilst. Also, my initial use of the 24hr clock. She thought it was funny and "cute" but shouldn't be used in formal communication.

Van Gough is a name so not really the same thing but here is a sound file of how it should be pronounced if you really want to split hairs http://www.vggallery.com/misc/vincent_van_gogh.mp3

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
H should be silent. Herb should be pronounced erb, anything else is incorrect (aitch rather than haitch).

My boss has given me some feedback on my emails here; for example, the word whilst. Also, my initial use of the 24hr clock. She thought it was funny and "cute" but shouldn't be used in formal communication.

Van Gough is a name so not really the same thing but here is a sound file of how it should be pronounced if you really want to split hairs http://www.vggallery.com/misc/vincent_van_gogh.mp3
Well, my home in now in the UK and people pronounce the 'h' and so do I. 'erb sounds really stupid to me now.

I prefer the 24 hour clock.

I already know how to properly pronounce Van Gogh. One of my siblings does as well but he's in a tiny minority.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:
One of the Brits we do business with, sent over something with the date 10-8-13. At first, I thought he was going to wait until October to do whatever it was he was supposed to do!

And then I remembered how they write dates.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
One of the Brits we do business with, sent over something with the date 10-8-13. At first, I thought he was going to wait until October to do whatever it was he was supposed to do!

I had a really hard time getting used to the UK way of dates. The one that really did my head in was saying the 21st of the 11th. Huh?

Now I get confused when looking at dates the US way. Always have to stop and think.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

Oh yes, that takes some getting used to. I still have issues with that as it makes more sense to go day/month/year rather than month/day/year.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Well, my home in now in the UK and people pronounce the 'h' and so do I. 'erb sounds really stupid to me now.

I prefer the 24 hour clock.

I already know how to properly pronounce Van Gogh. One of my siblings does as well but he's in a tiny minority.

I prefer the 24hr clock too, especially for work. That way there is no confusion over am/pm (especially here in a 3 shift city).

Even in the UK the "h" should be silent. I was always taught that in school even though a lot if people there don't do it.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I prefer the 24hr clock too, especially for work. That way there is no confusion over am/pm (especially here in a 3 shift city).

Even in the UK the "h" should be silent. I was always taught that in school even though a lot if people there don't do it.
It does make more sense especially on things like train or flight schedules. Otherwise you have to put in a.m. or p.m.

I've never ever heard anyone in the UK say 'erb.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM

10,519 posts, read 6,156,619 times
I have never heard anyone in the UK say 'erb' either.

According to the Oxford English dictionary:
Pronunciation: /həːb/
herb: definition of herb in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

According to the Cambridge English Dictionary:
UK pronounciation: /hɜːb/
US pronounciation: /ɝːb/

To listen to the correct way to pronounce in each country follow this link:
herb noun - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
and click on the red and blue speaker icons.

Quote:
Middle English: via Old French from Latin herba 'grass, green crops, herb'. Although herb has always been spelled with an h, pronunciation without it was usual until the 19th century and is still standard in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom